1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Large scale field experiment for adjusting ocean pH to capture carbon is planned.

Cape Cod scientists want to dump 60,000+ gallons of sodium hydroxide into ocean in climate change experiment

Those against are ignorant or cynics using emotional messaging. Solid sodium hydroxide, NaOH, or lye is nasty stuff you don't want on you, but the project is talking about pouring in gallons. It is predissovled, so even if the starting solution is of dangerous strength, it will quickly disperse in the ocean currents.

tochatihu likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Had not heard of this. WHOI plans to add 50% NaOH and that is plenty nasty. Reliable eye protection at least.

FAQs: The LOC-NESS Project

I see a bulk price $USD 362 per ton of 50% NaOH. Not showing my work (but I could) this means a direct cost of about $1370 per ton of CO2 sequestered. That is not a low price compared to other C seq technologies, but maybe there are other benefits such as mitigating ocean acidification.

Making NaOH involves electrolysis, and if that electricity comes from 'burning stuff', this will not be a carbon negative process. Sounds like fun though.

==
    I have students play with CO2 measuring equipment and 1 molar NaOH solution. But still with eye protection :) [CO2] in lab air can be 800 ppm (with windows closed). Watching that go to zero in a matter of seconds is impressive.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We use a NaOH solution capture CO2 from fermentation. Have to be careful not to have the carbonate made go further to bicarb.