1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Marketplace just had an interview with the head of the National Park Service. That person said their annual budget is $3 billion and they have deferred maintenance of $12 billion. I'd pay more to visit a National Park, if it were assured the money would go to staffing and running the park.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

KennyGS likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That has been a problem in the past, and I don't remember hearing any different since. Some parks I have visited were collecting fees only during peak traffic times, and leaving the entrance booths unstaffed the rest of the time. Entrance fees were funneled directly to the U.S. Treasury, with the individual Parks getting no benefit from incremental collections. So with limited resources, they didn't have any financial incentive to keep the booths staffed for longer hours.

Mt Rainier now has kiosks to pay entrance fees after hours. But when I've entered after hours as part of volunteer park work, there were no checks to separate freeloaders from those entering on annual or volunteer passes.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Asteroid mining of nickel and cobalt may not sound like env. news. But much known reserves are under tropical forests, and we need to make a bunch of magnets.

Off-planet aspects covered here:

Japlonik

(had to do that linky thing)

4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Send robots.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    at the rate Brazil is burning through their rainforests, for a great cause, there will be plenty of area to look for magnet material. Seems you can get maybe 2 or 3 good rotations out of the virtually sterile rainforest soil (once you strip away the jungles) for corn. You got to feed those cows & make ethanol ya know.
    I love people.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what else is there?

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Just get out there at night. Out somewhere dark. December is tough in N hemisphere so maybe wait. But get those kids and grandkids and nieces and nephews out of night-lit cities and on their backs looking up.

Don't tell them what they are seeing. Ask them what they think. Just take it from there; wherever it goes.

Y'know what's really different about night sky now, than when I was a kid? Earth-orbiting satellites are many, readily seen, and nifty. After twilight and before dawn.

RCO, iplug and pilotgrrl like this.
  9. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It used to be neat to go out at night in summer and catch fireflies ("lightning bugs"). I see them rarely now. They probably got killed off by all the pesticides put on lawns...

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By any chance, have you moved away from their normal geographic distribution?

I have never seen them due to my geography.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We are fortunate enough to have thousands of them each year. The channel by the pond lights up, as if there was a miniature concert. It's quite a sight.

tochatihu and pilotgrrl like this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi John :)

I've seen no clear evidence that US fireflies have generally crashed. Much evidence of them moving around.

Youse people put insecticides on lawns? That's just weird.

13. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I had a house, I used to put sevin around the foundation to keep bugs out of the house, but I never put anything on the lawn.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Beetle family Lampyridae would not have much use for 'lawns'. Grass shoots and roots. Trees and shrubbiness, yes.

I am just taken aback by notion that applying not-very-selective toxins to one's lawn is good. It supposes that one has thorough understanding of functions of potential toxin victims there.

And yes I have seen lawn signs warning "don't walk here we sprayed". Also seen pizzagate. Similarly unmoved.

A person could defend house foundation (against whatever) by making a chemical 'moat'. This would snuff random spiders, not your target, but we have no shortage of spiders. So I am told.

I am a fan of 'Sevin'; it went through regulatory crimp but that is being lifted. It's hard to self kill with this because you get a fantastic headache at about 0.5

My specific opponent was fire ants. Those can make the yard unpleasant for humans and pets. I'd kill fire ants with Sevin or gasoline or however.

Interesting thing about fire ants though. My Puerto Rico kitchen had lots of ant action except when fire ant 'scout colonies' were near. They just eat everybody else.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better sealing my house to greatly reduce cold air infiltration, an energy conservation measure, has also greatly reduced spider infiltration.

Most other bugs inside the house have been too scarce to bother with. Exceptions were fleas brought in by cats the very first summer (today's flea collars seem much easier that the fleas bombs / cat baths / carpet spray needed back then), and kitchen fruit flies this year (compost bucket was 'leaking' around lid, had to block that and empty/clean it often enough to interrupt fly reproduction cycle).

#255 fuzzy1, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    tochatihu likes this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Physics>>Chemistry. Gotta like.

But gotta ask: Are spiders so unwelcome, in house?

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the spouse, they are highly unwelcome.

Having grown up in a very leaky house (air and otherwise) built just before WWI, spiders and various other bugs were simply inevitable, so I had learned to be much less excited about them.

New housemate == new house rules.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Arachnophobia is not something we can resolve here.

But those little octopods do indeed have some nifty schemes. Could never dominate a planet with tree/fire/ downward [O2] resetting in place. Yet if they could..

==
    No! I woke this thread for dark sky observing of all beyond Earth. Talk about that.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's an east of the rockies thing. It wasn't until mid-the 1970's camping in the Ozarks that I saw my 1st batch. Quite a sight to remember - out in the middle of a field at twilight
    Hey! A Brown Recluse Spider Bit Me!
    These Critters know no boundaries whether east or west of the Rockies. 20 years ago I got bit in the thumb & w/in an hour my thumb looked like a huge tomato. Similarly, back in Nashville, our daughter has to regularly have their house & surrounding yard sprayed as they come in from the neighbors & she fears for her children, all under 9 years of age.
    [​IMG]
    At one time these were only in the southern states, but people move around, and before you know it, voilĂ  ~ hear they are in California.
    Do NOT look up pictures of brown recluse bites. It will gross you out.

#259 hill, Dec 21, 2017
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I grew up on the fringe of civilized development well beyond this new Idaho Dark Sky Reserve, but still with an essentially contiguous connection to it over US Forest Service lands and protected Wilderness Areas. On one side of dad's farm, on a line towards Stanley, there are no paved roads other than those entering Stanley itself. The biggest 'town' I know about within that region is unincorporated, with a population under 20, accessed only by gravel roads.

Sadly, the nearby community in the other direction pays no attention to efficient lighting, and those 'insecurity' lights have greatly increased over my lifetime. But even with those, arriving on the farm early last week at night, I got a wonderful Milky Way view the moment I stepped out of my Prius (headlight off delay set to zero), without needing any time for additional dark adaptation. And quickly spotted the hazy patch of the Andromeda Galaxy, M31. (That was also the Prius' last trip there until spring. New snow during the visit produced negative ground clearance on the way out.)

The best dark sky I can remember was when camping along Highway 212, somewhere near the Wyoming - Montana border, between Beartooth Pass and the Northeast Entrance to Yellowstone National Park, at nearly 10,000 feet elevation.

Many folks think of the proper night sky as being black. No, it is quite bright from natural airglow, after a reasonable time for the eyes to adapt. It appears black only when (1) one's eyes are still saturated by bright artificial light, (2) very heavy clouds completely block the sky (e.g. during downpours) far away from artificial light and moonlight, (3) beneath a very solid forest canopy, or (4) when the retina is hypoxic at high altitude. When young, I walked back home in the dark (from hunting or hiking) numerous times. The natural light was easily enough to walk on the open bumpy forest roads without turning on a flashlight, though inadequate to navigate trail hazards under the adjacent closed forest canopy.

---------------
    Friends spent a week backpacking within this new dark sky zone in August, and we would have joined them if not for a couple other high value activities the same week. Then they stayed over a couple extra days to experience the Great American Eclipse. Some of their lake pictures align with those in the materials sub-linked from #247 above. I need to backpack there too, some year very soon.

I was still able to see the eclipse, having just enough time to drive to Weiser, car camping in town with several thousand other watchers.

#260 fuzzy1, Dec 21, 2017
    Andyprius1 likes this.