1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would argue that lack of faa oversight is the major issue here. allowing boeing to make safety decisions based on cost is the crux of the problem.

advocates from the pilots union and passenger safety need to be involved. but to have to have this discussion in 2019 ultimately means that nothing will change. the attitude that air disasters are rare is what perpetuates the ingrained system.

imagine no air disasters, but at what cost and how to compete globally under different regulations?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I won't claim any professional credential on that topic. Just a bit of actual stick-and-rudder time strictly off book, never took a class or got a rating. Considered aviation as a career path, was advised to stay out if I wanted to feed a family/enjoy life. Now I fly a lot for business and it gives me lots of time to think about aviation in general, from seat 35K. Well that and I enjoy racing 250-gram drones on calm days.

Hmmm.... that's only planned to be about 3500lbs heavier (MTOW) than the -9... I wonder if they could do a lower density seat layout to equalize? An airline using Boeing's money to provide a little extra elbow room would compete very well against another using the A321neo... would make a heck of an apology to the airline and the flying public. The -9 @ MTOW needs an 8500' takeoff run, wonder how different it would be for a lightened -10 and if that would exclude it from any of the airports they were hoping to service.

I've already established that I'm a complete outsider with no professional connection, so this should be taken strictly as unqualified opinion... but I have a strong sense that Boeing has spent the last 20 years trying to convert themselves into a virtual airplane manufacturer. They seem to be working very hard to eliminate their home-grown corps of engineering and a lot of their own manufacturing in favor of contractors and subsidiaries. And the glue they use to bind it all together is software and management.

Obviously they still have an enormous investment in assembly facilities, they aren't out of the build process. But It seems very different from not that long ago. I think they siphoned the confidence out of my tank to fill theirs.

#702 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  3. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    [​IMG]

Monarch butterflies are one of Earth’s most iconic and beloved creatures.
    But in recent years, dramatic loss of their milkweed habitat—driven by human development and climate change—threatens to drive the monarch butterfly to extinction. Because most of the land along the monarch’s migration route is privately owned, forging partnerships with the farmers and ranchers in America’s heartland is critical to ensuring a future for monarch butterflies.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    love the monarch, but am more concerned with the future of bees

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The futures of bees are fine. Human are more concerned with the future of food crops pollinated by bees (and maybe commercial honey production).

DSC_0248.JPG

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's the energy use difference between recycling glass and washing/sterilizing?

i bought farm fresh milk in london in 1972, that was an experience :cool:

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Compare life cycle analyses of reusable glass and recycled PETE (plastic) bottles. Possible information source:

Life Cycles

bisco likes this.
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bottles for recycling are thinner, and thus cost less to transport. But c'mon.... heating the glass up to 2000°F to get it to flow, vs. blasting it with 250°F steam?

The toughest part about returnables was always in getting people to actually return them. Disposables were always about convenience fueling greater sales.

It's on my mind due to a local phenomena where our town has completely changed the way things are recycled, and I'm now motivated to avoid recycling as much as possible.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm on board.
    when i was a kid, we used to walk the beach every night and collect bottles. we'd turn them in for the deposit which was 2 cents and a big number for a ten year old, then splurge on candy, etc.
    and, we kept the beach clean

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm hearing that recycling isn't working with china off board, could be a win for both countries

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    True that China has topped or much reduced international container recycling. That US is not building lots more domestic capacity.

Unfortunately, that a bunch of stuff ends up in landfills in Indonesia, that government says do not exist.

Perhaps a controversial opinion -, if one's only two choices are dump in Indonesia or make Pacific Ocean garbage patch bigger, I lean towards the latter. Sea turtles and whales might not agree.

Mention this false paradox to highlight idea that recycling (all forms) 'works' when leakage is minimized.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hawaii wants to ban plastics

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we buy iced greens in a plastic container, it's convenient, but depressing

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    polyethylene terepthalate ester.

Ester is Pete's sister.

bisco likes this.
  18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So far the best compromise I've found is to wet my whistle with beer bought from bars, carried home in my own growler jugs. The practice has been enjoying some fad status lately, but it is hampered locally by really clueless bartenders who just can't do the fills in a reasonable amount of time. I still buy it in cans, and of course there are juices and seltzers and other bevs that I just can't get in anything other than disposable/recyclable containers.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i prefer my beer on tap, wine in a box and the only other thing i drink is water, which can be problematic

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius