1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    nothing new though, right? How many revisions were there of the B-17 & 24? Build em cheap, & stack em deep

#741 hill, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, way of the world. except disney, they do it right the first time and charge the prices to pay for it.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ummmm. will bite my tongue here. Other than to say, we are in a global economy, competing with other multinationals, and every big biz - experiments .... hopung to find ways to save $$.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood. but from the customers perspective, i haven't seen any noticeable cost cutting to date.

all the new updates at disney world are amazing, and now they are going to do the epcot entry.

we stay at marriott, where they do everything second best and charge appropriately.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've long wondered about safety and product liability of returnables in a world of meth labs and other hazards from items temporarily diverted to other uses with toxic substances, then returned to the food chain. Who here hasn't ever repurposed an old food container for non-food use?

Even in the old days of reusable containers, there were occasional legal and PR problems with foreign objects not properly removed before refilling. Some (most?) of these were undoubtedly fraudulent. But how can the vendors truly guarantee that their cleaning processes are absolutely 100.000 000% effective? Not just in their own minds, but in the public's minds too?

A full recycling / remanufacturing process will be more reliable. Considering the legal and PR costs of (alleged) product contaminations, the return-reuse model might be more expensive than melting down and remanufacturing.

#745 fuzzy1, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We should all be concerned with the future of all insects.

Growler use seems to be an option at the local breweries I've been to, and seen it used for a local organic soda company.

Look into Sodastream and such if a big Seltzer consumer.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not concerned about ticks. okay i am concerned, that they won't die.:p

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Everything I've read on the topic suggested that Big Beverage wants complete control of the appearance of the packaging, and the wear marks that inevitably appear around the widest bits of a returnable bottle aren't compatible with their visual branding. The liability angle had occurred to me as well, but I haven't run across any real mentions of it. I recognize that there could be liability from contamination, but I don't know enough to compare it to what they already face with disposable packaging.

It's funny, I had one when I still drank cola. I gave up drinking cola and sold the machine years ago, then got into seltzers much more recently.

I understand the new thing is to get the sodastream machine and a clever plumbing adapter to use it with paintball gas bottles so you don't have to pay the outrageous sodastream cartridge rates.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Strictly speaking ticks are not insects.:D:whistle:

Trollbait and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great, then i won't feel guilty ;)

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Milkweed seeds available as stated earlier. If instead one were to wander through local 'unmanaged' land, not unlikely to find seed pods. Not to be found in March (wrong side of equator).

This company

Wildflowers For Attracting Pollinators | American Meadows

offers many options, but I find their prices a bit steep. Maybe I'm behind the times.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wondering what is the likelihood that Boeing will eventually need to triplicate this sensor too.

This probably depends on whether or not Boeing can get this system and engine configuration down from flight-critical to the safety level it originally declared.
    I'd think that each of this kind of crater costs the maker $everal billion$ in direct liability for victim compensation and airframe loss. Presuming that whatever comes initially out of the pockets of insurance companies eventually gets extracted from the maker's pockets.

I need to track down such discussion. A/D conversion was one of my primary career's core competencies.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    pprune has a very long discussion on this. Including A/D conversion of AoA sensor signals. One flipped bit makes it off by 22 degrees. Or 22.5, I forgot.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Subtopic for discussion:

Electricity from coal vs. electricity from petroleum

I haven't been able to re-find it, but I recall reading an article ages ago about what boiled down to a personal feud between 19th century oil barons and 19th century coal barons, and it laid the groundwork for quite a lot of our current energy situation.

In the grand scheme of things, not much electricity is made from petroleum. Why?

More to the point of electrified transport, why not more? We know we need more electricity, and you're not going to let me put a windmill or fission reactor in your back yard, so why not more oil-fired power plants?

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A natural gas turbine generator may be a better choice.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'southwest airlines slates forecast due to 737 groundings'

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Southwest Airlines has had some trouble with maintenance in recent months. Minimizing MAX could give them something to hide behind.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    BTW I totally messed up this thread by first posting Ethiopian crash here in connection with UN meeting. The damage is done.

bisco likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unfortunately, what insects and other bugs(in the colloquial sense) may be facing isn't descriminating between beneficial and pest.

Having picked up some sodas in returnable bottles, I can understand their view. The Mexican imported Coke at Costco is in disposable glass bottles.

Got to keep that mind. The local soda available for growlers is delicious, and I keep meaning to contact the company about buying the syrups for home machines.

I think it comes down ease of application and shipping.

Coal dust was a fuel for early ICEs, but petroleum products are easier to use in the engine and to transport. You just pump it around vs the shoveling coal requires. Ships switched to bunker oil from coal, and the places with noteworthy amount of use for petroleum fueled electricity and far from the rail lines coal uses. Hawaii is the obvious one, but parts of Florida and Alaska make more use of petroleum for electricity.

Today, coal is becoming too expensive, and petroleum can be burned directly in turbines, but natural gas is cheaper and cleaner. NG also doesn't have all the competing demands petroleum has.