1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Bacteria share genetic information useful for antibiotic resistance, and many other things. Horizontal gene transfer is unlike procedures followed by animals (including readers here).

Recent study interpreted for general audiences:

The extraordinary powers of bacteria visualized in real time -- ScienceDaily

May still leave these matters a bit too mysterious. Or maybe just my opinion? Anyway, broad outlines are part of your basic biological literacy.

There will be a test. Sometime. Maybe.

2. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet, the toll at the moment is 4th worst.

Worst years were 2015 (earthquake-driven avalanche), 2014 (Khumbu Icefall avalanche), and 1996 (various, most in a single storm, see Krakauer's Into Thin Air). But just one more this year would tie 1996.

Merkey likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With paper, the wood is shredded and then treated to remove the lignin. There will be organization caused by the cellulose fiber's structure's influence in how the fibers 'fall' during the sheet making. We could get creative, and use the fibers for structural products, but similar products, like carbon fiber and fiber glass, use glues and resins to hold the fibers in place. If that is the case with paper fibers, then we already have a selection of manufactured woods that leave the lignin in place.

By keeping the wood whole, binding spots in the cellulose in which lignin used be can be lined up to rebind with other such spots when the lignin free plank is compressed. Getting such spots to line up with chopped up paper fibers is probably trickier.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    no - now climbers are required to carry stuff out, whether oxygen bottles, poo, Apple corer. Even many corpses have been collected, what with the melt off.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing how much people will pay to try and kill themselves

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    At least it thins out the bad chromosomes

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Kill mosquitoes to reduce malaria:

Transgenic fungus rapidly killed malaria mosquitoes in West African study: Technology could safely reduce malaria mosquito populations, including insecticide-resistant strains -- ScienceDaily

==
    My explainer-explainer. This fungus selectively infects mosquitoes (similar ones have been used for biocontrol of beetle pests). Authors assert that other insects particularly bees are not affected, but IMO there are many other useful insects to consider.

Fungus by itself is not harmful enough to mosquitoes, so they insert a gene to produce something very similar to a funnel-web spider toxin. That insertion is done with a bacteria, which is not unusual. You've heard of CRISPR to edit genes, but to insert whole new ones, bacteria and viruses are main tools.

Toxin is derived from atraxotoxin, which is extremely powerful. Most surprising to me in this media explainer is this derivative ("hybrid") is already and EPA-approved insecticide. I'd want to be far away from wherever that insecticide is being sprayed. Ideally inside a Sydney, Australia ambulance because they carry around atraxotoxin antitoxin :eek:

OK, on to open-field trials. One hopes this works exactly as expected. Scary, probably unlikely bad outcomes could include harm to different beneficial insects. Total sci-fi scenario involves mosquitoes developing immunity to this engineered fungus and injecting something like atraxotoxin into human targets. At least you would not have to wait around to die from malaria :eek::eek:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    transgender fungus, who knew?

okay, i won't do my dr. malcolm whatsisname chaos theory rant. onward and upward!:p

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Trangenic =/= transgender but you knew that eh?

Crichton's Malcolm character is pretty much the only thing people know about Chaos. It's sad, really.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very sad. they need to put more real science in movies and books

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We've every reason to expect this research will be conducted cautiously. But this is first example I know with anything close to a wacky toxin being (indirectly) engineered into any insect.

For science fiction purposes, these totally well-intentioned folks are troubleshooting how to get toxins into insects. Entire range of neurotoxins is amazing and I've mentioned them before. Trick would be to find one that is least harmful to insects*, then add mosquitoes.

They are already world's most dangerous animal (largely because of malaria vectoring). Add a whacky toxin and whoa Nelly.

*This would be a terrible terrible thing to do. Meanwhile, every new neurotoxin gets its amino-acid sequence published somewhere. And you can buy the effing things.

==
    I agree that movie science should be more accurate, as science classrooms often fail to engage their audiences. However, this should be done without spelling out E-Z Armageddon.

==
    Probably told before about making students swim to shore when I saw a sea snake. Sea snakes Sheesh.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't ring a bell, but sounds interesting

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and you pushed the kids into the water?

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Nah. We were taking a day off from terrestrial tropical ecology at a fine beach in NW Costa Rica. I did enjoy seeing my first Elapid, but had to say

"OK everybody swims to shore right now"

-- whine whine whine --

"This is not a request"

==
    Totally opposite situation, snorkeling near Cozumel. A Moray eel was sighted and panic ensued. Everybody found the exits. I had the bay to myself. Me and Maurie. Cute little fella, capable of de-fingering but nothing more.

bisco likes this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Land-snake scenario. Elevate affected limb. No cutting, no tourniquet, don't move. Send pals for anti venom.

Sea-snake scenario. Required to swim ashore and circulate venom. Sheesh.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to love the ocean...

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius