1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought chile was a dish

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't you need the ingredient before the dish?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but is the ingredient chile?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The US is a Western country. They're called peppers.

bisco likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    then the Japanese (et al) whaling vessels scoop them up ..... scientific research, they say.

bisco likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    As I understand it, 'research' whaling by Japan was a cover used until 2019 when they exited the IWC. Now they are just whaling whaling, with total annual catch numbers set below 400. Zero would be an appropriate number in my opinion, but nobody asked.

More cheerfully I saw a video documentary recently on Monterey Bay (CA). Sea otters, whales and sardines were sequential boom and bust. Now it has largely recovered due to substantial work and blind good luck.

Merkey likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was there a radiation leak?

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No benefit in starting rumors, I only wanted that web site to be known to others here.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends on who you ask.

"While US officials have deemed the situation does not currently pose a severe safety threat to workers at the plant or [...] public, it is unusual that a foreign company would unilaterally reach out to the American government for help when its [...] state-owned partner is yet to acknowledge a problem exists. The scenario could put the US in a complicated situation should the leak continue or become more severe without being fixed.

However, concern was significant enough that the National Security Council held multiple meetings last week as they monitored the situation, ..."

That foreign company is Framatome, the French partner in the plant's operation. It reached out to the U.S. Department of Energy last month. I'm also seeing EDF, its parent company, being mentioned.

#1372 fuzzy1, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    tochatihu and Merkey like this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting experiment although I was hoping for a permafrost version.

Some of the dental DNA efforts had already let me know that DNA isolated from the usual suspects has a long storage life.

Bob Wilson

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Permafrost seed germination seems doable, assuming that vegetation has been dropping seeds.

Go to your favorite such place and chop out a chunk (with a long vertical axis).
    Further chop into chunkettes with short vertical axes (which we presume to represent time).
    Retreat to lab, thaw samples, send subsamples for C14 dating by accelerator mass spectrometry. Possibly can be done much more cheaply by scintillation - check with Beta Analytic in Miami.
    Wait for sprouts to sprout, find a botanist who knows what the heck they are.

==
    Also in news of the old, some folks have germinated fungal spores from specimens collected by Carl Linnaeus circa 1760's. Dang.

Linnaeus invented genus/species Latin naming system that has provided fodder for biology exams ever since. That guy. Not beloved by all :)

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A Miami suburb coastal condominium collapsed ~40 hrs ago. Not the entire building, but remaining units seem certain to be declared uninhabitable.

Hard to discern whether required insurance will make victims whole. There will surely be lawsuits.

Land subsidence was studied in this area by:

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2019.105078

If you happen to look at that article, the collapsed building is in the northernmost circled yellow dots in Fig 3a. There are many other yellow dots.

No one is asserting that 2 mm/yr land subsidence would ruin a proper foundation and superstructure. But now people will be looking.

Merkey likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read an interview with the guy who was studying the sinking back in the day. more questions than answers.
    going to be tough on a 40 yo structure. i hope they can figure it out to help prevent future catastrophe's
    i'd be nervous if i lived in the area. there was an article a few years back on buildings in bostons beacon hill, that are actually sitting on submerged wood pilings that are slowly rotting

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Putting a heavy building on gooshy wood (or gooshy anything) would not be seen as best practice.

Some Florida seaside land (including the current topic area) is 'fill' meaning it got pushed out to make Florida bigger. There are many 1-story homes that do not need spiffy foundations because they do not weigh very much. The concrete condos, 5 to 12 stories and perhaps taller, weigh a lot and have concrete piers footed on bedrock (maybe). Concrete there and above has rebar (of course it does, you say) but salt water seems to find its way in, iron chloride is 'bigger', and we reach the word of the day - spallation.

That land surfaces are subsiding does not mean that foundation piers also are, but dang I'd want to know, especially if some piers are going down faster than others. Concrete is no good at 'tension'

Fortunately Miami-Dade has a 40 year inspection cycle for such buildings, and a fella might guess that many more buildings will get their inspections ahead of schedule.

==
    In other concrete news of MA and CT, your other word of the day is pyrrhotite. A pesky mineral sometimes used in concrete aggregate, it blows out through time even without salt water. No pyrrhotite in FL according to USGS :)

==
    The most click baity reports from Surfside FL also mention that Ivanka and Jared's apartment is a short distance north of current action. A beautiful building from 2019 and nowhere near due for re-inspection. But yeah, c'mon.

==
    Actually the most click baity reports talk about cheap substandard rebar from overseas :eek:.

I do not know, but 1981 construction date seems too soon after that foreign country in questions' opening up in 1978.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is why the ancients wrapped the iron 'nails' hold marble slabs in place with lead.