1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My favorite clothes dryer discovery was just that after the spin in my front loader, I don't need the dryer at all. I can hang clothes right up and wear them tomorrow. Reserving the dryer now just for occasional things like pillows, towels, or things I forgot I need to wear today.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I like the 'thermoelectric for pellet fan' idea. How hard could that be to do? If too hard, then a battery sized for a few days.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know it would work on my lighter fabrics. If I were more confident in not having excessive moisture building up in the house, potentially leading to a mold problem, I'd try that on the heavier ones. Or if the house was better built to avoid such problems.

Or maybe I would just need greater partner buy-in. The spouse gets some sneezing issues that made her suspect mold. Mold tests all negative so far. Bathroom exhaust fan program time increased. Several homemade MERV13 room air filters now in use to control dust and particulates. I need to learn more about heat recovery ventilators with humidity control.

Meanwhile, in warm season, I do use an outdoor line for a reasonable amount of the drying. But it is very easy to get lazy on this.

I don't think it was hard, just expensive, as in on the order of a kilobuck. Not something that stove makers of that time were willing to try to bring to market at the expected low demand.

That was well before I was Priused. Now, the Prius 12V system should be able to handle a battery backup version easily enough, if appropriate stove selection is made.

#1463 fuzzy1, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Bringin' it back to Prius. Nice

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Couldn't you just get a small UPS that would handle most outages?

Mike

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like a typical UPS only has enough energy to perform a proper shut down. You need deep cycle type batteries for a run time measured in hours.
    Battery Backup For Pellet Stoves - 3 Ways To Keep The Heat On

Sounds like a stove can be modified to run on a modified sine wave inverter, and there are inverters with built in chargers for the battery.
    https://www.harmanstoves.com/shopping-tools/blog/winter-storm-outage-no-problem

Then there appears to be stove models that have battery back capabilities.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do tend to take mine out of the front-loader and hang them on a shower curtain rod first, rather than just packing them right into the closet. And there's an HVAC register in there to keep the air moving. And the central HVAC takes care of humidity, both in the winter (adding) and summer (subtracting), and the occasional load of laundry doesn't seem to give it any challenge in the summer.

I do have to pay a bit of attention when unloading the washer. It uses an amusing bit of applied statistics to get the load balanced for spinning: it just tries a spin, monitors the vibration level, and stops if too much. Then it just tumbles the load slowly back and forth a few times and tries another spin, and keeps trying until random tumbling eventually gives it a spinnably balanced load. :) It almost always eventually works, though sometimes it will spend ten minutes or so doing retries.

Every once in a blue moon, randomness never works out in its favor, and it finally gives up. Then I'll go down to take the load out and think "hmm, that still feels pretty damp." Then I can manually shuffle the stuff in the drum and put it back on the spin phase again.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I mounted a hangar rod above the washer and dryer for that purpose. For things that shouldn't be machine dried, or are 'almost' dried, or to get wrinkle-prone items on hangars immediately as they come out of the drier. The rod fits well in this particular laundry closet. Certain dripping wet items get moved to a shower instead.

I didn't really expect any spin cycle to gets things dry enough to be immediately packed away, at least in normal humidity environments.
    Central HVAC and active humidity control make all the difference here. My house has neither.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A UPS will cover only short outages, short enough that a decently insulated or energy efficient house doesn't really need any heat. Just throw on some warmer clothes.

I'm thinking in terms of the longer power outages, such as after the Big One or the Big Blow or the Big Snow/Ice. State and local government preparedness agencies here very strongly encourage planning for 3 days minimum, with 7 days being much better.

My personal longest power outage was 35 hours, but plenty of coworkers experienced 3-5 days. For the Hanukkah Eve windstorm of 2006, my brand new officemate had just flown in from the opposite coast, and arrived at the house where he was renting a room, just a few hours after the power went out. Despite being in an urban core, his abode didn't get power restored until the 8th day, a very chilly 'welcome' for a new-comer.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Planning for about 6 days without 'mains' power seems reasonable, and not beyond means of many posting here. Not at all should you 'size' for 6 months! That only happened after Hurricane Georges 1998 in Puerto Rico, and only in places lacking political clout :D

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm seeing several claims that Hurricane Maria in 2017, also in Puerto Rico, was worse than Georges in 1998. But my general planning is being held to a couple weeks, not many months.

upload_2021-9-11_21-41-49.png

upload_2021-9-11_21-43-35.png

iplug and tochatihu like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Meat as large dietary component for future larger and more-affluent human population is a well-trodden topic that (at its worst) serves as a tool to divide and distract from other topics. Here I merely want to scope 'the issues'.

Health: mostly meat and not 'your roughage' appears a poor longevity play.

Ethics: Ya gotta line 'em up and kill 'em. Are there souls being poorly served?

Greenhouse gases: Just today a new publication asserting animal agriculture doubles such gases, vs. plant agriculture. I might have thought ten fold.

Nitrogen externalities: Well-fed animals leak N, and then, surface-water eutrophication and coastal-ocean dead zones.

Meat-simulating food alternatives: An innovation and profit center! Plant and fungal products are are being developed, and shame and joy are being directed at you. Therefrom.

Meat-simulating food insects: Different from that just above because there is 'ick' here (which comes from no rational place), so startups need to sing all the more loudly.

Viruses spilling over: This is the latest of 'calls to COVID', and it may pose a rational risk. Extend food-animal lungs into where bats and other minor players play their games, and unwelcome prizes might follow. I see this as more of a pig and chicken matter than cow. Readers should form their own views.

==
    But here's the thing. You define your own diets. You might be interested in how our growing human enterprise develops its future diets. You might be interested in making investments. See the whole thing and do not allow your vision to come only from what I post here. Or if you do, send me money :)

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we rarely eat beef, but quite a bit of chicken. i suppose we could supplant some of that with legumes and more fish if necessary.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fried okra(*) and buttered corn today.

Bob Wilson

* - It’s a Sourthern thang, you won’t understand.

3PriusMike likes this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have good opinions of things that both Greeks and Indians do with okra, and I probably wouldn't turn my nose up at some of it fried.

I've been amazed at what a slimefest it is to wash a knife used for slicing it, though. :)

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Enjoying nearby discussion of carbon sequestration, but I'll burden you with a buzzkill.

Mass Bird Death Reported in New York City Amid Migration Season

Birdkill, more specifically. Seasonal bird migrations vs. shiny brightly lit cities. Please deface your windows with bird-saving stickers. Their efforts at refenestration are unwise.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are only two reasons for mentioning this year's ozone hole. First the animation here is interesting. Spooky, probably a waste of someones' time, but good

The ozone hole over the South Pole is now bigger than Antarctica - CNN

Second, because bad dudes have continue to illegally manufacture CFC-11 in some country. This is perfectly well known and reported. I do not have access to information showing that source has been shut down.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    together, we can change the world!