1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think our hummingbird has gone south :(

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is a newly approved Canadian pipeline dipping into US. Enbridge line 3 replacement. As that implies, there is already Enbridge3 but this appears to avoid a Native American Reservation. Or some aquatic features, or both:

Enbridge Line3Map_1407x800.jpg

As a map it properly needs a scale bar. Entire map box is about 300 miles wide, you can take it from there.

I did not know Canadian petroleum products had this exit. Atlantic ocean is still far away though, and 'Niagara'. Refineries around the Great Lakes, I guess.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    ApPrize, Agreed! which way do you think science is headed? At least the science most of us hear about.

Any hints in the paper from 67 about Global Warming? Who was even thinking about the connections emissions have on global atmospheric temps in the 60's?

#1486 vvillovv, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not aware of anybody thinking about that prior to 1896.

fuzzy1, Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keeling started measuring atmospheric CO2 in 1956, and was seeing various diurnal and seasonal patterns right away. That was reason enough to start continuous monitoring by 1958. The trend on his graph is already blatantly obvious by 1960.

According to this article, Keeling's initial measurements were started because various scientists in the 1950s were observing the increasing use of fossil fuels and wondering whether carbon dioxide in the air was rising, but nobody had been able to take accurate measurements of it.

His mentor, Revelle, moved to Harvard and started teaching about these rising numbers and global warming in the 1960s. One of his new students was Albert Gore Jr.

Keeling's initial measurements appear linked to the International Geophysical Year, July 1957-December 1958. Revelle was instrumental in creating that international effort.

#1488 fuzzy1, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    vvillovv likes this.
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was reading this earlier, then reading the new study showing pfizer covid vaccine still 90% effective at preventing hospitalizations after 6 months, but dropping to 47% at preventing infections.

i thought it was an interesting comparison

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess we still haven't resolved the meaning of "infection" in a way that's clear all around.

I think we mostly can agree on what it means for the vaccine to reduce incidence of symptomatic illness, hospitalization, and death.

And I think we sort of also agree that if you walk through a cloud of some given density of virus particles, the vaccine isn't making any difference to how many of those make landfall in your schnoz.

And yet, somewhere in between those two extremes, I keep hearing or reading about researchers reporting a reduction of "infection". I've heard or seen it often enough to think the folks must mean something specific by it, and it might involve some way of defining 'infection' that's more than just having virus land in your schnoz, but less than something else. But I haven't seen it spelled out.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me either. in my mind, if you were to test positive,then you would be infected, whether you had symptoms or not.
    of course, the tests aren't 100%, so that's another curveball. and i don't even know what they are testing. antibodies? all or none? some?
    and yet, they must have parameters in the studies to come up with infection rates.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Y'all want the mods to move posts above to the correct thread? I think it's cute the way it is, but not my call.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, there's only one mod, and he's a good guy with a lot on his plate. i will try to refrain.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My fault, sorry.

Bob Wilson

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Patterns and causes of Calif. forest fire recent history. Topic came up in a Fred thread about electrical tools for groundskeeping. From CALFIRE website data I made a graph

calif forest fires.png

There is lots of variability among years and an apparent increase in last decade. Again with lots of variability among years. This is (at least) consistent with climate patterns (rainfall effects on fuel moisture). They are variable and with more drought in recent years. Support for that would come from comparing annual rain totals in forest areas. Which I hope someone would do.

It would seem much more difficult to link these patterns with forest management through time. Removal of old or dead trees, raking, or whatever else. Variability among years is not what one would expect from pure accumulation of fuels over time (by neglect), right? It would just get worse and worse.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    description got my mind wandering "space station insomnia? pillows in space?"
    Than I was the url. :(

19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When blazing supersonic at 50+ miles high, the skins get very hot. But that is so brief that the cores can remain icy. And they often fragment from mechanical or thermal stress (another piece was found a mile away, most pieces are never found), and we don't yet know whether or nor this piece was on that burnt pre-breakup exterior surface.

As they fall through the lower atmosphere, all but the largest ones slow to subsonic speeds, little ones to even rather slow terminal speeds, so can have plenty of time for wind-chill cooling of a hot skin.

With so many sizes and other variables, fresh fallen meteorites can be hot, or about ambient temperature, or even turn icy as the cold from unburnt cores seeps out.

tochatihu, iplug and vvillovv like this.