1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't followed it, but i'm glad you mentioned it. we dostill have a few old trees here and there. i only recognize them when the fruit is on the ground.
    and i almost forgot, i planted a gecko a few years back, but i don't think they're indigenous

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'reright, white pines are ubiquitous, and they spread rapidly.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You planted a gingko, silly. Geckos are for car-insurance commercials, and dropping into carnivorous pitcher plants. Oh how they squirm...

American Chestnut recovery:

Northern Research Station
    Now Available from ArcheWild: American Chestnuts - ArcheWild

TL;DR It will take some decades. Chestnut wood is amazing. Because I'm here I get to buy roasted chestnuts, pretty much whenever. It is a guilty pleasure, as the killer of the American species was from here.

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The gecko knew too much. We hadda plant 'im.

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have had a love affair with chestnuts since we carved pipes from them in cubscouts

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iirc, someone made an engine that could run on urine. so you could drink coffee all day, and just keep driving

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Not enough kilowatts. Not even close.

If you like your coffee hot, there is likely enough chemical energy in urine to heat that amount of water. But for transportation? Gosh no.

My interest is more on fertilizer. Interestingly, full harvest of urine chemical energy would change N to N2 (gas). So that's gone. Phosphorus would persist, not having a gaseous exit strategy.

#1668 tochatihu, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you saying i should pee on my tomatoes?

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I had several Mountain Ash on my property in Connecticut, but all are now extinct due to a fungus. Now mostly Oak, Maple, Birch, Hickory, and Sycamore along with the usual evergreens.

JeffD

#1670 jdenenberg, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    birch and hickory are good ones, i forgot.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "are you saying i should pee on my tomatoes?"

That would be inexact. You may pee on soil near your tomato plants before fruits develop.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If I learn who wins this, I shall report later:

Sharon Begley Science Reporting Award - CASW

Seems a challenge for judges, because science writing for the named fields requires different styles. In the meantime, I throw the door open - what recent science writing has struck readers as useful and accessible?

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This is not particularly good science writing, but the topic fits us:

Florida Solar Net Metering Bills Advance in House, Senate

Too political and boring in motivations and spin. But what if we instead started from

solar_potential_map.png

and overlay a population density map. Then another with climate extremes for costs of winter heating and summer cooling. Then we could know how where and much money could be saved by solar (at your declared cost of xx per KWH) vs. fossils (at your declared cost of yy per KWH).

It seems a perfectly doable study to me, and I have not seen such published.

Robert Holt likes this.
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool story. bob reminds me of our bob wilson :)

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Closer to Boston can be found the Harvard Forest. Well worth a visit but this is not an ideal month. Some very old trees are there, but off the tourist trails.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with lyme disease, we don't hike in the woods anymore, stick to open paths

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems that Greenland's ice sheet is a very major producer of hydropower, as the large flow of meltwater on top falls down through holes and cracks to the base on bedrock typically a kilometer below. But instead of spinning turbines to generate mechanical or electrical power, it can only be converted to frictional heat. And that heat then melts additional ice as the water flows between the ice sheets and bedrock on its way to the ocean. This seems to explain what had been an inexplicably high rate of melting from below, far greater than from the other heat sources (e.g. geothermal heat flow from earth's interior?) that had been previously considered.

"The team calculated that as much as 82 million cubic meters of meltwater was transferred to the bed of Store Glacier every day during the summer of 2014. They estimate that the power produced by the falling water during peak melt periods was comparable to the power produced by the Three Gorges Dam in China, the world’s largest hydroelectric power station. With a melt area that expands to nearly a million square kilometers in total during peak melt, the Greenland Ice Sheet produces more hydropower than the world’s ten largest hydroelectric power stations combined. [emphasis added] ...

To verify the high basal melt rates recorded by the radar system, the team integrated independent temperature measurements from sensors installed in a nearby borehole. At the base, they found the temperature of water to be as high as +0.88 degrees Celsius, which is unexpectedly warm for an ice sheet base with a melting point of -0.40 degrees.

“The borehole observations confirmed that the meltwater heats up when it hits the bed,” said Christoffersen. “The reason is that the basal drainage system is a lot less efficient than the fractures and conduits that bring the water through the ice. The reduced drainage efficiency causes frictional heating within the water itself. When we took this heat source out of our calculations, the theoretical melt rate estimates were a full two orders of magnitude out. The heat generated by the falling water is melting the ice from the bottom up, and the melt rate we are reporting is completely unprecedented.”"

From other sources, it appears that Three Gorges Dam has an installed electric capacity of 22.5 GW, average output of 12.7 GW. The ten largest hydro plants have a combined installed capacity of 110 GW, while the ten highest output dams (not all the same dams) have a combined average output 60 GW. I don't know which figure the above group meant, but either way, that is a lot of power to be just melting ice.

Greenland's ice is melting from the bottom up and far faster than previously thought - CNN
    Accelerating melt rate makes Greenland Ice Sheet world’s largest ‘dam’
    https://news.ucsc.edu/2022/02/melting-glaciers.html

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A similar function should work on Antarctica. However, I'm also seeing articles claiming 'warm' sea water is also melting the bottom of ice sheets holding the glaciers back.

Bob Wilson