1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Spotted tungsten fishing weights in the store the other day. Based on the clearance price, I won't be rushing out to replace everything I have. Other lead free alloys exist, and I think I put some old spark plugs aside for the anchoring purpose.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the federal level, the U.S. banned the use of lead shot for hunting migratory waterfowl back in 1991. Various EU members started applying similar bans a couple years later.

Only a few U.S. states have since broadened this ban to non-migratory game.

The term "ammosexuals" is virtually guaranteed to magnify divisiveness and stymie attempts at improvements.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is unambiguous and I enjoy throwing 50 cal patched lead balls or lead conicals down range ahead of real black powder. But then shooting is another yoga to me.

Bob Wilson

#1703 bwilson4web, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    OK then, I'll never again say am**sex**** in regard to unrestrained environmental dispersal of lead, the metal, in regard to legitimate hunting. Because not saying it might help reduce the absurd and easily reduce able lead-pollution deaths to non-hunted species. Those that are illegal by Federal law to kill in any way, might I add. I hope my self-censorship will help to reduce this mindless slaughter.

However, as am**sex**** continue to use lead, the metal, to kill humans (including school children) extra judicially in reckless disregard of the meaning of Second Amendment, it is possible I will mention am**sex**** again. Somewhere else in PriusChat.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yet some of us are old enough to remember tetraethyllead that so easily coated road side vegetation and lungs of primates riding on or living near roads and highways. <MEGA SIGH> Even today, there is low-lead aviation gas so the tractor-like, large bore, air cooled, engines can let us fly light airplanes.

Bob Wilson

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    tractor-like. Entertaining thought. I understand there is only one refinery worldwide still making leaded Avgas. If deciding which refinery to work at, I'd suggest not that one.

==

Lead turned out to be a bad idea in plumbing at least where water has low pH, and that misstep continues in some places. Lead in pewter alloy turned out to be a bad thing to eat tomatoes or other acidic foods from. Lead dioxide to make white paint turned out to be a bad idea because toddlers and such are not selective about eating things. Tetra ethyl lead in fuel turned out to be a bad idea because that stuff goes everywhere, and even selective eaters had exposure. Besides you can't 'catalyst' an engine exhaust stream containing Pb.

Did I miss any big ones? Lead in bullet spray is a bad idea for much the same reasons. Many animals mainly birds see a yummy carcass and it does not cross their tiny minds that it may be plumbumed. I know of no animals that lack an acidic stage in their digestive process. So it is not really avoidable.

Seems like the last example of the bad idea of dispersing lead into the environment. It persists for reasons that others might defend.

==
    Lead acid rechargeable batteries are still a big deal. But that recycling efficiency is high, second only to aluminum I think. Still, I could see comparing that recycling 'leakage to lead bullet dispersal'. Different patterns may exist in different regions.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Lake Powell levels are quite low. Not really news. Releases for hydroelectric are much larger than refills. So one can click through a slideshow. Sad and click baity. But whoa. #4 appears to show a lead acid battery used as a sinker under some floaty thing. A lead acid battery! Shootin' lead bullets anywhere is one thing, but this set me back on my heels.

Staggering Photos Show Lake Powell Nearly Dried Up

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    navy used to dump them in the ocean all the time. probably still do

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It appears to be of the vintage that recycling it would be simple.

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    war - an environmental issue? April 3, 2022 in Ukraine? linked at top of page - or in Yemon?
    'We are lost': Yemenis face eighth year of struggle as war grinds on

More recently Oil tanks in Valdez, AK collapse under heavy snowfall
    https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/news/crews-remove-snow-from-damaged-alaska-pipeline-oil-tanks/

And from Antarctica
    feb 2021
    https://www.livescience.com/brunt-ice-shelf-breaks-antarctica.html
    mar 2022
    Ice Shelf Completely Disintegrates in East Antarctica

new s overload yet?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    vvillovv likes this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Low-coastal money-makers in general will be crimped by king tides and storm surges before mean sea levels get there. Some may get Governmental bailouts. Because 'we had no way of knowing...'

Ignorance is bliss twice if there is a bailout involved.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Neither of us. It is a problem for the grandchildren.

Bob Wilson

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No question there. There'll be an Earth for a good long time yet. Question is, who's around to enjoy it (and how enjoyable that is).

We've been collectively saying that for a while, but by now when we say it we're likely talking about grandchildren already born, and getting a pretty good foretaste of the problem they'll be confronting.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sea level rise will be the King Chanute moment. Property lines don’t move like his throne.

Bob Wilson

ps. Spellings of his name vary.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's not just Powell .... Lake Mead (one feeds the other) is becoming dry bones too.
    ee8ae0c0-47ff-4621-98a8-f651be0eeb0f-cent02-7fu9o2c88zt3te2ghle_original.jpg

0d23e2a9-d1eb-4560-b22f-3f03f84c3599_1920x1080.jpg

the tragedy is that both dams electrical generation are unable to create as much power as they were just a couple decades ago. A dead zone looms on the horizon. Once the (I always forget which one is upstream) feeder lake nears a depth of only 35' - the generators become pretty much useless. Plus - the downstream lake no longer gets generators to spin ..... effectively becoming a dead zone.
    Check out the view from just one year's loss;
    Screenshot_20220404-130036__01.jpg

Don't bother trying to sell out of SoCal - if your home has no juice. In the mean time - well meaning enviro-folks seem to have a hard-on for tearing out dams to restore original habitat.
    Kick the can down the road & let the kids suffer the consequences

#1718 hill, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Every few years we get weak in the knees on the subject of helium supply. It's time again:

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.2.20220404a/full/

==
    Planet Earth formed in an environment containing a lot of helium (cosmic abundances and so forth) but a lot has leaked. The caprocks that keep fossil petroleum from leaking work for helium also. I know of no other connection between petroleum and helium. So, that's where we find it in useful concentrations.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have understood that very little of Earth's helium is of primordial cosmic origin, nearly all of that leaked out during the high temperature stage of our planet's formation. Nearly all that we collect now was subsequently produced by alpha decay of heavy radioactive elements, such as uranium, thorium, radium, radon, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-4
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_decay