1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I think that is so, and that the containment is still caprocks. Helium 3 isotope is rare. Helium 4, born as alpha, collects a couple of electrons and settles down to a comfortable life of diffusion.

Until it gets swept up and cooled to liquid and dumped to make a big electromagnet supercold. Fun's over for Mr. Helium, Now it's cold recycle cold recycle forevermore.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too late...

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    IMHO it is too late to continue to do many things as they were done in 20th century. It is too late to expect that highly positive apparent net benefits will accrue from some such continuances.

OTOH, I do not believe, in the least, that humanity faces prompt doom from slow boating global transition to non-fossil energy. Nor from slow boating massive investments in adaptations to future climates, that are both highly probable and yet still uncertain in many ways. Nor from slow boating massive investments in preservation of global biodiversity (which everybody seems to want, but in a NIMBY way). All that slow boating will probably cost us much, but we still don't know what, or how to value the costs.

Humanity survived Toba (do your own research :D), many plagues and many wars. And quite an amplitude range of previous climates. That the coming climates and its effects doom stronger, well, that may be drama. And yet... Never with nearly 8 billion participants with an apparent plan (non plan) to increase to 10 billion. That is a complication, to say the least. And yet, we know much more now, and can use knowledge to do much more now, if we choose to.

On the other other hand (I have many...) failing to treat many interrelated problems/challenges/issues as interrelated will strongly constrain progress against them.

But even with all that (some shade of gray but not black) gloom and doom. I fully expect humanity to be impressive in second half of this century. Too late for me and @bisco and many others to observe. Maybe that's what he meant by "too late".

Meanwhile, to the kids, "get on my damn lawn".

#1726 tochatihu, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What are they teaching the children these days? I hope it's not anything like what they were teaching us back in the day, regarding "don't worry kids, science will come up with all the answers to fix what is wrong.

If it's not clear to everyone, where we are headed by now, we are all going to be living sheltered lives soon, if we are not all, already without knowing it.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they're teaching them how to use tik tok, and make yourself a star

vvillovv likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Brings back memories of when I was younger and had a world full of dreams too.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Doppler rain radar can be used to mitigate risk to migrating birds from wind power:

New research will help minimize impact of win | EurekAlert!

I had thought this was not a new idea? Maybe they are getting more into specifics. Anyway, it can be helpful to reduce the #3 cause of bird mortality, after tall buildings and semi-feral cats.

Some bats migrate also. Don't know yet if the article looks at them.

12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Two more ocean front houses in Rodanthe (Outer Banks) NC washed away in the latest storm on May 9 and 10 2022 while the Blowout Tides in both Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds left huge amounts normally water covered areas dry. While ocean overwash and sand cover closed the main road NC12 for several days. NCDT crews continue to work at clearing the only access road off Bodie Island to Hatteras Island.
    Official Local
    Officials unsurprised as 2 more Rodanthe homes collapse | Coastal Review
    Source of pics and videos

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    One I saw fall in and float away was on stilts to begin with. Suggests that putting seaside houses on stilts requires a well-engineered design. Without that it should be regarded as temporary housing anyway. In other words an example of local dumbness possibly made worse by the global dumbness that is rapid directional anthropogenic climate change.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    One I saw fall in and float away was on stilts to begin with. Suggests that putting seaside houses on stilts requires a well-engineered design. Without that it should be regarded as temporary housing anyway. In other words an example of local dumbness possibly made worse by the global dumbness that is rapid directional anthropogenic climate change.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wondering if the stilts were retrofits, not part of the original construction.

I'm also suspecting that those stilts were never 'engineered', based on the apparent lack of shear support. Though at the rate at which terra firma was transitioning to terra mudda, that may have made only a few hours difference.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    So a sequence

1. build ground foundation house near a beach
    2. Beach encroaches
    3. Put down some sticks
    4. Get a crane guy to lift the house onto sticks?

I'd guess crane guy knows something about foundations, and would laugh at sticks. Perhaps I guess wrongly.

But SE US has a lot of coastal retreat now, and there should be a business opportunity for crane guys who know what the heck they're doing.

So, a different sequence

1. Hammer four big steel pipes as far down as your hammer can go, in the corners
    2. Fill them with concrete
    3. Build a proper legwork above
    4. Place house on that

It's still gonna blow away in winds ~120 mph, but those have multi-decadal return times around there. So it could be a house for a useful amount of time.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Terra mudda is amusing, calling to 'Mudda Earth'.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

#1738 tochatihu, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some other time we might meditate on the fascinating topic of sand. Shorelines and deserts both make it, with water and wind as unique 'working fluids'. It ranges from sharp-edged to rounded, depending on the dynamics of grinding and transport. Sand persists as derived from sturdier minerals, with weaker ones exiting. Beach sand includes carbonate critters' 'bones', where their input dynamics exceeds breakdown rates.

I do not know what youse guys meditate on...

#1739 tochatihu, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    his father was a mudda, his mudda was a mudda...