1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA: 9 years to pay back Prius, hybrid premiums

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cacti, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. Scummer

Scummer Eh?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmm... I wonder what the pay back is when I compare my Prius to my bicycle.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, how long does it take to get back the "SUV Premium" on an Escalade, for instance?

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How long do they think gas is going to stay at $1.66?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well at least they chose a vehicle from the same "Family sedan" group. But they made a few common mistakes:

1. $19,642 - is the "manual" transmission Camry, the cheapest automatic starts at $20,195.
    2. $21,650 - is the Camry LE model with automatic transmission, remote keyless entry and cruise control. This begins to match the standard features of the Prius. Now the price difference is $2,008. Less than half of what they started with. (Source Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories)
    3. $22,000 - is the least expensive Prius that has all of these features. They selected the "Tourning" model at $24,270.
    By comparison of like configured, Toyota "Family sedans," the price difference falls to $350. This makes a significant difference in the payoff period.

This really needs to be sent directly to the editorial office. I don't mind a copy to the original article authors but here is another example of lazy journalism.

Bob Wilson

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even if you took the original comparisons at face value, you get back the "premium" if it is sold or totalled anyway. So all you have left is the time value of money for the original loan difference. (And if there is no loan, then the comparable deposit return rate is near zero thanks to the FED.)

8. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A problem I see with all such stories is that they only take gas usage into account. Repair costs/reliability and resale value factor into the financial equation, too, and the Prius tends to be very reliable and hold its value well.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you want to compare to a Hummer, a Prius or a bicycle? I think it changes the "payback period". :madgrin:

If you think the Escalade is bad, try calculating the payback for a RV.

10. toxicity

toxicity A/C Hog

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Despite what people may say, buying a car is almost always an entirely emotional thing. Back in 2006 when gas was relatively cheap, ($2.50/gal or so) I had no problems fueling up my Nissan Sentra; yet I still wanted to get a Prius simply because, I like cars, and I loved how much technology the Prius had. The fuel efficiency also appealed to me whether gas was high or not; I like the idea of going as far as possible on as little as possible; it was obviously a huge plus when the gas prices shot up.

How come no one ever seems to justify their purchase of F-150s? I mean, I know they have got to be indispensable as contractors, but has anyone ever gone "Well, by having my own pickup, I don't have to rent one at $30/day or hire some guys or....etc"

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went out hoping to spend $20,000 on a new car and when I realised I had to spend nearly $25,000 for the Corolla I wanted the $25,000 second hand Prius was too hard to reject. What is the payback on that? Remember I was going to spend $25,000 any way.
    (all prices in AU dollars)

12. TedSallis

TedSallis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This FTW. Likewise the other air haulers and land monsters out there. I think many folks are looking at hybrids as a more eco friendly alternative and the savings on gas as a bonus. And anyone that thinks cheap gas is going to last is probably driving an half ton pickup to the mall.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you got a better deal with the Prius because a brand new Corolla comes with shorter powertrain warranty than a Prius. Here in US, we have 5 years / 60,000 miles warranty for the Corolla while the Prius comes with 10 years / 150,00 miles warranty (8 years / 100,000 miles in non-CARB emission states).

Edit: Hybrid related component warranty is longer but the regular powertrain warranty is the same.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The warranty in Australia is 3 years 100,000km. The warranty on the Prius expired while the car was in the yard. It had a noisy left front strut when I test drove it so that was fixed under Toyota warranty and apart from that there is a statutory warranty on used cars from a dealer of just 3 months. However after having driven Toyotas almost exclusively for the last 25 years you will see my opinion of the requirement for warranty on a Toyota in my signature.

15. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In Massachusetts we get a 10 percent discount on our insurance if we own a hybrid, was this considered in the pay back?

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh another one of these discussions, well, didnt bother to read the article. too busy calculating the "vehicle" return verses my bike...

lets see, 15 miles RT daily, lunch $3 (would only be around $2 if driving)...advil, $9 a month (for leg pain right??)

umm... DAMN!!! calculator overheated.... ok, lets start over

17. LenS

LenS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How, oh how do they come up w the "premium" cost. Apples to apples would be comparing Camary H vs the reg. Camary, Highlander H vs Highlander, etc. Not trying to figure out where a Prius fits between a Camary and a Corolla. It ain't either one. And of course they are only using gasoline savings not emissions and other such stuff. Rubbish.

18. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Not long at all. My gas went up $.17 already from the low not long ago while the spot prices were still falling.:D

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    less than we think... always said gas will go up as we start our recovery... so the market hits 9000 and our gas has gone up 12 cents a gallon, now at $1.779...bummer... was hoping for a few more cheapie tanks