1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA Certifies Mileage for Escape Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease....id=115-08052004

2-wheel drive 36 city and 31 highway.
    4-wheel drive 33 city and 29 highway.

Model- year 2004 SUVs averaged 17.9 mpg.

The Green Vehicle Guide score for this vehicle is a 9 out of 10 for federally certified vehicles.

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a nice emissions level, even though the mileage is less-than-steller by virtue of the weight and drag of an SUV.

3. mshappe

mshappe New Member

I agree. given that my impression is that they did absolutely nothing else to lighten up the body of the car -- just took a normal Escape and replaced its powertrain -- these numbers are really quite respectable, and well in line with what was previewed in the press the last few months.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With the battery and all the Hybrid Escape might be heavier than the standard model. I have not seen the specs yet but would not be surprised.

5. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it weighs more. Ford wasn't streamlining, as there's no need. They need a hybrid SUV out there, so they put one out. Minor MPG improvements probably arn't high on the priority list.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It got me curious. The article only listed the "Average" for SUVs.

Escape 4Cyl 2x4 Manual 24 City 29 Highway
    Escape 4Cyl 2x4 Auto 22 City 25 Highway
    Escape 4Cyl 4x4 Manual 22 City 26 Highway
    Escape 4Cyl 4x4 Auto 19 City 22 Highway

Escape 6Cyl 2x4 Auto 19 City 25 Highway
    Escape 6Cyl 4x4 Auto 18 City 23 Highway

So, it clearly seems that Urbanites are the only ones who will really benefit.

7. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Real life mpg will probably end up being around 20. It still is better than normal SUVs but, now the people will start thinking its alright or even good to needlessly buy an SUV since it's a Hybrid and supposedly green. 20-25 mpg is still far less than they could get in a Prius(45-55mpg). The Prius can seat 4 comfortably, haul a lot of stuff with the folding seats and can even carry 5 when needed. It is not worth buying an SUV for the couple of times a year that on e may have to carry more than 5 passengers. Somehow people have started believing that if they have children, they need an SUV whereas, cars do just fine and have been doing so for decades before the recent SUV craze. It is silly to label a vehicle as hybrid, equaling it to being green and fuel efficent, and only get 20-30 mpg which is exceeded by most mid size cars like the Civic. Now many people who thought they should buy a hybrid will start buying Suv hybrids and think they are doing something good while they could have done much better by buying a smaller hybrid. This, ofcourse doesn't apply to those few who really need an SUV(if there is any such person).

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Gurmail, but I have to disagree. I like the figures for the Escape Hybrid. My AWD VUE would just barely get 30mpg, and I had to work hard to get it. I don't see myself having any trouble getting well within those EPA figures with my driving styles. I easily meet and exceed the numbers with my Prius. Trouble is, the Prius is unsuitable for towing, and is marginal as a passenger car when my folks are in town. My mother has nerve problems, and can barely get in and out of the car. Great Pyrenees's don't fit very well in the Prius either. Had the Escape been on the market when I bought the Prius - it would have easily been in my driveway instead. I'm actively pursuing getting back into camping and other outdoor activities, and the room for the gear would sure be nice as well.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess this let's out Newfs as well. Sasha will be sad. :cry: Glad I am keeping my old car. She would not like it if she could not go to the bank with me. I think she believes that he has a dog bone account there. :mrgreen:

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm sure Sasha will fit in the back seat just fine, assuming she is the only passenger there

11. cmympg

cmympg Who knows? Who cares?

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Our 95 lb rottie fits in with room to spare with the back seat down. She thinks its great because there are 2 side windows and the back one to mess up with nose prints. Granted your newf and great pyrenees are bigger, but with the seat down, they just might fit.

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, Bear fits in the back seat - the ENTIRE back seat. :) About all he can do is sit up and turn around, same as if he was in a crate. Typically though, he tries to stick his head between the front seats, so that he can be with "dad".

I would however, like to be able to put a proper crate in a vehicle, so that I can safely take him with me on camping trips and the like.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    During the oil embargo I drove a Fiat 124 spider. Fred (Barbara-Allens Uruses Major) rode behind the seats. I cut it a little fine on my day to buy gas and ran out a block short while waiting at a light. Also picture the plastic rear window had gone yellow and fogged. So I go up the block with a gas can to get some gas and leave Fred in the back. As I walk back I see my car at the light where it died. Fred was in the drivers seat. The light changes and this guy in a Caddy starts laying on the horn when the light changes. As I walk up to the car he pulls around and sees who is "driving" the car. The look on that guys face was priceless. Newfs like to ride in the front! Sasha send her love to Bear. Safe enough she is "fixed"