1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA changing its estimate for the Prius WHEN IT SHOULDN'T!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusTouring07, Jul 15, 2007.

1. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

Old EPA: 60 City, 50 Highway
    New EPA: 45 City, 50 highway
    My Results: 50 City, 55 Highway

Detailed break down of all my tests (A/C used almost entire time, 110F outside temp most of the time):

1) Bad Traffic (Surface Streets Only): 35 mpg

2) Normal Traffic (Surface Streets Only): 45 mpg

2) Good Traffic (Surface Streets Only): 50 mpg

3) Freeway with good traffic: 55 mpg

4) Combined a little bit of Surface Streets and more of Freeway (which is my normal commmute): 50 mpg

5) Highway going up and down mountains: 50 mpg

Bottom line:

With some easy calculations it appears my life-time average MPG with the 07 Prius will be around 50 mpg. That's when I combine normal commute, once in awhile mountain climbing, going on long trips, short trips to the grocery store, etc.

I've no idea how you can do 60 mpg in the city, and I've really no clue how some get 70 and 80 and that doesn't matter much, because 50 mpg is GREAT and makes me a very happy man!

2. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just got a new Prius and have put just over 1k miles on it in two weeks. I would say that the EPA numbers for this car are way wrong...... I get much better than the sticker!

My current tank average is 58.4mpg with 505 miles on it.
    My work and back round trip average MPG is around 59mpg, that is about 70%/30% highway/suburban driving.(there is a 10 minute segment of my daily commute where I get 99.9mpg according to the MFD @35mph which really helps)
    City driving I've gotten up around 70mpg according to the consumption display (except for the first 5 minutes.)
    One other route I take weekly that is almost 100% highway about 40 miles round trip averages about 69mpg @55mph.

What pulls my average down is combined weekend driving which averages 55mpg for about 200miles.

The lifetime average of my car is lower than I would like at this point because it had to be driven 250 miles from the dealer that had it to the dealer that sold it to me and they only got 45mpg doing that.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get
    Highway - 52 MPG
    Highway traffic - 57 MPG
    City - 68 (where avg speed limit is 35-40 MPH)
    City traffic - 75 MPG
    Speed limits 40-50 MPH - 60 MPG

I just moved to a place where I can drive in the city to get to work. The last two years I have been only able to take the 70%/30% freeway/city (speed limit 60) just like scm2000.

Since I know the route I know which sections of the road I should speed up to make the light and which it would not matter if I was going 90 MPH I would always hit a red light. I also know where to coast to regen and where to feather my gas.

It seems that if I have 3/4 of a battery is the perfect time to feather the pedal otherwise it will just use the gas engine and not put any more into the battery.

I also get to my cruise speed briskly (not gunning it, about 1 MPH per sec).