1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA ethanol requirement waivers have positive environmental consequence

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Georgina Rudkus, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ethanol is not transported by pipeline, because it is "hydroscopic" and picks up water anywhere along the way. It picks up water from humid air while it is in any storage tank in the ground at any gas station.

Methane or natural gas transported anywhere by pipeline is easily converted to methanol by adding oxygen to the methane molecule. A simple local plant near the gas station can readily do that. No long distance transportation by tanker truck from the Midwest is needed. The tanker trucks add to cost and pollution by burning diesel fuel.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are talking to me, you are preaching to the choir, but the choices we make as a Country are make are political and often against my better judgement. I objected to 2006 Renewable Fuels act, but my Senator wrote me and said the Bill was going to be boon for Virginia because we could convert our tobacco farms to switchgrass for biofuels. I thought he was nuts, but he won the vote. Of course, in the end, the cellulosic biofuel pipe dream died a miserable death, and corn ethanol was used to meet the quotas instead.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Cellulosic ethanol is about the same cost per gallon as hydrogen, not worth it.

but cellulose can be easily converted to methane :0

Georgina Rudkus likes this.