1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA figures for i3 EV revealed

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Troy Heagy, May 23, 2014.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here is a range comparison between an ActiveE and an i3.
    The Electric BMW i3: Real World Range Test: BMW i3 vs BMW ActiveE

I couldn't locate a cd figure for the ActiveE. Ones for the 1 series are higher than the i3's 0.29, but the i3 will be hurt by being taller on the drag front.

austingreen likes this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, cd is probably about the same, but frontal area is larger. But the reason the activeE's cd is that high is it is trying to look like the 3 series bmw (based on 1 series), drop that as they did in the i and they could shoot for 0.23 like the mercedes cla or 0.24 like the model S.

BMW has called this a super city car, and the short length (157.4" about the same as prius c) does interfere with aero. BMW likely prioritized small turning radius and easy parking over drag and efficiency. The tall height 62.1" requires a longer car like the prius for great aero. If you are stuck in traffic all the time the height may be more of a benefit than the longer highway range of more aerodynamic car.

I would say this is probably done as a learning experience by bmw. If they can get the cost of cf and batteries down, there will be more efficient bmw i's and this one has the highest epa of any car.

3. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Look is okay but price is too high. For only $10,000 more I could buy a Tesla with 3 times the range & a supercharger network to keep it full.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know where you are getting your pricing. The i3 with range extender is $25K less the tesla S 60kw before tax credits. You may make both cars much more expensive with options. In texas the bmw gets $2500 more off (damn texas legislature requires you buy from a dealer for the money). That is a big price difference. In texas or california the beemer will come out at around $35K with range extender, the S $60K in california $62K in texas. The super charger network is more, either an option or 85kwh required.

Blue star will change that, but its not until at least 2017 maybe 2018. BMW 1 and 3 series people may seriously consider this or the volt instead, especially if their politics is against opec oil. The tesla S competes more with the 5 and 7 series, mercedes e and s, lexus gs and ls.

#24 austingreen, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  5. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh well then it's cheaper than I thought. :) BTW the president has proposed to increase the EV tax credit to $10,000 but it would only be available through dealers. So that would effectively cutoff Tesla in the entire nation. It isn't just republicans but Democrats too who kowtow to their dealer donors.

ASIDE: These embedded video ads are quite annoying, especially since my internet access is capped, and the videos are wasting bandwidth.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I use an extension that kills them before they load. If you are using IE, that is your problem.

7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Badly placed ads are the problem. Most forums put the ad *between* the posts, where they are unobtrusive, not in the middle of customers' paragraphs.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What does placement have to do with file size ?