1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA gets real on mileage labels for '08

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Sep 15, 2007.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bostonimann @ Sep 16 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]513363[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak totally for Tony, but I have met him a couple times and know approximately his route. Altho he's no Wayne Gerdes, he is a dedicated hypermiler - doesn't use A/C or heat unless his passengers really complain, has an engine block heater, keeps his tires pumped up past 40 psi - and his commute is somewhat long (more than 15 minutes I think 40 minutes, but I can't remember exactly, I think it's in the ChicagoPriusGroup link). So his 65 mpg is believable, particularly in good weather. Note also that he has been driving his Prius for several years so he and his car have reached their state of 'zen'.

Like you I also had a 15-minute commute, and the first five minutes was about 30 mpg, but the last 10 minutes would be about 65 mpg (mostly 30-40 mph with occasional lights and hills). My overall mileage was about 48 mpg, but would certainly be higher if I could continue longer. On long highway trips, I usually get low 50's, that's at about 68 mph. I can do better with light truck drafting or slowing down. I would think sub-50 is hard to do on the freeway, unless you're Al Gore III.

Now that my wife mostly drives the Prius, she gets 50-55 mpg driving pretty much normally at probably 60% freeway, 40% suburban routes, but 30 miles/day (2x my old route). I'm hoping our next tank will put us above 50mpg lifetime.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Sep 17 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]513758[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Nerf. I haven't checked this thread for a while. While it is not my intention to hijack this thread, I'll shed a little light about my commute.

My commute is 24 miles one way, approximately one hour of driving. There is one very direct route I could take: it's a state highway that goes through a downtown, average posted speed 45MPH with some timed stoplights and some not-so-timed. When everything's clicking, I can make it to work fast and even bump up my mileage. On a bad day it's an absolute nightmare, sucking my mileage and my will to live.

For that reason, the route I prefer takes a little longer but is a little more hypermiler friendly. There are rolling hills that allow for relatively long sections of glide. The average speed on most of the drive is sub-40MPH. But this can be a blessing and a curse. There is a completely different requirement when faced with such a drive: you must fight the temptation to stealth. If you have long stretches of stealth you will deplete your battery to three or two bars. Your next five-to-ten minutes will be spent recharging your battery and lowering your mileage. This problem is worse if you have to maintain that sub-40 speed (I have found that it's best to recharge at approximately 47 MPH - but I have no instruments to know for sure).

At the same time, my preferred drive is single-lane and I abhor holding up traffic. For that reason, I have to find ways to maintain traffic speed AND the mileage. In my opinion, when this is the case, the best method is to maintain as high a battery state of charge (SoC) as possible. Doing this not only gives you short bursts of stealthing without dipping the SoC too low, it also gives better mileage at traffic speeds assuming you are driving with a light foot.

As for that state of "zen": there have been many commutes when I transition from pulse-n-glide to stealth-n-glide to cover more than a mile without gasoline, often concluding with a regen coast to a stop.

In the end, Nerfer's correct: after three years and one month, Priapus and I have become close friends. I treat him well, not pushing too hard on accelerations nor stomping on the brakes, and he rewards me with good mileage.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bostonimann @ Sep 16 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]513363[/snapback]</div>
    I think someone needs an engine block heater and grill blocking.

Wayne

Who will be in Virginia Sept. 29th and maybe 30th so hurry and I'll install it.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my work commute is only 7.1 miles but 3 days a week i pick my son up from mother in law's house which is 12 miles from work opp from home making a 19-20 trip home. most of the route from work is 50 mph single lane and as much as i said i wouldnt do it, i find myself going as much as 55-57 mph in order to not back up traffic much realizing that my route (there are very few options) which follows the freeway is taken by locals to get home after work. so combined we are looking at about 12 miles at mostly 50-55 and then 7 miles mixed 35 and 40 mph.

i am still getting into the low 60's most of the time. some times i get in the 58-59 mpg range. i do have Scangauge i reset for every trip.

all in all, driving with a light foot and constant speed, and i found that nearly any speed under 60 mph will work, we took a trip to seattle on saturday to look at a Zenn EV. even at mostly 60 mph on I-5 we still averaged 59 mpg...