1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA Test Car Database on EVs.

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 28, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I combined the 2021 and 2022 data for electric vehicles: Data on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA

So I plotted the MPGe vs test vehicle weight to get this chart:
    upload_2021-8-28_6-26-13.png
    I dropped any below 60 MPGe since such inefficient vehicles might as well drive around with their brakes on.

There appears to be a sweet spot between 3750-4250 lbs (1705-1932 kg). Above this weight, the efficiency takes a dive. Below that weight, the vehicle size probably has aerodynamic problems leading to less efficiency.

I made a fresh chart using the same spreadsheet using one of two test protocols and plotting both MPGe and "Tesla" MPGe:
    upload_2021-8-28_6-27-49.png

Tesla engineering is focused on vehicle and drivetrain efficiency. The other EV makers with legacy design rules, not so much. My suspicion is they outsourced the drivetrain technology but it could also be legacy design rules.

Tesla engineering has a moat, absence of ICE legacy.

Bob Wilson

ps. The source spreadsheet is inside the zip file.

Attached Files:

Tideland Prius, fuzzy1 and Zythryn like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am working on an Open Office spreadsheet that plots the 'drag HP' as a function of speed and the three roll-down coefficients:
    upload_2021-8-29_2-44-8.png
    There are chart design issues such as using the secondary axis for Standard Units, kph and kW. Just two or possibly four vehicles. And grid lines with major and minor lines. Feel free to offer suggestions.

When done, I'll share the spreadsheet in a zip file.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.