1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Epic Rainfall in OKC

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mark57, Jun 14, 2010.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mr Parker,

I believe I prefaced my comment(s) that any given weather event probably cannot be attributed to AGW, but the sum total of anomalies MIGHT be attributable. (I may not have mentioned it in this thread, and if not, the omission is mine)

So that said, from my (admittedly) limited knowledge of OK City June weather, I would suggest that either event (big rains/125f) is anomalous, and therefore COULD be a symptom of AGW, and so yes, I would suggest that that kind of event might be relevant.

What too many people don't realize (for a variety of reasons, denial propaganda included) is that the consequence of greenhouse gasses is going to be climate change. That change will not be uniform "warming" as many think, but rather variances, (often significant variances) from statistical "norms". These net variances will lead to different results in different places. Warmer in some, cooler in others, wetter in some, drier in others. What too few people understand is the tenuous nature of the high latitudes (Arctic and Antarctic areas).

We like to think that a degree or two C over the course of a decade is no big deal, perhaps our heating bill will go down, but our A/C might go up. What folks don't realize that in permafrost environments that 1C difference may (and IMHO will) lead to permafrost melting (and glacial melting. Permafrost melting will release nearly unquantifiable quantities of greenhouse gases (primarily methane). This release will in all likely hood create a release feedback loop that will be unstoppable.

So make light all you wish, continue to believe you denial brethren. Your children and their children will have to pay the debt that we accrue.

Icarus

PS. Just for those that are interested, the average daily June temp in OK City is ~75F, so 125F would indeed be an anomaly.

It also receives ~ 11" of rain in the average June,, so indeed both events are anomalous.

Oklahoma City Weather History - CityRating.com

Pretty good city for solar however with ~200 days of good sun (on average)

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    He needs to live in the southern central plains for a while to see that this was really not that abnormal for us. We get these storms a lot. The only difference was it didn't move and was over a populated area. They generally clip along at 50 - 60 mph and are gone. Their high speed is usually what triggers so much wind damage because they're already going fast. Heavy ran is not normally the issue. It wasn't a problem of adequate drainage. Nobody can handle that much rain at that rate for that long.

I'm not arguing against global climate change. I've seen our weather change a lot in my 52 years here. What people from other parts of the country have a hard time with is just how drastic our weather can be. What seems drastic to the non-resident is not usually too far from the norm for us. It's never boring.;)

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By that you mean what is being accrued by the current administration, right? I couldn't agree more. ;)

4. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So in other words, this was normal, with the only difference being that it wasn't normal.

Got it...

5. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A+. ;) Our normal weather is what most would call abnormal. The storm was not exceptional except that it didn't move which would have been normal. If I say normal again my head's going to explode.:D

Normal . . . :boom:

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to stray too far from the original thread, but it might be interesting to look at %of debt relative to GDP under various administrations. Hmm, seems that during the Reagan years, the Bush I years and the Bush II years, it goes up,, (and in fact during the Bush II years it goes up real fast!). During the Carter and Clinton years it goes,,oh that's a surprise down. So yea it has gone up under President Obama, but that is largely due to the economic disaster left by the previous administration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_by_President.jpg

Just for the record, over half of the TARP money has been repaid as of now, ergo with a cost to the taxpayers of $0, the loans to GM have been paid back, with interest at a net profit to the tax payers, the stimulus package is building roads, and sewers and schools etc, generating jobs in a sector that was especially hard hit due to the crazy financial policies of previous administrations.

So yea, just like fixing global warming, it is much harder and much more expensive to fix once the wheels have fallen off! The problem with anti-tax ideologues is that they, at their core don't want to pay for anything, but often they yell the loudest that "some one should do something" when the wheels fall off! (see also Bobby Jindal!)

Icarus

PS I am not going to carry this old argument any further on this thread. If you wish to move to the FhoPol feel free.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I betcha if I made any comment at all you couldn't resist,,, ;)

Love you man.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm... your wipers are a LOT louder than mine lol... or maybe the video camera just amplifies the sound.

That's a lotta water and some nice satellite imagery of the storms...

9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :focus:

Mark57,

I was in OKC once for a few days back in the mid-70s. All I remember
    is eating an incredible steak at a "stockman's" restaurant that backed
    up to the stockyard, and the cowboy -- or was it rodeo? -- hall of fame.
    In my mind, that part of OK was flat as a griddle... I guess not.

Sorry to hear about the damages and difficulties.
    Glad to hear you came out of it all OK. :p

On a lighter note:

I wonder, is the weather in Normal, IL,
    always "normal" or merely typical for the time of year. ;)

Would this storm be normal in Norman, OK.? :rolleyes:

10. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that as well. My camera has dual speaker inputs, it was very close to the windshield when shooting the video, the wipers were on at max speed to minimize the blurring of the rain and it was very quiet inside the car.

That is just a very small creek that snakes its way through a few houses and crosses under the street. Nobody had ever seen it do that before, ever. It was close to my house and easy to film safely. I didn't even know it was doing that until I drove up on it. There were other what were much deeper and faster. I stayed far away from those.

Our resident celebrity weatherman Gary England (remember the movie Twister), said this was rated as a 500 year storm.

Sadly, none of the residents down stream of all this water had flood insurance. It's not part of a normal homeowner's policy so they've lost their houses with no monetary relief short of federal disaster assistance and a casualty loss break on next year's taxes. I'll also be filing for a casualty loss on my totaled roof on my house and the unreimbursed hail damage to my Prius.

When I said these storms were not "that" unusual, Enid, OK received 15.68 inches in a little over 3 hours in 1973. There are others as well.

11. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the sentiment.

That would be "Cattleman's Steakhouse" in Stockyards City. Stockyards City is an unincorporated section in the Middle of Oklahoma City, near downtown which as you might guess has the Oklahoma City National Stockyards. It was founded in 1910. Cattlemen's Steakhouse in Historic Stockyard City Their steaks are very good. Also back the it was called the Cowboy Hall of Fame with a ton of wonderful Frederic Remington artwork. Now it's called the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum It's a very cool place and the exhibits change all the time. Well worth the time to visit.

Compared to many places in the US, it is flat here but not as flat as you might think. Picking driving routes to work without hills for the Prius was more of a challenge than I thought. Also picking routes to take during ice storms also illustrates how flat is not.;) We have a lot of rolling hills. Now go West towards Amarillo and beyond . . . now THAT's FLAT. Drive East of OKC and it gets very hilly as well as North or South. It's fairly diverse, but no there are no 13,000 ft peaks like you used to see in some of the old westerns supposedly taking place in the old Indian Territory (OK).