1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Epsilon e-mail data breach thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Epsilon email data breach thread

For context, see Epsilon Data Breach Hits Banks, Retail Giants - Security - News & Reviews - eWeek.com.

Over the weekend, I started getting notifications from companies like TiVo, Disney, Best Buy and Chase about the data breach. TD Ameritrade's site also had a notification about this, after I logged into my brokerage account. (Yes, I've done business w/all of these and they all have my email address.)

Epsilon Breach: Here’s Which Companies’ Email Lists Have Been Exposed - Techland - TIME.com supposedly is a list, but it right now is missing TDAM.

I'd never even heard of Epsilon until I got my first notification.

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, I just read this AP news release and sent a copy to my daughter who uses the Capitol One credit card :(

I take comfort in knowing that I never, never give out personal financial data in reply to any email inquiry; no matter how official it looks. I think this breach reinforces my opinion that outsourcing security data management is a poor alternative to in-house management.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do banking online. I pay bills online. And Allah knows I buy tons of stuff online.

But only places on the web that start with "https://". I still get reminders to pay said bills in the snail mail because I will never trust any email I get asking for money no matter how legit that email may actually be.