1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EQB and Model Y test drives

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hkmb, Aug 23, 2022.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This weekend I test-drove two cars that have been around in other markets for a while but which were only launched in Australia this month - a Mercedes EQB and a Tesla Model Y. On the road (after registration fees, taxes, stamp duty, etc), the EQB is about A$103,000 and the MY is about A$77,000. Both prices are for the basic 2WD models - the EQB 250 and the MY RWD (the MY Long Range isn't available here - it's basic or Performance).

I did the Model Y first. You may all remember that I really didn't like the Model 3. I understand why people like it, but it was not for me: I didn't like the driving position, and I didn't like the way the interior looked and felt.

I was test-driving the Model Y mostly to rule it out, just in case. Last time I did that was with a BMW X3: I didn't expect to like it, but I ended up buying one. Given that, I thought I should make sure that the Model Y was what I thought it was, and make sure I didn't like it.

I was wrong. I know it's just a taller Model 3, but it felt completely different. There's so much more headroom and so much more glass that the interior design and materials, even though they're basically the same, felt nice. I liked it. I liked the driving position. I could see the central screen much more easily than in the M3: I have no idea why. I loved how much light there was: I don't know what the deal is elsewhere, but here all MYs have glass rooves, and between that and the deep windows it felt really airy.

One of the reasons I want an SUV is that I'm driving the very old in-laws around a lot, and it would be hard for them to get in and out of a sedan. The rear of the MY was really excellent for this. It's very easy to get in and out: the seats are at a good height, and the doors open very wide. The other thing I really liked was how much space there was under the front seats. In most cars, even if you have good kneeroom in the back, there isn't enough footroom, but in this you could slide your feet right under the front seat and stretch out. That will make a huge difference to the kids or the in-laws on longer journeys.

The other thing about the SUV is that I do need a lot of luggage space. My wife does a lot of buying and selling of antiques and stuff. The M3 just would not have worked for me because of this. The boot (trunk) in the MY was enormous. There's a massive extra section under the false floor too. And a huge frunk.

I've read a lot about the ride being too stiff in the MY. It was firm, but it was not terrible, and the car I was testing was on optional 20" wheels. I drove it on some pretty crap roads, and it was OK. I'm going to go back and try to drive a car on 19s: I've heard the ride is better on them.

On the road, it was very quiet - the double glazing clearly makes a difference. (I haven't had double glazing on a car since my old CL600.) It was comfortable, and easy to place because visibility was so good. The lack of a 360-degree camera was a bit annoying when I was parking, but the sensors - the first I've ever seen with a reading in centimetres (inches in America, I assume) to the nearest obstacle - were good enough.

The M3 I tested last year was from the US. All MYs sold in Australia will be from Shanghai (as, I think, are most M3s now), so this was a Chinese one. I know there was the illusion I've mentioned of things looking better because of increased space and light, but there was more to it than that: it was noticeably better screwed together on the inside, and panel gaps were a lot straighter on the outside.

I still find the screen a bit bewildering, and I would much prefer proper switches and knobs for ventilation and entertainment. But I think I could probably get used to it, especially if I got an after-market HUD.

All in all, I was very impressed. The one potential issue is price-related. I really like a light-coloured interior. This costs an extra A$1900, which is fine. But the New South Wales Government gives an exemption from $3,000 stamp duty for purchases of EVs under a certain threshold. I think the $1900 interior option may take it over that threshold, which would then make it a five grand option, which is a bit much. I'll have to check.

Then we went to test the EQB.

I tested the EQB because I thought it was probably going to be what I wanted. I test drove the EQA last year and liked it, but it was too small. I thought the EQB would do the job nicely. I've had a lot of Mercs and I've always liked them. And the seven seats would be an advantage, given the whole two-kids-and-two-in-laws thing: it would be useful if six of us could travel together.

But.... I didn't really like it.

Don't get me wrong. It was fine. But it didn't feel all that special inside. The not-leather was a lot nicer than the not-leather in the Tesla. (Side note - when did the word "vegan" come to mean "not"?) The switches were more solid. (Also, there were switches.) Visibility was great, because it's basically a van with windows. But it didn't feel as light and cheerful inside as the Tesla. Getting into it didn't feel like as much of an occasion as in the Tesla.

The driving seat was comfortable (but adjustment was manual! In 2022! In a A$100,000+ car!). But the middle-row seats were hard and unsupportive: it felt like sitting on a garden bench. The middle-row seats were also too low, or the floor was too high: your knees were a long way above your hips. And the rear doors didn't open all that wide: I think the in-laws would find getting in and out quite hard.

The boot - with the third row of seats folded down - should be massive, because the car looks like a van. It's big, but nowhere near as big as the MY. There is no frunk: I have no idea why.

The screens were clear and easy to use, and I liked the switches. I liked having an instrument cluster in front of me (my opinion of what happened in the meetings where they decided not to install a driver's display in the Tesla also begins with "cluster", but I digress).

It was nice. But it was not nice enough. It definitely wasn't A$26,000 nicer than a Model Y. While the seven seats would be practical, as my wife said, 26 grand buys a lot of Uber trips for times all six of us go out together.

----

So the Merc is a hard no.

But the Model Y.... I don't know. I might.

If VAG were going to sell the Enyaq, ID.4 or Q4 E-tron here any time soon, I'd probably go for one of them. But they're almost certainly not coming in the next 12 months. If I were more likely to win the buyer-application lottery for the Ioniq 5 than I am to win the actual lottery, and if Hyundai allowed test drives of the Ioniq 5 in Australia, I'd seriously consider that. If the iX3 or eGV70 were a little cheaper, I'd consider them, but I just don't see the value proposition. If the BYD Sea Lion were closer to being ready, I'd consider waiting for it.

The Model Y has some shortcomings: I don't love the not-leather and I don't love the lack of switches or instruments. But it is fundamentally a very good car, and it's cheap. And the waiting list is only about four to six months.

So I may go over to the dark side. I'm going to have to have a good think.

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Got an EQB 250+ lease last Sunday. So far we like it. Haven’t seen the third row in a Y for a long time I think the third row is more spacious in the EQB….

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it!

What colour is it? I know it sounds like a silly question, but they do have some great colours: I particularly like the rose gold and the very dark blue.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've only had one ride in a Y, an airport shuttle deal.

I sat in the right rear seat. I did not like how much the seat wobbled, felt like it was missing a couple of bolts.

I softly mentioned this to the driver, who was also the owner. He gave me a very, very hard look that communicated something between anguish and desperation. Apparently I'd noticed the one thing I wasn't supposed to notice about the ride.

Apart from that it was a good ride, seemed like a decent car.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you!

It’s white on beige, nothing exotic.

Both EQB and Y have a third row seat option, which if I’m not mistaken changes the 2nd row seats from fixed to adjustable fore-aft on rails. Adjustment on the EQB as far forward as possible is not a “latched” position, I’d need to slide it back a tiny bit for it to lock into place. If the Y you rode in had the 3rd row option maybe the seat you were sitting in wasn’t locked in place? Or maybe there was a build issue?

I took a picture yesterday morning in covered parking. I didn’t do any special effects it just came out that way. IMG_0774.jpg

ammdb likes this.
  6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My wife is looking at the same 2 BEV's for the same reason we need 7 seats. She had a loaded GL550 before and loved it but we moved twice and no place to garage it safely. We sold it back to the dealership. She has always missed that SUV. Cargo room is important and Price wise they are similar...but the EQB is 235 range which will be 200 miles in the winter. Not a big deal until we take 600 miles trips back to Colorado. The 310 mile range in the MY is much more interesting to me.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The range Tesla reports is in line with the tank range reported for an ICE car. It is what you should get based on all available energy and EPA ratings, plus a little bit in reserve for limping to a refueling spot. The other EV manufacturers seem to be under reporting their models' potential range. The range difference between the two here is likely going to be a bit smaller.

What is more important for your Colorado trip is the availability, reliability, and speed of chargers on the route. If those are in place, the shorter range EV just means adding another charge stop. There Tesla still has an advantage. Though maybe it is good enough for the EQB now; it should improve over the time you have the car.

Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the link.(y) Yes ultimately it will come down to cargo size and what my wife prefers....the cost difference doesn't seem to be that much. Test drives and further review is needed. :cautious:
    So if she ends up with a MY.....I will need a Urus in Green to contrast and beat her in the 1/4 mile....

and an extra $245K :eek:

#8 ColoradoCrow, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    hkmb likes this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I’ll have to try a longer trip to confirm, but some manufacturers limit the number of fast charges done in one day, and/or limit the rate of fast charging. I do believe this may be regarding the ‘23 Outlander PHEV which has 7 seats standard. The third row was so small my wife (5 ft max) felt cramped when she tried it…

Mercedes’ plan with Electrify America is free 30 mins ON, then you have to wait one hour, then you can charge 30 mins again (2 years).

Right now it appears the car is programmed to fully charge to 100%. I just started charging 10 mins ago and before the display went dark I am at 25 kWh rate, the EQB can take a max 100 kWh rate, and the station has a listed 150 kWh max. I still need to learn how everything works and I’ll report…

hkmb and ColoradoCrow like this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll never be able to confirm it, but the look on the guy's face led me to think it was a build issue and he was having a hard time getting it fixed.

11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That photo came out pretty spectacular. It looks like a motor-show shoot or something with the way the lighting flared. Wait, are you JJ Abrams?

Anyway, a beige interior is a fine choice. It'll be much lighter and more pleasant than the black.

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's someone down at the end of my road with an Urus. It might be good in a drag race, but this one is possibly the slowest way to get across Sydney.

We still have rather stricter marijuana laws than in Colorado. And this black Urus has "420" as its licence plate. I've seen it stopped by the police more than I've seen it moving along the road.

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I was talking with someone the other day. They said in my small town, living across the street from them is a known to the police small time distributor. As long as it isn't hard drugs and the amounts are small, the police figure that arresting them would mean someone else would move in to the selling slot and they might be much worse than these sellers. Pragmatic policing. Heck the police around here are consumed by killings, most gang related.

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm beginning to understand the challenges of converting gas vehicles to pure EV. (If my understanding is correct the EQB is the BEV version of the GLB). I opened the driver door the first morning to look at the tire placard, and to my surprise 50 PSI for 235/55R18 XL tires. Wow, that's a lot, until I looked at GVWR, 6008 lbs! I had forgotten that Mercedes puts another placard in the gas flap (EV flap) which gives two pressures depending on load/predicted speed. It's one heavy vehicle. I am curious about the Y, how heavy it is, being developed as an EV from scratch...

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Y is a lightweight compared to other EVs in its class. It weighs about low 1,800kg curb weight for the SR RWD but rises to near 2,000kg for the LR AWD or Performance. The EV6 starts at 1,810kg for the 58kWh battery. Mine with the 77.4kWh battery and 20” rims weighs in at 2,100kg curb. GVWR is around 2,500kg IIRC. Keep in mind that the EV6 is built on a dedicated platform. And the PSI is a reasonable 36 psi all around.

The GLB is heavy for such a small car. The BMW iX has a curb weight starting at 2,500kg (5,500 lbs) and obviously the GWVR is over 6,000 lbs.

For comparison, an i4 weighs between 2,000kg and 2,200kg and it’s based on the 4 series. The battery is larger than my EV6 (83.9kWh) which may account for some of the extra weight. Also, pouch Li-Ion batteries are lighter than prismatic or cylindrical so that’ll account for some of the weight savings on the EV6 over the i4.

The Model 3 tops out around 1,800kg. RWD is around 1,600kg, or a little more than the new 2023 Prime (1,570kg).

#15 Tideland Prius, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    jzchen likes this.
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For our Model Y, the seatbelt receivers are flush with the seats. This can make it difficult to plugin the seatbelts. If the Ys sold in Australia are like this as well, I would recommend some short seatbelt extenders.

As for buttons, if you really like them I have seen a great, IMO, solution.
    https://electrek.co/2023/01/24/tesla-finally-gets-buttons-physical-inputs-thanks-new-smart-accessory/

Here is a direct link to the product: https://ctrl-bar.com/
    The product is new and expected to start shipping in June.

This connects via Bluetooth, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for any Model Y.

Good luck with your decision and have fun with the various test drives:)

#16 Zythryn, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Curious about the EQB frunk? Looks like an engine in there. First time I’ve found a dual chamber coolant reservoir! The front cylindrical portion looked low, larger rear looked high so I opened the front cap, not realizing there are two, until coolant immediately sprayed out under pressure! What/Why? It has been sitting overnight. (You can see the coolant that leaked out. I am going to wipe it off)… IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard Mercedes tend to be on the heavy side.
    Was the car plugged in? The coolant system was likely pressurized for charging and preconditioning if so.

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The car was fully charged at our local mall Electrify America station with one free 29 min charge yesterday evening. I then moved it to a nearby available parking spot so someone else could use it. We then drove home (about 2.5 mi) and left it in the driveway. It had been roughly 12 hours, not plugged in, no “go times” setup as far as I’m aware.

(I did read up some in the manual that 80% is a better charge level to leave it at, to charge to 100% if you are going to use the extra capacity right away. BTW it noted 274 mi range on the display when it was fully charged, which I was happy to see)…

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    New, the truck stop measured my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus with driver, stock tires, dogs, and tool box at 3,800 lbs (1,727 kg.)

Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius, jzchen and Zythryn like this.