1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Equipment to buy for jumpstarting a PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Mayank Jain, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi all,

All the happiness & the jubilation took a steep U turn & my heart skipped a beat, when I tried to start the newly bought used car yesterday night. It was dead as a doornail. Nothing worked - no car locks, no lights, no ignition, nothing. I opened the doors manually, took the charger out and plugged it in - even the charging light did not come on (I was able to test the charger with the Test button though).

I am assuming the 12v battery died. I must have left something ON while the car was parked from last 2 days.

Couple of questions (I am a first time car owner)
    1. Should I buy a jump-starter kit or get the AAA membership?
    2. If buying the jump starter kit, which one should I get? (how much amperes & what configuration of jump starter kit works for PiP?) I live in walking distance to Target, Home Depot & Best Buy. Amazon works too.
    3. Once I jump start the car, how long do I keep it running to charge the battery to full?
    4. How do I prevent this from happening in future? (Or just keep the jump start kit in the trunk?)
    I am anxious as hell! But I guess PriusChat will help me sail through my first 12v battery blues :)

Thanks!

2. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All the other threads I saw in PC spoke about how to jumpstart - none about which equipment is a good choice. Hence, I thought I should start this thread fresh.

Thanks!

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jump starting is a dead end; I would focus on:

1. Digital multimeter, to check the at-rest voltage.
    2. Smart charger, 3~4 amp range.
    3. Last because it's a little pricey, but really the best: Solar BA5, a DIY level electronic battery tester.

Mayank Jain likes this.
  4. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi @Mayank Jain sorry to find your baby pains (Balarista in Sanskrit) with your new baby PiP.
    The 12v battery in PiP is like any other car's 12V but heard somewhere(may be in Youtube) that jump starting PiP needs some different care. Just do some research before connecting the clips.
    I had a Powerbank 12V jump starting kit(Ref:
    ) from Amazon, which I have been using for my other cars and motorcycle (see my signature for vehicle details) so far, no issues. But never got a chance to use it on my PiP so far. I dont think using it on my PiP makes a diff when I need to.
    If you want, you can borrow it from me(I am in Fremont) to get some life to your new baby.

But I am surprised why you cant charge your PiP plugging into the wall.

Raytheeagle and Mayank Jain like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) change your info to plug in.

2) are you plugging in? the 12v gets charged when you plug in.

Data Daedalus, Mayank Jain and padroo like this.
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

There you go, you don't need a battery charger, you already have one.

Here is what I bought for portable starting. You don't have to buy this one but get one that has a high Amp rating. They are pretty small and can be easily carried in the car. They don't drain down just sitting, I checked mine yesterday after sitting all winter without charging. Good to have in an emergency.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9FZM4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#6 padroo, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Mayank Jain likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    once it is dead, if it is original, probably best to buy a new one. especially in warm climates.

8. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The manual said that when you plugin the charger, a small indicator on the charging port (in the car) comes on (shows like a small plug turned on). However, when I plugged it in, it did not turn on.
    1. Could this be because the 12ev was dead?
    2. Should I just keep it plugged in for 2-3 hours irrespective?
    3. Any other indication that the car is charging?
    I'll definitely connect something else to that wall socket to make sure that it works.

Thanks

[​IMG]

9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You may have to take the battery and have it charged and tested.

Did it work the way it says in your post, did the indicator light before?

10. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I did not have a chance to test that before hand. I brought it charged from the dealer, parked it, thats it :(

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would call the dealer and see if they will take care of it for you, it's worth a try.

12. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The dealer is in SF, I'm in Cupertino (50 miles away).

So I'm sitting in my car, charger is plugged in (& i tested the outlet by plugging in my phone). But i still don't see any activity in the car.

What else can I try?

Thanks!

13. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Gosh, can't believe nobody suggested a jump start, using regular cables. It should work just fine, using the charging terminal under the hood at the fuse block: open the little red cover under the black one to expose the positive lug, and connect the negative cable to a nearby bolt on the frame. The "starter" is really just a computer boot-up, which then engages the inverter to power the MG that starts the gas engine. Run it for a while and the 12-v battery should charge, even if it's been deep discharged once. Be sure to check all interior lights (including inside the cargo area) for what might have run down the 12-v battery.

Data Daedalus and Mayank Jain like this.
  14. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Quick update.
    I got a jump starter kit from a neighbor (god sent). Connected to the terminals under the hood, nothing happened. Then crawled inside the trunk and opened it up, exposed the battery and connected to it, voila!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SlidingBike likes this.
  15. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm still very curious, why did the battery run down? I tried locking the car again as i normally do, and everything seems to be off, except the red blinking light with a symbol of car+key. I'm assuming it's an immobilizer symbol (as i read in other thread).

If entire dashboard is off, no light is visibly turned on, no indicator is on, i guess the car is off.

Is my assumption correct? 1520144657661.png

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check for phantom loads by putting aforementioned multimeter into amperage mode and connect in series between neg battery post and ground, with car off and closed. You can run leads out under hatch gasket.

Normal would be around 20 milliamperes.

17. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have the equipment to try this myself.

For now, the car is turned off (according to me, atleast) and is parked in garage. I gave it a good 10 mile (power mode) run before parking it. Let's see what happens in the morning. I'm curious to see if it starts up properly or it dies yet again.

If it starts up : Then I must be at total fault for the last time battery died.
    If it dies yet again : Either I still left something on, or as @Mendel Leisk suggested, there is a phantom load => both need further investigation.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For future finders of this post, I used this Jump start kit :
    Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter (link : http://amzn.to/2Fd5i4w)

albus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a precaution, I really would replace your 12v battery with a brand new one. This is normally something I’ve done with all new (used) vehicles that I’ve ever bought.

Dealers are NOT famous for putting a brand new 12v battery in a used vehicle before selling it. They’ve been known to charge up an existing old and expiring 12v battery in a vehicle just to make sure the new buyer can drive it off their lot, and then it’s out of their hands. Even if it does die 24 hours later, they’ll wriggle out of replacing it under guarantee, instead, claiming its wear and tear, or blaming the new owner for having inadvertently run it down - ergo, that 12v battery may have already been “kaput” when you purchased your PiP.

My advice? Buy a brand new 12v for peace of mind, at least, you’ll know its history.

FYI, I bought a 5 year old 2nd Gen Prius in 2013; the 12v battery only lasted barely a year before it started to fail. Turned out it was the original 12v that came with the vehicle. Rule of thumb in the UK, 2nd Gen Prii 12v batteries will normally last between 5 to 6 years before malfunctioning. I don’t know how this translates for 3rd Gen and PiP.

iPhone ? Pro

20. Mayank Jain

Mayank Jain Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's a valid point. Thanks for that nugget :)

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.