1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error Code at Autozone: P3190 - Engine Does Not Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seth4, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, after having NON-DEALERSHIP maintenance done about 2 weeks ago; I have been having this issue. The maintenance that was done was replacing my brake drums and shoes on the rear wheels. I did not have this code before but I did have P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1). Which means my Catalytic Converter is below it's desired efficiency target, not a huge deal for my state.

However, the car works, remarkably well actually. I do feel like I notice a slight difference in throttling which seems to align with this article 2001-2009 Prius P3191, P3190, P0A0F - easy checks for these common codes I haven't tested the 12v battery but I just got back to my town from a >1700 mile round-trip vacation, with some of the BEST performance I've seen in terms of MPG...in months. So all of this is perplexing, because my dash is full of critical errors, which is why I had it checked, but my car is performing better than my average. I think I'll check the status of the 12v battery. I just thought of all this again and am just doing the research at the time of posting this; recommendations and thoughts are appreciated. I haven't had the money or time since the maintenance to go to my Dealership

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jack her up and spin the tires to make sure the brakes aren't rubbing. are your mpg's okay?

3. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It turns out it’s probably my front right wheel bearing? I took it back to the same shop that replaced the rear assembly and that’s what they said it was. My dashboard has had like every error and maintence light on it and the right front break has been squealing on tight turns and humming at mid-high speeds. It feels like it’s grinding and not moving as freely on that side.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is all very confusing.

What does code P3190 mean ??
    And how can it run remarkably well if it does not start ???

It sounds to me like you have two problems going on here......and they likely don't have anything to do with each other.
    Definitely have the 12 V battery tested.....or just replaced if it is over 5 years old.

5. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for my delayed response. I checked the 12V and it’s fine; that error code is just what I got from Autozone, I’m not sure of it’s cause. I do believe that my wheel bearing is causing the bulk of the issues and the car does start so I’m not sure what the code was for.

However it’s also possible that during the brake maintenance , something was broken, unintentionally or not; I kind of don’t know whether or not I should trust this particular shop.

6. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles do you have on this car? Also does engine burn oil?

7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How exactly did you "check it" ??

A really LOT of owners have said that in the past.........only to find out later that it really is NOT "fine"......after wasting time and money on other things.

Anyway, you need to find out what that code MEANS.

8. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    About 290,000 and not that I’ve noticed.

9. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I didn’t use a meter on it but unplugging it and plugging it back in didn’t clear any dash lights. I’m going to my dealership tomorrow and I can have them check the codes and get their actual info, not autozone’s.

10. Seth4

Seth4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I appreciate all the responses. Thanks everyone.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That does NOTHING to indicate that the battery is fine.
    Make sure the dealer tests it.

12. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cat converter going bad is indicative of engine that burns oil internally, especially for a high mileage engine. Please monitor your oil level on the very regular basis. Top it off often if necessary.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.