1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error Code p011B

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hoarybat, Jun 20, 2017.

1. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Error Code p011B Changed the Coolant and drove for a week but error code persists. 100+K. Will this prevent me from getting a sticker which is due? Could it be a MAF sensor? Would prefer to fix myself dealer is big bucks!

The engine has two temperature sensors, an Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and an Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor, to detect the temperature while the engine is in operation. A thermistor, whose resistance value varies according to the temperature, is built into each sensor. When the temperature is low, the resistance of the thermistor increases. When the temperature is high, the resistance drops. These variations in resistance are transmitted to the Engine Control Module (ECM) as voltage changes. Based on these temperature signals output from the sensors, the ECM determines the fuel injection time and the ignition timing to control the engine.

2. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    all set flushed coolant replaced code gone after 2 days of driving.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

4. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    AH crap it just came back on. Hmm coolant temperature control sensor since it went away for a couple weeks? Time for trip to expensive dealer! I may use them to diagnose the patient but from what I understand they often have difficulty with this error code.

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do you have an OBD bluetooth reader that you can connect to the free Torque app? If not, I'd recommend getting one. They are around $5 online.

With this reader and app, you can monitor both engine temperature and intake sensor temperature to see which one is complaining about overtemping. This will help you narrow down a little.

My first thought when you said it came back was waterpump, though... if the engine is running fine and the waterpump doesn't open when it's supposed to, temporarily(ie: sticks), it could cause the temperature to spike, setting off the code and then dropping the temps. Monitoring the sensors will help you know if this is the situation as well.

The reader will also let you clear the code.

Causes for this code may include:
    Defective ECT/IAT sensor
    Open or shorted ECT/IAT sensor wiring or connector
    Low engine coolant condition
    Bad thermostat
    Faulty water pump
    Air pocket in engine cooling system
    PCM or PCM programming error