1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error code p0aa6 please help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sammy1220, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Sammy1220

Sammy1220 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a mess and a really long post, I’m sorry... I have an 08 Prius gen 2, 250,000 miles on it. It was running perfect until I took it to a little oil change place in town. I pulled into the bay, went to a store while they did their thing and the guy called me and said the car wouldn’t start. I go back and they had pushed it out of the bay. It had the triangle of death and all of the lights on and wouldn’t go into ready mode. I got it towed home and started googling. I read that if a Prius is over-filled with oil it could get in the air intake, which had happened. We cleaned it out but the car still wouldn’t turn on. We disconnected the 12 volt battery, took it to autozone and had it checked. They said the battery was good but needed to be charged. We charged it, put it back in and it turned on. Drove it to work, and started to come home the triangle came back (drove about 60 miles). We again charged the 12 volt, drove it again, triangle came back on (this time about 45 miles). Stopped got a new 12 volt battery, this time O’reilly’s said it was bad. As soon as we turned the car back on, the triangle came on, so they ran an obd scanner, no codes detected. We ordered a carista OBD2 scanner and downloaded the dr Prius app. While we waited for that to come in the mail, we took out the hybrid battery. Checked each module with a voltage meter, all 7.6 or 7.7. We checked them numerous times over 3 days and they stayed the same the whole time. Carista arrived, put the battery back. Ran the carista obd with dr Prius app. We ran both battery tests 2 times each. We got 2 different reading for both. On one of the tests it said block 12, 1,4, and 10 were all suspected bad. The second time We ran the same test it said 8,3,11, and 12. Why would they not be the same blocks? I will post pictures of those results. The other test has a lot of Information in it but I really don’t understand what any of it means, I’m still reading up on it now, but we finally got a code p0aa6. I really need some advice on what to do now. I have no clue what to try now. The first picture is from before the car was driven, the next two were while the car was being driven, the fourth is after we drove it.

2C55BCA9-7067-47CD-9DD6-4B58DCB44415.png
    25D3D7B4-7DBF-4972-85FA-05A1FB8B5ACF.png
    5545EA0D-3364-4989-8E07-0CEECE625E4A.png
    1ECBF9DF-ACEE-49DB-A915-140F9C8BED7F.png

2. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

That code is for a high voltage leak. The battery is a likely source. The leak could also be caused by the inverter, transmission, AC compressor, or damaged wiring. Every time you disconnected the 12 volt battery the codes were cleared and that allowed your car to start again.

m.wynn likes this.
  3. Michael Bones

Michael Bones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had the same problem with that code. Like strawbrad said it is a code that pops when there is a short between the high voltage system and the DC system. My mechanic told me that there was a known problem with the windings inside of the transmission eventually leaking the high voltage via short to the case of the transmission itself. He kept measuring the resistance through the connector of the transmisson and everything looked ok but he told me that he still suspected that the transmission was going bad. The main problem was that there were no sub codes which made the diagnoses difficult. He told me to keep driving the car and resetting the system until the sub codes were set. This took weeks to do and it was nerve wrecking. Finally the issue stepped up and made itself known and it was the transmisson. The problem was that when the transmission finally shorted out .... it took out the hybrid battery also. I spent $950.00 on the battery rebuild and $1100.00 on a good used transmission to resolve the problem. Now here I am 1 year later having battery problems again. At least you have a lot more miles on your 2008. My 2007 only has 157k. I swear...the Gen2's had all kinds of these problems. If I were you I'd get rid of that 2008 with all of the miles you already have on it or it is going to start costing you a shitload of money. What is crazy is that my neighbor has a 2007 just like mine with even more miles and he has not had one problem. I think that either you get a good one or one that is a borderline lemon.

bisco likes this.
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's *highly unlikely* the transmission was the problem. Yes it happens, but that's mostly a Gen-1 issue. Gen-2's and up, rarely. Like a handful of cases a year kind of rare.

Most likely your battery got hot and leaked, you are in L.A. that causes a HV Isolation fault. You needed to replace the battery and clear the codes. The rebuild did that and it worked. The transaxle was most likely fine when you replaced it.

A rebuilt/refurbished/re-whatevered battery is just a fancy way of saying "used". Your only option in today's world is a new battery. There are only 2 sources of new batteries with OE comparable specs. One is Toyota, the OEM.

strawbrad likes this.
  5. Michael Bones

Michael Bones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We actually opened up the failed transmission right after the swap. The good used transmission was out of a 2009 gen2. Upon opening up the original trans I could see how the coils were completely fried. The guy doing the work is actually a childhood friend of my roommates. It is highly unlikely that he did anything dishonest. I have also seen many issues with the 2007 and there is a TSB that states that there was a problem with the 2007's withing a vin code range.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2,250,000 miles?

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There should be a subcode of the code. Without that, all what you're doing is just trial and error. Have tech stream to check the subcode(s). That narrows the problem area down for you. Don't replaced parts yet.