1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error codes after brake job 2018 Prius two

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Udo, Jan 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Udo

Udo New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all. I have tried to find an answer to this, but can't get a clear answer.

Recently my dealer said I needed new brakes and rotors, front and back. They quoted me 1200. So that wasnt going to happen. I went to another mechanic I trusted and had them done for about 250. As soon as they set it down and turned back on, the error codes started to fly. I can't recall all the messages, but here are the ones I remember:
    Brake fluid low
    Brake system malfunction
    Pre collision system malfunction
    Abs malfunction
    Traction malfunction
    Parking assist malfunction

All say visit your dealer of course.

There were more I think, but cant remember it and am not at the car right now. The mechanic pulled out his scanner and went about clearing codes. After a little, all codes cleared. I went home, testing all the systems it complained about and they all seemed to work just fine.

Two days later, I started up the car and all the error codes came right back on. I'm going back there today so they can have another look. I dont have the exact error codes at this time, but can get them in a few hours when I'm there. Any suggestions on what happened, what can be done, and if this is just a matter of codes or am I going to need more work done?

Thanks for any and all help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe he didn't get all the air out

3. Udo

Udo New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny enough, that was it. Went there, he checked that immediately, drained out the air and refilled the fluid. All codes cleared and didn't return. Apparently one of the pistons had gotten pushed all the way out of the caliper and let some air into the line. Thanks for answering anyway!

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Without knowing the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that were stored, it’s difficult to say for sure.

One possible explanation, however, is that the technician didn’t follow the correct procedures from the Repair Manual (more info). As @bisco kindly notes, there may now be air trapped in the hydraulic system, and if so, I know of only one reliable way to get it out: do the “Bleed Brake System” procedure from the Repair Manual. This requires a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or true equivalent, because that’s the only way to make the skid control ECU (the computer that runs the brake system) operate the valves in the correct sequence to purge all of the air. This is different, by the way, from the “Bleed Brake Line” procedure, which can be done without Techstream but is effective only if air hasn’t yet entered the rest of the system.