1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error codes: C1252, C1256, C1300

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Branch12, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Branch12

Branch12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Toyota Prius with 308,000 miles (body) engine replaced at 256,000 with one that had 56k. Has been sitting about a year because the hybrid battery needed to be replaced. Replaced it a few days ago and now these codes came up when the guy changed it. I looked up C1256, and from my finding it looks like it is the accumulator pump- is this correct? Couldnt find any info on the other codes. I don’t really wanna get rid of the car because it’s in good shape, no major body damage, inside is in good condition. When the breaks went out last year that’s when I found out the hybrid battery also needed to be replaced. Toyota didn’t know why the breaks went out and sent me on my way. Any recommendations? Here’s a pic of the codes from the guys computer.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have tech stream?
    Techinfo.toyota.com

3. Branch12

Branch12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t, from that link it looks like it’s $1,200 for one year? Way out of my budget for this.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's package price for Techstream doesn't include a laptop computer to run it on, but does include a J2534 dongle to connect a laptop to the car, and it's the rather pricey dongle that they officially test and support (around $500 just for that). Many on PriusChat are using different J2534 dongles in the $20 to $150 range or so.

Any subscription level at techinfo gives you access to all the manuals (which you'll find very helpful or even indispensable depending on what kind of problem you're chasing), including the two-day $20 basic level. To get an official activation for the Techstream software, which some do, you have to go to the professional level, $65 for the two day term, still no worse than going to the dealer to watch them scratch their heads.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The "guy" is running Toyota Techstream (or Mini VCI) on his laptop.

Based upon your post, it appears that you knew the braking system was not working a year ago. The first two DTC point to the brake actuator, however the third DTC points to the skid control ECU as having failed. Hence I would start by replacing that ECU, however it is possible that the brake actuator also will need to be replaced.

6. Branch12

Branch12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I took it to the dealer because we changed the wheel hubs I think, and couldn’t get the brakes to bleed. And when I took it to the dealer that’s when they told me it needed a hybrid battery, Cadillac converter and a spiral cord thing that is under the steering wheel. Didn’t have the $5k+ to do it so it sat til now. Now that the battery is replaced it’s showing these codes. I bought an ECU, now I just need to find a brake actuator if Toyota does nothing- contacted Toyota about the replacement but the time period expired. Hopefully they can at least discount some of the work or something. If they can’t discount I’ll find a used one and put it on and let Toyota bleed the brakes. And hopefully have a working car.