1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error codes p0300, p0310 AND p0302

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Coaks02, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Coaks02

Coaks02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys,
    I need a little help on this. Here is the background. 140k miles on the car, started running rough and kicked out a misfire code for Cylinder 1. I changed all four spark plugs and swapped the coils for 1 and 2. It started really rough when the gas engine would kick on, but it only lasts about 5 seconds. After running it a short while, I got the general misfire (P0300) and misfires for both cylinders 1 and 2 (P0301 and P0302). Before I start chasing this all over the place, I thought I would ask and see if anyone has some advice on this. Could it be possible that the coil originally on Cylinder 2 (now on one) also went bad in that short amount of time and now I need to replace 2 coils? Or could there be another issue that I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    have you cleaned the egr circuit and intake manifold?

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try swapping coils 3 and 4 with 1 and 2. Erase the codes and see if it’ll come back the same cylinders or not.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It can sometimes be the fuel injector(s) as well.

audiodave likes this.
  5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As “bisco” asked, “Have you cleaned the EGR circuit and intake manifold?”. This is most likely the problem. This is really a common cause of engine startup rattle and rough running. Your discription fits the cause and effect to a tee.

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you checked or replaced the spacrk plugs yet?
    Swapped the coils, and see what happens. If it does not fix it, get new ones and replace entirely. Are they expensive over your location?
    If that also does not fix, service the fuel injectors, and probably replace if that also does not solve it.
    Mehn, I just hope this is not related to cracked cylinder gasket on the concerned cylinders?