1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error icons but no error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by montreal, Jul 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. montreal

montreal Junior Member

My 2005 Prius is showing me the red triangle, red engine and the three brake related icons. I purchased a Foseal WIFI OBD 2 OBD2 OBDII unit and connected to the car. I experimented with a couple of apps: Dashcommand (free), torque (lite) and OBD car doctor free. I can see engine temperature, rpm, 12 volt battery but diagnostics tell me there are no error codes. Not current, pending or historic. When I tell the software to clear codes, it claims to have done so. When I shut off the car and restart, the warning icons are gone. The car runs for less than a minute and then the errors return but not always including the red engine one. Still each app claims no error codes.

The 12 volt battery shows 14.2 volts by the OB2 and was replaced three weeks ago.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cliff

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You really need to get a mini vci w/toyota techstream and a dedicated laptop with xp. It is the most reliable way to diagnose your car outside of going to the dealer. Look in Amazon and Ebay for them. Many threads on this site on using them.

valde3 and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with above^^^ , those readers aren't prius aware for certain codes. and you need to read the 12v with the car off. even though it's only 3 weeks old, it's worth testing.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bisco likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When some of the lights that are on are the brake ones, you're kind of in luck, because even while you're waiting for a better scan tool (or PID files for Torque), you can read codes from the brake computer using just a short wire, counting light blinks. Nice to know even when you own a scan tool, in case you happen to be caught without it when those lights come on.

A thread search will pull up the details.

-Chap

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 12 volt battery 14 volts is the charging voltage and somewhat meaningless.
    You Did not mention miles on the car and your history with it,
    And I assume you are in Canada.

All of your obds are not hybrid capable so all pretty useless.
    Torque is cool but does not have proprietary toyotatechstream like mini vci which for hybrid is better. A very good investment is an XGauge
    Just because it's a great form factor to use while you drive,
    Another is vxdiag which is plug and also Toyota techstream.
    Based on the amount of cars of that vintage we see if the mfd is showing a car icon we call a turtle it most likely needs a new hybrid battery.

7. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an Automatic OBD II adapter and it works great with my Prius. It diagnosed the two HV battery failures I had last month. Therefore, I'd say it's hybrid-capable (plus, the website says it's compatible with the Prius). It's also great for keeping track of MPG, connecting to your Nest Thermostat, and other things.