1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error Lights on Dash: ABS, VSC and Master Warning Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cluckidee, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Cluckidee

Cluckidee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While driving downhill on a very windy road in the mountains today, I experienced an unexpected issue. The Master Warning light came on, followed by the ABS and VSC lights on the dash. Also my display screen showed the word "problem" while the car began a continuous beeping alarm. Simultaneously, the brakes began to "chirp" when pressure was applied to the brake pedal. It was not a metallic or scraping sound, but more of an electronic sound. I pulled over and turned off the car, checked under the hood for fluid leakage and everything looked fine. When I restarted the car, the master warning light came back on but the other two lights did not. The brakes seem to operate as usual, but almost randomly the "chirping" sound returns when the pedal is pressed. Otherwise everything seems fine. I'm hesitant to go to the dealer and spend a fortune for a diagnosis, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    what was the outside temp? how many miles on her?
    you'll have to get the codes read by someone with a prius reader.

3. Cluckidee

Cluckidee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi thanks,

We were up pretty high where the air was pretty cool. I'd say it was in the mid 70's. The mileage is around 127,000 on it.

As to getting the car codes read, can you suggest a cheap or free place to go? I haven't done that yet but it needs to be done. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, no. maybe someone who lives in your area will chime in. auto parts places do it for free, but they don't have the correct meter. you can start there and report back here with the codes. sometimes they're helpful, usually not.
    a dealer will probably want $100. to test it. you can look around for a hybrid shoppe.

the chirping may mean you need a new brake actuator, i'm not sure. they are under extended warranty until sometime this year.
    it's always worth testing your 12v battery. do you know how old it is?
    is your oil level okay? all the fluids under the hood?

5. Cluckidee

Cluckidee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay that's great,

But now the lights have all gone off and there is no more chirping coming from my brakes. Is it still worth it to go have a code read? Or will it not show up unless lights are on?

I also checked the oil since some similar threads recommended that... it was low but still within range. Not sure if since I was driving downhill for such a prolonged time, that maybe the cars system thought I was low on oil? I topped it off anyway, but the light went off before I got to that point.

Appreciate all your help.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It sounds like the lights were lit because a problem was detected so a code or codes should be logged. If the VSC light lit because of how the car was driven there may not be a code (I have never looked but should remember to do so). Disconnecting the 12v battery will clear the codes so don't do that.

Low oil level won't trip the brake lights.