1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error lights & persistent noise. :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by uncleflip, Feb 22, 2023.

1. uncleflip

uncleflip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today is NOT fun. I already have to take my minivan into the shop, now the Prius (2014( is giving me issues.

Out running errands just now, the traction warning, parking brake indicator, and ABS lights all came on at the same time. The car seems to operate normally, but braking does feel a bit weird- though it's hard to describe HOW it feels weird. Also, when I stopped and got out of the car with it still running, I noticed the sound I often hear after stopping my car (I have no idea what the sound is) was happening repeatedly. I caught the audio (and some icredibly interesting video) in the following clip:

Pretty sure I should get it to the shop right away, but the timing couldn't be worse. Having both cars down simultaneously is not the best option. If I'm careful with braking, should I be ok driving it until I can get the van back?

Thanks much, from the sibling who is NOT the car guy.

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you do not have a scan tool, you should take your car to a place that will check for trouble codes for free, like Autozone or similar. Then post the trouble codes that are found.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. uncleflip

uncleflip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I absolutely figured I would have to obtain some codes one way or another. I guess part of why I posted was just to see if anyone knew off the top of their head what this sort of behavior could indicate.

I guess I also hoped someone could tell me what that noise is. I hear that noise frequently, but not in succession like that. I've never known what that sound is.

I have to head up to my mechanic tomorrow with the minivan anyway, so once I get that taken care of, I could probably easily return in my prius, and see if they can scan it there.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Notice that you are able to get the codes without having to take your Prius anywhere or have anybody else scan it, as linked in post #3.

While I may know off the top of my head some things this sort of behavior could indicate, the responsible thing for me to do would be to wait for some codes before shooting my mouth off. If I were your doctor and you said you had a headache, one thing that could indicate might be brain cancer, but I'd probably wait for some basic checks before putting that idea in your head.

6. uncleflip

uncleflip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I get that I should definitely get codes first. I obviously wasn't looking for anyone to give me any definitive answers, just maybe a ballpark idea of what this could possibly indicate.

To use your doctor analogy, if something went wrong with me physically, I might ask a friend if they had ever had something similar happen, just as a colloquial way to perhaps ease some fears - but for a definitive answer and what it could be, I would definitely go see a doctor.

In short, in both cases, someone might ask a friend if they know what's going on - but to actually get it diagnosed and fixed, they would seek professional help.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How would it be if our bodies actually gave us trouble codes it took 30 seconds to read, so right when we called that friend or that doctor we could say "and by the way, my body is saying this"?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @uncleflip, this may or may not be applicable, but anyway:

Do you have anything constantly plugged into the OBD port? That was me with a scanguage, and it eventually caused something to periodically break contact somehow, and I had symptoms similar to yours, namely:

CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning
    Brake warning lights
    Brakes felt "off", still worked, but took considerably more effort, seemed to have less modulation

This occurred about 3 times, dealership checked and cleared codes, and the last time they suggested to disconnect the scanguage. That did the trick.

9. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you end up taking the vehicle anywhere to have the codes read, do not allow anybody to clear the codes or disconnect the 12V battery.

Reading the codes by yourself using the paper clip method is your best bet. If either C1391, C1252, C1256, or C1253 pop up, AND the mileage is under 150,000, you are in for a free repair courtesy of Toyota's ZJB customer support program.

Judging by the video, in which the brake booster pump can be heard running every 2-3 seconds, it's quite likely there is an internal leak in the brake booster assembly. If your vehicle is covered, Toyota will also replace the booster pump for good measure.

[​IMG]

CR94 likes this.
  10. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the causes and fixes for C1252, C1253 and C1256?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV