1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Error p0a80 fan check

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nir44, Oct 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Nir44

Nir44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi , my Prius gen3 poped an error check hybrid system, I tried checking if the fan works by putting a paper on the inlet ( my Prius had no filter behind it) I felt no suction and do not hear the fan spin ) is the fan suppose to be always working when the car is started , Even if one of the hv battery modules is faulty ? I'm asking to understand if I have found the problem which is that the fan no working so the battery down for thermal safety ,how can I in minimal effort know if my fan working when it supposed?. I tried removing some panels and I still don't hear the fan and I was wondering how to test it without removing more parts simply by making sure it supposed to be working and hearing feeling it by hand

2. Nir44

Nir44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Image of current panels disassembly state

Attached Files:

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In your title you say P0A80. Your post only mentions a "check hybrid system" message and doesn't mention any details of what trouble codes were read, but if P0A80 was read, that isn't a cooling fan code. It's about the voltage spread between battery blocks when operating under load.

4. Nir44

Nir44 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh thanks , yes the code was read from the car computer, so the problem is specifically one or more of the battery modules cannot be balanced? Should I ask the repair shop to check that the fan works ok after the battery replacement ?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They could check that for you. You can check it yourself, if you have Techstream or some other scan tool with active test features, so that you can tell the car to run that fan.