1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Escalade hybrid to start at $71,685: Cadillac says more hybrids on the way

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Aug 10, 2008.

1. aliendroid

aliendroid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like GM's two-mode hybrid idea and the eflex system because of the ease with which you can become gasoline independent with a PHEV conversion.

I think GMs introduction of hybrids accross the entire car fleet starting with the largest fuel consumers is a good idea based on the fact that CAFE standards are pretty much going to be increasing from now on. They may only sell a few thousand per year now; however, my prediction is that within a decade a lot of the large vehicles from GM will be hybrid only models, so the best way to get the technology out and test it on the street is with small numbers. I can imagine in 10 years the options for the tahoe will be the standard two-mode hybrid if you want to guzzle gas or the eflex version if you want to be green. I'm pretty sure this is how they are going to keep selling large vehicles and meet CAFE in the future.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    GM and Toyota took very contrasting approaches on how to make profit on hybrids. GM started with the buses while Toyota started with Prius.

Toyota started to make profit more than 4 years ago. GM hasn't make profit yet? If not now then when?

3. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM might be making a per unit profit on the BAS hybrids it offers (but not the R&D due to the low volumes) but could not make a profit on its dual mode in its current form. As others have posted its scaled down from a city bus system and is very complex. Cost estimates are around $10,000 per unit cost for the dual mode.

The beauty of Toyota HSD in the Prius is that it reduces the overall complexity of the driveline. Sure there is an expensive battery but everything else gets cheaper as you make large quantities.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They don't actually have any plans compete with the likes of Prius or Camry-Hybrid. You've been greenwashed. The biggest part of the fleet doesn't have a substantial solution available...

- BAS is only a mild design, providing just basic assist abilities.

- E-Flex places heavy emphasis on a plug, with low regard to affordability.

- Two-Mode is intended for very large vehicles, not well suited for the ubiquitous 4-cylinder vehicles.

What will they offer as direct competition (family vehicle priced in the 20's) for the bulk of the population, those looking for something in the 40 to 50 MPG range?

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So far it looks like the hybrid Yukon.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ouch, that's about three times the cost of HSD. No wonder they had to share the cost and technology with Chryler and BMW.

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Watching GM these days is like watching an embarrassingly bad stand up comic, who clearly doesn't get it, re-hashing trite jokes and off color remarks.

8. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have to agree though think they still have a repairable situation they just never seem to do the right thing to fix it.

While others I know don't agree....

The Malibu hybrid is not as good as the Camry hybrid but its not so far off that its not fixable. Sure its a weak hybrid but it gives a large car quite respectable ratings and its cheap to build. But they cheaped it out just a bit too much. They used a 4 speed auto instead of a six. Now they have a six for the Malibu but yet they still build the BAS hybrid with 4 speed only. If they put the six speed in it, it could turn in the same highway rating as the Camry hybrid and still a respectable 25 epa city. Other tweaks could be aluminum hood and trunk and minor plastic changes for wind resistance.

But as GM has shown they cannot do anything right I am sure they don't tweak it to make it better.

The big dual modes should have been build with V6's. That would bring the cost down $2000 (which would make a difference on the Tahoe but not on the Sclade) and the epa ratings 1 or 2mpg more. Again, its not going to happen.

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    >> Options include four-wheel drive and power-actuated running boards.

If you need a ladder to get into it, maybe it is a BIT too big?

>> uses dual-mode hybrid technology and a cylinder shut-off feature to get 20 mpg in city driving and 21 mpg on the highway.

Hopefully the VCM will work this time. It was a POS the last time GM tried it.
    Given the current Escalade is rated at 12/19, 21 highway isn't a very impressive increase and is likely due almost entirely to the cylinder shut-off feature. I expect it will be a good part of the city increase as well. After all, it doesn't take 400+ HP to get from 0 - 35 MPH and hold it there even if it is a fat heavy pig.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    12 to 20 is pretty good for something that weighs that much.