1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ESG and PCV and Intake Manifold, oh my!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pk123, Aug 6, 2020.

1. pk123

pk123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 has 160k miles and has never had any of these parts serviced. How critical is it that I do so, and where should I start as a DIYer?

The ESG pipe looks like the easiest of these parts to access...Will cleaning that make a difference in isolation, or will it give me an indication of how dirty the broader system is? The engine isn't giving me any problems so far.

I recently had the engine coolant and inverter coolant changed, so I don't really want to drain them to get at some of the harder-to-access parts.

Thanks!

2. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's unfortunate that by cleaning the EGR pipe doesn't really help unless the whole system is cleaned.. should have clean it while change coolant, but you can drain some and filter back after cleaning..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Boffin

Boffin Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The EGR pipe is like the canary in the coal mine. It's pretty easy to get to (see the Nutz About Boltz video). If it's clogged, or even has more than just a superficial coating of carbon on it, you need to do the whole EGR cooler, new PCV valve, intake manifold, cleanup very soon. Your head gasket will thank you.