1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Essential accesories and a question about jerk while stopping

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by smile, Apr 18, 2013.

1. smile

smile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Finally got a Blizzard Pearl Prius v Two for 25, 500 + TTL. It's a long story which I'll post later. I have two questions.

1. Is there any accessory that in your opinion is essential?

2. When I apply the brake to completely stop the car, it stops but there is sort of a jerk like how it happens for any car when the ignition is switched off while on gear. Is this normal? I tried braking gradually and gently to make a smooth stop without a thud/jerk, but I'm not able to. Please note that this thud/jerk doesn't move the car forward. Just want to make sure nothing is faulty with my car.

2. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    #2 Doesn't seem normal. What's the rest of the story on this car?

3. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree, it doesn't seem normal. I've had my Prius for nine months now and don't recall my brakes ever jerking. Return it to the dealership and get it fixed.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. smile

smile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys. May be the words jerk and thud could be misleading. Here is a similar thread. My problem is exactly similar to what is being discussed

2005 Prius Brake inconsistency | PriusChat

May be I'll go to a dealer, test drive another car and see how that compares.

6. smile

smile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    BTW, I'll make my long story short about how I bought the car.I was looking for a Blizzard White Two model for a price between 26k and 26.3k. I knew that's not the best price but I was so tired of negotiating. I went through Costco to a local dealer. They offered me a 2012 model for 24k and a 2013 model which they said they will get from another dealer for 26.7k. I was not interested in 2012 model mainly because I knew it was in their lot for quite sometime, the resale value and the fact that there was no zero percent Toyota finance available for it (only 2013 models had it). This dealer was not very honest and they played all kinds of tricks to make me buy their 2012 model. They almost insulted me saying that I'm not a good decision maker etc :). And then when I shopped around with other local dealers there were not many blizz pearl cars. And the best price I could get was 26.9k. So I looked for dealers around 150 miles radius using google, autotrader and other websites. I also read their customer reviews but I couldn't still find anything worthwhile. Finally I tried cars.com and looked for cars around 500 miles radius. I found there were a couple available for 25.5k but they were 250 miles away. The customer reviews for that dealer were very good. I talked to them and the person I talked to was very honest and was upfront on everything. Finally I took the plunge, took a one way rental car, drove to that city outside my state and got the car.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Every Prius has a transition from Regenerative braking to Friction braking at about 7 mph while you are slowing down. Since our friction brakes are not used much (my 2004 Prius has 238k miles on the original brakes), the disk rotors tend to accumulate surface rust and then tend to get "grabby".

An easy solution is to drive 25-30 MPH on a deserted stretch of road. Put your Prius in Neutral to disable Regenerative braking and lightly apply the brakes. You will hear a scraping sound. Repeat the operation a few times and the scraping sound will diminish. Your brakes should then operate smoothly.

WARNING: your dealer will see rust on the edge of your rotors and may say that you need a >$500 brake job. You do NOT need one.

JeffD

8. smile

smile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Jeff. I saw your similar post in the other thread (link in my post above). Thanks for taking the time to post it again. I'll do that and let you know how it goes.

9. smile

smile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This jerk/jolt problem doesn't seem to be as pronounced as I felt earlier. Probably I was too tired after the 500 mile drive on the first day I bought this car and was not really braking gently. Or may be the car tuned itself well now. I tried Jeff's advice too anyway. But again everything seems to be fine. Love the car. It's my first new car after so many years. And the fact that I haven't filled the gas even after 300+ miles (still 4 pips left!), gives me so much relief!

10. robomoto

robomoto Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This brake jerk when stopping also happens in my 2010 prius and its a real pain since I do a lot of stop and go driving in the city. I wonder if the 4th gen solved this problem

11. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Realizing this is a resurrected 5-year-old thread, here's one more data point. We have never experienced any kind of brake jerk, thud, or "grabbiness" in either our 2014 v Five or our 2005 Gen 2 liftback. Both Prii are always parked outside on the driveway and we've never made any special effort to remove surface rust from the rotors by braking in neutral.

Our only complaint with braking (on both cars) is actually the opposite of the problem described here. When applying brakes while going over a bump, such as railroad tracks, the car often "surges" as if the brakes were momentarily disengaged (lots of threads on this common issue). Like most owners, we run the tire pressures a bit higher than Toyota's recommendation and we've never received a brake-related recall notice on either vehicle.

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No braking jerks in 52k miles in a 12k v. But the going over a speed bump surge I felt happen in a Lexus I was in yesterday and in my wife's Avalon all the time neither of which is remotely hybrid. Almost feels as if, when you are just over the bump, the engine disconnects and races, then settles down in a second. Prius not so.

13. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife has complained about a jerk in the car. Oddly enough, only when I'm present. o_O

Air_Boss likes this.
  14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's a theme...

15. robomoto

robomoto Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I solved problem #2 on my 2010 prius by upgrading the brakes to Akebono.