1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Estimated EV range degradation

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by crewdog, Mar 29, 2016.

1. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In my 2012 Pip, EV range over 4 years and 48k miles has gone from 13 to 10 miles, for about a 23% range decline.
    This is, for the most part, waiting 1 hour to charge after use, and, for the most part, waiting at least 1 hour after charge to drive again.

There have been times when outside temps have been pretty high that the battery cooling fan stays on after parking, and I try to leave it run for a minute or 2 before turning off the system.

So, my thought is that with pretty reasonable usage and care, can the range on the Prime be expected to decrease around 20% after 4 years?

I know every driver and every locale has differences, but I'm talking in general.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are you measuring ev range? not the dash gauge, i hope.

mine may have degraded a maximum of 10%, but it's very difficult to measure, especially without a series of repeatable tests being done when new.

3. crewdog

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I have been using the dash gauge, and while i know it's not completely accurate, as a general rule it's pretty close to what the odometer says as I pass certain mileage landmarks along my normal weekly routes, even taking into account traffic flow and regen.

I did reset the meter once by pulling the battery cables, and range went back to 13, and I got 13 miles, but only for 2 or 3 weeks then back to "normal".

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your confused about something, have you been reading andy's posts?:p

5. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where do you live? I'm measuring efficiency on a Spreadsheet also. So far I don't notice any degradation and I'm 25% EV.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why wouldn't you pull the battery cables every day to get maximum range?

Redpoint5, giora and bisco like this.
  7. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there some sort of mod where we can get 15-20 miles EV by denser batteries for the PiP? Can I turn it into a 5 seater Prime? :D

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is what andy does.

mmmodem likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Radio presets? Yet another chore to do in addition to plugging in?

Long term, this may not be good for the traction battery.
    As a hybrid, the pack has a buffer of unused, um, charge space to ensure battery longevity for the emission warranties. The ECU will go into the buffer somewhat to preserve EV range, but it will aim more for longer life.

By resetting the ECU everyday, it starts fresh and assumes the traction pack is new. So it provides the SOC range for full EV operation before it learns its mistake. Constantly tricking the ECU into going deeper into the buffer will lead to shorter battery life.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be shocked if there was any actually measurable battery degradation.

You may want to have the dealer check on the health of the batteries.
    Or, your driving patterns may simply require more energy, thus giving you a lower range.
    The car is "learning" your driving habits and adjusting the range estimate accordingly.

At least, that would be my guess.

Trollbait likes this.
  11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Trollbait, Bisco, and I agree that pulling the battery does not work because using the MFD to tell you EV distance is not precise.
    The three things you are doing may do nothing or give you worse EV distance.

1. Batteries don't like the cold. This is one of the reasons why BEVs have shorter range in the winter. The batteries get hot while charging. Don't worry, there's a fan. You should set a timer to have the charge finish right before you need it so the batteries are still warm and you get optimum range. Waiting an hour forces the battery to operate while cold for the first few minutes decreasing range.

2. Waiting an hour after use to charge does absolutely nothing. If the battery is too hot, there's a fan. If the battery is really really hot then you should use AC while driving so it doesn't get that hot.

3. Leaving the car running for 2 minutes for fans to shut off uses up the battery. Using the battery decreases its life. As said above, if temps get thatvhigh, use AC. Otherwise, you make things worse.

And finally, everything I've read so far on this forum says a PiP will have some 10% decrease in battery capacity over 4 years expressed in kWh.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think troll bait thinks it might cause the car to use more of the battery than planned, giving extra miles, but i'm not sure if this is an assumption based on other vehicles or toyota knowledge.

13. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More about battery degradation of the PiP can be found in:

Electric battery degradation | Page 6 | PriusChat

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think this is the correct answer. If the car gives a projected range, it will be just like the distance to empty estimate for the fuel tank. Based upon past driving patterns. Resetting the ECU wipe that data out from memory, leaving it using some default info to go off of.

Resetting the computer constantly can result in burning more gas. The ECU is likely programmed with the emission/fuel economy test blend for the default fuel maps. Gas station fuel is not test blend. ECU learns the best combustion parameters to use with the local gas for best efficiency and performance over time. That learned data is likely wiped when the battery is disconnected.

It was an assumption based upon would I knew of ECUs 'learning' and that being saved. Mods to increase power might do so at first on a modern car, but without a tune to reprogram the ECU, that ECU soon learns to adjust things with the mod on to get the engine back to factory spec.

But I had not considered Zythryn's, more likely, answer.

In regards to the battery being hot, Toyota has good history in hybrid battery management. If the battery was too hot for whatever reason, the PiP likely would simply not charge the pack until the temperature dropped. Plug in makers aren't using dumb chargers in their cars. Considering the chore:rolleyes: that plugging in is, they want to make the charging process as painless as possible for the owner.

mmmodem and Zythryn like this.
  15. crewdog

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting discussion, and food for thought.

I live in suburban Atlanta, terrain a lot of low rolling hills; some directions and route segments are great for regen, but the other direction uses that up coming up a hill.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to time when I'll need the vehicle as I don't have a set commute pattern every day, and some days vehicle usage is completely unplanned, but I can work on it.

I get what is said about the letting the cooling fan run; it's just a memory dna thing from riding in helicopters and having to let the engine idle for a few minutes after landing to let the oil temp cool down before shutting down. Anyway, that only happens maybe 2% of the total trips I've taken.

Vehicle is kept in enclosed garage that stays about 65 - 70f year round, and winter outside temps can get in the 30's for a few weeks. Any one have issues with successive days of 4000+ pollen count affecting performance? I'm beginning to wonder if the pollen affects coefficient of drag....(yes, i wash it more frequently in spring.)

So, upshot seems to be that my particular driving habits, terrain and climate may eventually cause a drop in EV range from posted spec?

(Actual results may vary)

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    3 years of driving the same commute, I didn't notice any change at all. The 4th year has been from a different house, one a little bit further away along a very hilly route. Still, no change. MPG is roughly the same as it has been since day 1. I've been tracking tank results on paper too, using spreadsheets to manually document gallons, kWh, and miles rather than just using the screen values.

I always wait a minimum of 90 minutes after EV drives before recharging, to allow the battery-pack to cold soak. I'll drive EV immediately after recharging.

I also discovered that firing up the engine right away in the winter (here in Minnesota) yields higher MPG overall for my 19-mile commute (each way). The reduced demand on the battery-pack in the meantime allows it to warm. The result is an improvement in electrical resistance, which is lowered due to the extreme cold. That provides a nice MPG bump.

17. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm going to do more rigorous tests...But it seems like being active on the HV/EV button really helps. IE, when you only need to "glide" and push EV a little, use EV (especially under 60 mph). Hills, etc, use EV - otherwise engine kicks on though it's not kicked on inefficiently.

18. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Were those the posts about PWR mode giving more EV range?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, i was referring to removing the neg cable to reset the system, which changes the icon to 13+ miles, but does not increase actual range, unless you buy troll baits theory.

20. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yup, that echoes my experience. I have a 2012, and I've beaten the heck out of the battery, on a hilly, high-speed, 9-mile commute that drains it in 20 minutes, 5 days a week, both directions. So, my range has gone from about 9 miles to about 7.6 in 4 years. i can no longer complete it on EV. The only other thing that's changed is that I replaced the OEM tires with Michelins, but i keep them at 40+ PSI.