1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Et tu, Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by samiam, Nov 5, 2007.

1. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Listener is one of the most-read magazines in NZ.
    This week's issue has an article subtitled:
    "Hybrid cars used to be trendy, but now it's hip to knock them. What's up?"

Partial text of the article:
    "Hybrids have taken a bit of a beating of late, but you can't blame the bloggers; the sight of Prince Charles wedging himself into a Prius just after sending the private jet back to Britain for Camilla's forgotten shoes is more than a greenie can take. The perversity of celebs such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz and Tom Hanks owning Toyota's greener-than-thou hybrid, while still indulging in lifestyles that produce more CO2 emissions than the whole of Mali, is the stuff of eco-farce."

"But Prius-knockers aren't all pimply photophobes called "Boolean Warrior". Earlier this year, a shadowy US entity calling itself CNW Marketing Research Inc whipped the motoring media into righteous fervour with the release of an "analysis" that rated the Hummer, GM's bloated SUV, as more environmentally friendly than a Prius."

The article goes on to do a pretty good job of setting the record straight, although it does allude to some whiney posts on consumer-type boards complaining that they can't achieve the 5.1 litres to 100 km economy (I routinely get 4.8). I'd give the article an overall grade of B+

The full text will be available at this link
    http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3522/colum...t_tu_prius.html
    on the 12th (after the next issue hits the newsstands) Sorry 'bout that.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks like I'll have to wait until 01 DEC to read the whole story (have to subscribe to read it now). :(

Sounds kinda like a retread of all the tired excuses that we've all heard a million times. Sam, what's your take on the article, since you've been able to read the entire thing?

3. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My heart sank as I read the opening paragraphs of the article, seeing them refer to the now-infamous CNW study. But then it quickly came right, the authors set the record straight about flaws in the study etc. From memory, they went on to say how the Prius appears to be taking an inordinate amount flack, but how the new technology was necessary/inevitable, and that markent leaders/changers always cop some abuse. They finished on a really good note overall, although they did mention that there were some posts on various consumer websites from new owners complaining that they can't get the mileage they think they should. All in all a pretty balanced article I thought, but I am totally biased.