1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ethanol Cure - Star Tron?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rpeeples, Feb 7, 2011.

1. scottalan

scottalan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For what it's worth, I have been using Ethanol in my cars for several years and I have not had any fuel related issues.

2. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I wish I could say the same, but ethanol has not been very nice to me. Maybe they use a better grade of it where you are???

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have been burning gasohol in Michigan for more than a decade. Other than a reduction in mileage, I've never had any trouble with it in my cars. I've had it damage small engines by eating the rubber parts, but these were old engines not designed for ethanol.

Tom

4. rpeeples

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just heard today from a friend who has a 2 year old Dodge Avenger that refuses to run right. Every mechanic who has looked at it points to ethanol as being the cause. Could it be that different locations translate "10% ethanol" into differing amounts? Some less and some far more?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You saw 'ethanol'
    I saw 'Dodge'.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any modern car is designed to tolerate at least 10% ethanol without problems. Something is wrong, but most likely the problem is with the mechanics. That, or maybe just the fact that it is a Dodge.

Tom

7. rpeeples

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I can't argue with you on the Dodge part. In years past, on TV shows and movies where they had car crash scenes, it seems that the cars being crashed were always Dodge's. Maybe since they were junk to begin with, it wouldn't matter so much if they were crashed...

8. Ilovechemicals

Ilovechemicals New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of these posts are pretty funny. Some of it is pretty foolish. I do like the gender comment from F8L the best, I think perhaps he had a chemistry class in high school, or has researched cures for hangovers. (alcohol dehydrogenase!) First, I've never posted on the numerous boating, camping, racing, etc. web sites where people make absurd comments about products or the chemistry, not because I don't have something to say, but I was prohibited by the company I worked for because it would open doors to pointless attacks by people that get off by pointlessly attacking companies. However, I'm pretty much retired now, and can do what I want. So first, StarTron was around years before ethanol hit the streets, and its predecessor, Soltron, has been selling steadily since 1998, so thinking it was just being marketed to take advantage of ethanol fears is wrong. Second, enzymes (as noted by one post) are not living organisms, however, all organisms produce them, so calling them "snake oil" isn't too far off, but its a bitch to get them thar snakes to sit still while you squeeze 'em. There are thousands of enzymes. Some make great degreasers and cleaners, Simple Green and many detergents like Tide use them to boost cleaning of protein stains. I sold enzymes in the 1980's to dissolve asphaltenes and tars in residual petroleum left over during production of fuel at refineries, and today, most refineries use live bugs that secrete enzymes to eat up the oil in their process water. Enzymes are called "bio-catalysts" and the first patent for a organism-derived fuel additive was in 1961, by Phillips Petroleum. Not exactly new. Now, Startron and Soltron are clearly different from most chemical additives, but where did this line of thinking come from that it would change, impact, effect, or neutralize ethanol in any way? It doesn't affect the ethanol. It affects water and petroleum hydrocarbons by reducing both surface tension and molecule size. That's what the company says. Startron affects the surface tension between water and fuel, allowing water to be reduced into really small drops. When the boat, car, lawn mower...is running, it vibrates and shakes and kicks up really small drops into the fuel where its burned off slowly and harmlessly. There is nothing magical or mysterious. Its just an enzyme-based surfactant. The difference between StarTron and a chemical detergent is that it doesn't bond to the water or the gas, which is called emulsification. That's what makes gas milky and hazy, which can be tough on fuel pumps. Smaller fuel drops means better oxygenation and better combustion, which is better fuel economy and less smoke. So, there you go. And its plant oil, not snake oil. Its not magic, but its really impressive. It been on the US market since 1998. Its become one of the best selling E10 additives in the country because it helps rid tanks of water, but if you were in a state that had car emissions testing like me (California, home of the environmentally insane government) and your car failed, and a bottle of Startron got it to pass in a couple of hours, you would feel a bit different about it. Today, cars are so efficient, smog testing is a joke, but water in your fuel injectors or in your two-stroker due to ethanol is not joke. Okay.....those of doubting nature....let me have it. I'm sure to regret posting. I'm hoping those smart enough to buy a Prius aren't as naturally vicious or dumb as those in the boating or RV industry.

1 person likes this.
  9. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ethanol wrecks havoc with various forms of rubber seals, hoses, gaskets, and in boats, delaminates fiberglass fuel tanks. It will destroy older engines. The farm lobby has just paid off the appropriate members of congress to up the amount allowed in gasoline to 15%. This is opposed by the Marine Manufacturer's Association, and Boat/US among others. It raises the cost of food, because the corn goes into the manufacture of ethanol, rather than feedstock. All in all, a very bad idea pushed through by lobbyists for agribusiness. It doesn't even reduce pollution.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ilovechemicals, try creating paragraphs if expect you people to read your post. Didn't you learn that in high school?

I'm giving you crap since decided to single me out. :p

I am fairly well versed on the negative issues associated with ethanol. I was asking why he was worried about it with regarding regards to his Prius.

11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two