1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ethanol-free gasoline?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Indyking, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Most gas stations around here have the sticker in the gas pump that says enriched with 10% ethanol. There is one gas station (speedway) near my house that does not have the sticker in the pumps or any sign indicating the presence of ethanol. I wonder if their gasoline is really ethanol-free or not. Are they just not reporting it? Is it mandatory to have ethanol added to gasoline everywhere, does anybody know? Their prices are similar to the other gas stations around and I would prefer use ethanol-free gasoline because it delivers better fuel efficiency.

Indy

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This varies by state. Indiana does not require labeling on pumps dispensing gasoline containing ethanol.

Tom

3. JRitt

JRitt Bio-Medical Equip. Tech

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get Ethanol free gasoline at small airports that sell mogas (not 100LL). Ethanol free gas is required by planes that use mogas. It sells for a preimum price (3.76/gal in Anderson IN)

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This can vary by county in some states as well. Once you're out of Maricopa county in AZ (where Phoenix is), ethanol free gas is much easier to find at regular prices as "reformulated" gasoline is not required there. In fact, they still use nozzles w/o vapor recovery mechanisms in those areas. :(