1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ethanol in fuel.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Britprius, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the UK we do not "at present" get E10 fuel as many do in the US. However many fuel stations are selling E5 without customers knowing. It is not a requirement under UK/EU law to notify customers about the ethanol content of fuel if it is below 5%.
    Test run by one of the large motoring magazines shows the Prius loses around 6.5% on economy at the E10 level.
    Virtually all Premium grade fuel is E5 apart from Total, and that is E0. Nearly all supper grades from any manufacturer are E0. E10 will be forced upon us around 2017.
    The figures for costs per mile are rather different to those in the US however. There is no difference in the price between E0 and E5 both being priced at an average of £1.28 per Ltr. This puts it at £5.82 per gallon or around 9.7 pence per mile based on 60 mpg. An increase in mpg of 6.5% gives an improvement of 3.9 mpg and brings costs down to 9.1 pence per mile.
    I suppose the point of all this is that even if we had to pay 5 pence per Ltr more for E0 fuel it would still be cheaper per mile.
    Using ethanol is being forced on us by an non elected body in Brussels that our government will not stand up to and are to scared to give us a vote on any matters to do with the EU knowing the way we feel about a large portion of EU legislation. Sorry getting a bit political there

John (Britprius)

#1 Britprius, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And now we have yet another useless thread about ethanol. :(

I find those results extremely hard to believe because scientifically an E10 mixture contains 3-4% less energy than E0.
    An E5 mixture should contain about 1.5% less energy.

Are you absolutely sure that the "large motoring magazine" isn't owned, subsidized or otherwise in the pocket of Big Oil ???

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If it was owned by "big oil" they would have said there was an improvement in fuel consumption because they make more profit from substituting ethanol for oil. The reason most of the manufacturers supply E5.
    The point I was trying to make is that in the UK even if E0 fuel was more expensive than E5 "within reason" per gallon E0 would still be cheaper per mile.

John (Britprius)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's all a scam, and someone is profiting by it. follow the money...

Chuck. likes this.
  5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Really....honestly ??
    Since when does any big oil company actually PRODUCE ethanol ??

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Vpower doesn't have it and doesn't cost that much more. Makes no difference to economy but my car runs smoother on it, especially at start up.

Don't worry about big oil, you're using less of their product. There are always choices too. I don't think 'big oil' is responsible for E10, more our illustrious unelected leaders in the EUSSR trying to justify their jobs.

7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Valero in the US makes ethanol, Sunoco in the US makes ethanol. By doing this they take those gallons out of the market and can turn a profit on both sides.

I just did a 600 mile plus trip in my '05 PRI purpose fully running e10 and I averaged 54.1 mpg (mfd) adjusted 50 mpg actual. Yes ethanol has less potential energy per unit vs E0 but the little PRI's ICE doesn't seem to mind. One of the reasons I bought a Prius was because of a big oil lobbyist who said in an interview everytime gas goes to $4.00 the consumers buys a Prius
    This was his lame half baked position for higher gas prices based on lower demand associated with greater fuel economy. What a tool.

8. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazing and sad how Ethanol, even only 5% ,gets blamed for everything from bad breath to flat tires, while the 90 or 95% that is gasoline is never questioned as to quality. Big oil's propaganda has worked well on the public mind.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am very interested in fuel issues, and thank you for giving us the latest on Ethanol from UK.

We have painfully little official data in the USA on impact of E10 ethanol on MPG for, say, a Prius.
    Nobody that I know (EPA/Consumer Reports) does any testing of the E10 impact on MPG.
    We are told to assume MPG on ethanol correlates directly to energy content (should be 3% less on E10).

As EasyRider said, the 6.5% MPG loss sounds too high for E5...but the non-ethanol portion (the gasoline) can vary in energy content too. So if they had the same base E0 gasoline sample and added 5% ethanol to that, that might be a valid test. In other words, without more details, it's hard to understand if the motoring magazine made a good test.

In the US, we have some reports from a few Prius owners that E0 gives better than 3% better MPG. If true, my explanation is the gasoline fraction also probably has more energy content in the E0. My understanding is that when EPA or other groups do MPG testing, the energy content of the gasoline is also measured and used to adjust the observed MPG to a standard energy content.

I'm ecstatic that the magazine did E5 ethanol tests on a Prius....any more details or LINK? That's what we do not have: any attempt in US to do that testing.

#9 wjtracy, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Robert Holt likes this.
  10. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What worries me most is the apparent link between ethanol use and premature catalytic converter failure. At least I think there is a connection. There are some threads that mention it anyway.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What about gummed up EGR valves? I'm wondering if it was why mine had to be replaced?

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most of the super grade fuels do not have ethanol apart from the south west (Devon Cornwall) and north east.
    The trouble with using the higher grade fuels is that they do not have as high calorific value as the lower grades, and using them also leads to lower MPG.
    There is a list of fuels with ethanol in the UK I will post a link when I can find it.

John (Britprius)

Links
    The new E10 fuel that will cost UK motorists more - What Car?
    www.nfahc.co.uk/pdf_files/ethanol/ethanol in petrol.pdf
    John (Britprius)

#12 Britprius, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  13. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the book, Alcohol can be a Gas, the history of ethanol as an automotive fuel is portrayed as an interesting one. Henry Ford built his first cars to run on ethanol, and farm-distilled alcohol was a reality at that time. But Oil (which soon became Big Oil) set it's sights on alcohol, and saw fit to eliminate it from the marketplace by bankrolling the Prohibition movement, which forced nearly everyone to switch to gasoline, which is a much dirtier and poorer-performing fuel. After Prohibition ended, governments continued to go after ethanol fuel with similar vigor.

Whether you believe in the conspiracy theories or not, the book is great fun to read.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a small number of vintage cars from the 50's and 60's. All of them would be damaged running anything other than E0. I have already paid out substantial sums to convert two of them to run on unleaded fuel and for the others leaded fuel is becoming very difficult to find. The cost to have them converted to run on fuel with ethanol would be very high as this would even involve changing the fuel tanks.
    The government does not make it a requirement for petrol companies to tell me if the fuel contains 5% ethanol. This is strange when even a meat pie has to have a list of it's contents on the packaging and its calorific value.
    Most of the companies, but not all will tell me if I ask the amount of ethanol in there product, but even then there fuel can vary by area making it difficult to travel from place to place. Generally the petrol station staff have no idea as to the content of the fuel they are serving. The UK is not like the US where different states have different rules and most states are bigger than the entire UK.
    I am not trying to make a political point or say that fuel with or without ethanol is bad, but I do believe when I fill up with fuel I have the right to know what I am putting in my tank, and make my own choice.

John (Britprius)

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you want it’s pretty easy to test if fuel has alcohol in it. You just put it into see-through container ad water mix it and wait for it to separate. Here all gas has at least 5% ethanol in it and most vintage cars don’t really have problems with it.

In modern normal fuel injected car ethanol should only change fuel consumption by how much fuel energy changes.

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Come on, what are they and where are the pictures? :)

Tony D likes this.
  17. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

As long as the alcohol Brit Prius has to deal with is Ethanol, the problems he fears may well be more fear mongering than reality.
    Gasoline with 10% Ethanol has been a reality in my part of America for more than 30 years. I deal with vintage engines from as far back as the 1920's and simply do not see any fuel system damage from 10% Ethanol, even in months long storage. The only problems have been a few boats with fiberglass gasoline tanks or a very few pre 1040's carburetors that use a varnish coated cork float . Some types of fiberglass or varnish will melt when exposed to Ethanol, but your typical un coated mild steel, fuel tank and other metal fuel system parts just do not see any measurable damage with 10% Ethanol fuel.
    If by chance someone is sneaking cheaper to buy Methanol alcohol to blend with gasoline, then yes, Methanol is quite corrosive, but with any kind of normal fuel supply tank sanitation, Ethanol has not proven harmful to vintage fuel systems.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ethanol is corrosive and destroys rubber hoses, steel fuel tanks, pipe lines, and diaphragms uses in older cars. It also causes an galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals brass and aluminium causing problems in fuel pumps and carburetors. Even aluminium pistons are at risk. Anything that decays in the fuel path will travel through the entire engine system. The original VW Beetle proved this running on fuel with ethanol. I am not prepared to risk vehicles put in my trust worth hundreds of thousands of $ testing them on even E5 when I go to great lengths to get leaded fuel for the unconverted ones.

John (Britprius)

19. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

As long as the alcohol Brit Prius has to deal with is Ethanol, the problems he fears may well be more fear mongering than reality.
    Gasoline with 10% Ethanol has been a reality in my part of America for more than 30 years. I deal with vintage engines from as far back as the 1920's and simply do not see any fuel system damage from 10% Ethanol, even in months long storage. The only problems have been a few boats with fiberglass gasoline tanks or a very few pre 1040's carburetors that use a varnish coated cork float . Some types of fiberglass or varnish will melt when exposed to Ethanol, but your typical un coated mild steel, fuel tank and other metal fuel system parts just do not see any measurable damage with 10% Ethanol fuel.
    If by chance someone is sneaking cheaper to buy Methanol alcohol to blend with gasoline, then yes, Methanol is quite corrosive, but with any kind of normal fuel supply tank sanitation, Ethanol has not proven harmful to vintage fuel systems.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I gave details of the vehicles here on PC a couple of years ago, but for your information I will list them and follow with pictures. All are original family owned vehicles that I am lucky enough to hold in trust. They do not belong to me they belong to the family. They are not for sale!

Austin Somerset, the first ever new car in the family. Converted for unleaded.
    Austin Healey 3000 MK3
    MGBGT pre production model. Converted for unleaded
    E type Jaguar Series 1

John (Britprius)

#20 Britprius, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014