1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ethanol in fuel.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Britprius, Oct 14, 2014.

1. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It doesn't work for me. My point was that it's never about maximizing one factor with total disregard to all the others.

2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ALASKA and Yukon sell E0 (and non-re formulated gas in the summertime, I think). Compared to Lower 48 E10 (reformulated for much of the drive East of the Mississippi), I observed about a 5mpg or 10% increase in gas mileage on our trip last summer. Also wish we had data from controlled tests on this, particularly separating the RFG versus non-RFG factor from the E10 versus E0 factor. Couldn't we use a calorimeter to do this, folks?

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    from what I've read about drag cars running nitro, they don't even use head gaskets (or didn't used to) cause the nitro would eat through during the run. I did see a picture from one race where the crank and rods had blown out the bottom and bounced about 100 yards high-- you could see the rotating assembly way up in the corner of the photo of the car, which was engulfed in flames. kinda wild going over 300 mph within 1320'. I imagine it would blow that little 1.5L to bits.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Robert that is exactly what I would expect 10% difference between our stuff E10 RFG (low energy) and the highest energy E0 non-RFG. I think EPA often just uses density to make the adjustment, but a calorimeter would do nicely. In the years past EPA has quoted about 7% density difference in the nations fuel system, but I don't know if that still valid. But add 7+3% for ethanol and you get 10% possible variation. That's my number and I'm sticking to it.

Robert Holt likes this.