1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured EU to investigate 'flood' of Chinese electric cars, weigh tariffs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Isaac Zachary, Sep 14, 2023.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How to Stop Blaming Others, and Be Free and Powerful! | Psychology Today

"While it’s certainly true that life presents many difficulties, and undeniable the pain and suffering they often cause, to blame others as the reason for one’s unhappiness is to cast oneself in the role of the victim.

There are illusory advantages to victimhood, as finger-pointing provides convenient justification for life’s unsatisfactory conditions, and sheds the work necessary to take complete charge of one’s own life and well-being.

However, habitual blaming over time perpetuates bitterness, resentment, and powerlessness, as the victim suffers from what H.D. Thoreau calls “quiet desperation.”"

Why happiness is a choice (and 8 ways you can choose it today) | happiness.com

#21 John321, Sep 16, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    AndersOne likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So... you have two pizzas? Gotta admit, coming from a one-pizza family it is hard not to be jealous...

(there may have been some cheerful sarcasm used in this post- a great pizza topping!)

PriusCamper and Isaac Zachary like this.
  3. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pizza is a wonderful food.

In an effort to eat more healthy and cut out sodium and sugar have begun making pizza from scratch. I do buy the cheese from the grocery, but it is low fat mozzarella cheese. The toppings are regular banana peppers, hot banana peppers, green peppers all home grown from the garden.

If my nutritional analysis is right it works out to less than 800 mg of sodium for a complete pizza - add no salt to the homemade sauce so cheese is the only source of salt . The peppers add plenty of flavor to the pizza.

Off topic but I couldn't resist -sorry.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good hack, worthy o/t diversion. We do our own from scratch as well. I include salt in the dough for the crust as it really does make the right impact on the final crust, but the amounts are pretty small. No salt or sugar in our homemade sauce.

We also top ours with peppers from our garden, and we have our own oregano and basil too. We do buy a few bits, no pepperoni tree.

One bit I recently discovered: mozzarella cheese bought in shredded form has been coated in cellulose powder: food grade sawdust. This is done to keep the cheese from clumping and sticking to itself during distribution. However, it knocks the nutritional numbers enough that diabetics need to account for it.

I figure I don't need it either. So now I buy the mozz in blocks and shred it myself.

We cut a huge amount of sugar and salt out of our diets just by eliminating storebought sliced bread. We still buy some bread products, just not any kind of "sliced sandwich bread" because it's all ridiculously sugary.

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 12.56.11 PM.png

5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That pizza looks delicious.

You seem to be knowledgeable about foods and I have a question -

Is there such a thing a no salt cheese?

I have heard block mozzarella cheese has less sodium content and your comments reminded me to check the label on the mozzarella block cheese at the supermarket for its nutritional content.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Can't say I know of any with none at all.

Whole-milk mozzarella, Swiss, emmental and jarlsberg are all very low sodium cheeses that come to mind.

Lowfat mozz has more sodium than full fat- so pick your poison.

Be aware that any "conveniently packaged" form of cheese is likely to have some bonus sodium to improve shelf life. So if it is already sliced, shredded, or packaged in single servings, there's a good bet that it was formulated with extra sodium from the get-go.

When you buy a wheel, wedge or block, the physical structure of the cheese (the rind, really) is doing the preservation work and you don't need the bonus salt for shelf life- only the original amount needed within the cheesemaking process.

#26 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Sep 16, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    John321 likes this.
  7. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Chinese government has been subsidizing the manufacturing of electric vehicles. As a result, more people are making home made pizza. :ROFLMAO:

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem for legacy car makers is that they thought they could emulate Tesla, leveraging expensive models while trying to streamline manufacturing and supply chains.

but that ship has sailed. We’re entering the next phase of product lifecycle. Low cost ev’s will be the next jump in product acceptance.
    And if Biden has his way, they’ll need more American factories.
    Tesla’s lead is increasing instead of decreasing

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent analysis... It's always great when you write longer stuff rather than being too brief. I hope you do that more often!

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It hurts my fingers :cool:

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A comedian once did a routine about how sex is a lot like pizza. As in, when its good, it's really good. But when it's bad, it's still pretty good. :)

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's the main reason GM decided to bring back the Bolt, eventually. It is selling like hotcakes, so why kill it.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agreed. The only question is profitability

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a picture of our homemade pizza - it is a thin crust. I have had trouble with pizzas relasing from the pizz stone cleanly so I do use parchment paper under the pizza

Homemade pizza.jpg

Tideland Prius and Isaac Zachary like this.
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I use parchment for some of mine, it really does help. Sometimes I can get away with a dusting of cornmeal to keep the crust from sticking, but if I am experimenting with unfamiliar dough recipes the paper is a great insurance policy.

It can be hard to get a thin crust to bake properly but not burn. I use a little outdoor woodburner and run it up to about 750-800°F, so the pie bakes in 90-120 seconds and the thin crust still blows up puffy at the edge. When I bake an identical pie on a stone in the oven in the kitchen, I can't really go above 550, it takes 8-10 minutes and the bake isn't as even.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'eu investigating flood of chinese pizza, exploring tariffs'

18. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you hit it on the head.

Of course this is going political again, but I forsee the legacy auto makers heavily lobbying to keep ICE vehicles relevant as they fail to make EV's profitable.

The other side of the coin is if the general public will keep swinging towards EV's. If EV's are still out of reach of the masses by the time they are the only thing legally allowed to be manufactured, you're going to have a lot of people rioting with the legacy auto makers on their side, unless we can either make EV's that are within reach of the general public or make public transportation plentiful and cool.

Also, the better EV's become with range and charging times, the less people have to be worried that they're not as good as ICEV's. Somewhere along the line there is a theoreticaly tipping point. We haven't quite made it there yet. EV's that are $25,000 and up (or hopefully $20,000 and up, or better yet $15,000 and up), with or without an incentive (unless the incentive is universal, regardless of income), that have very quick and plentiful charging, and some 300 miles or so of range could convince the general population to buy one.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's going to be a slow transition, much like the last ten years or so. the various government dates will probably change as we approach them, and there's the problem of different administrations to contend with.