1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Europe’s New C-HR will include a PHEV

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, Dec 5, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota C-HR prologue: the bold becomes bolder

They call it the C-HR Prologue but now includes a plug-in version as well as the hybrid version. Anybody wanna bet it’ll have the Prius Prime drive train plus maybe an AWD version? And maybe a prologue of what to come for us? Sorry couldn’t help myself.

Not to be outdone by our dual color versions of everything, they are also introducing a tri-color version. Not too many gory details but then it is a concept, but they are going for European produced batteries for the Plug-in. BTW the current C-HR is produced in Turkey for those who don’t know.

iPad ? Pro

Merkey, john1701a and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    " the Bold becomes bolder." if Bolder means "I can't see much out of the blind spots" ..... then the concept is definitely bolder. for some reason cool styling doesn't seem to carry over well towards outward visibility. Beyond the styling/shape - a nice long distance EV range could be a really good offset against outward visibility.

#2 hill, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    drash and Merkey like this.
  3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the digital rearview mirror is available, and I assume it will be, that would probably be on every time I got in the car. :LOL: Looks like Europe eliminated the outside rearview mirrors in place of digital ones. That'll help them if they can get a wide angle camera.

Apparently bestcarweb.jp agrees with some of my assumptions:
    新型C-HR発表! ハンマーヘッドに3色ボディカラーが凄すぎるカッコよさ! 日本発売は2023年夏頃か - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

Partial translation:
    "What will happen to the powertrain?
    [​IMG]
    Expected to be equipped with the same powertrain as the new Prius
     Toyota Europe's materials clearly stated that it would develop two powertrains, a hybrid and a PHEV, in the European market.

Three types of powertrains are expected to be installed. It will be a 1.8L hybrid (engine 98ps/14.5kgm + motor 95ps/18.9kgm), a 2L hybrid (engine 152ps/19.2kgm + motor 113ps/21.0kg), and a 2L PHEV. Perhaps the lineup will also include an E-FOUR that drives the rear wheels with a motor (the specs are not announced, but the new Prius).

The body size of the current C-HR is 4390mm in length, 1795mm in width and 1550mm in height, but the new C-HR is expected to be slightly larger, 4500mm in length x 1800mm in width x 1570mm in height.

The new C-HR is expected to go on sale in Japan in the summer of 2023 according to the latest information. I want to wait and wait to see if it will surprise me more than the current model."

Maybe in Japan, they might get the 1.8L, but not in the US.
    Dimension conversion in inches:
    4500mm (177.2 in.) in length x 1800mm (70.9 in.) in width x 1570mm (61.8 in.) in height
    Although the mini ute has grown a little, the new C-HR will still be much smaller than the RAV4 and about the same size as the UXh. While still shorter than the new 2023 Prius and Prius Prime, hopefully the extra 6 inches in length will help with the cargo space which is less than the current Prius Prime and wheelbase which is tied for the shortest in Toyota's lineup.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What's the plan for the forward side blind spots created by the A-pillars? I've had those block site of pedestrians, bikers, and even a whole car once in the 2005 Prius.

5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These don't really look bad but I'd definitely have to look from the inside.

500_topsidefullview-high-3.jpg

It's the C-Pillars I'd be a little leery of.

500_rearfullview-high-2.jpg

Not really into the true two door coupe style either.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I didn't think the A pillars were bad in the Prius until a near miss. Raked windshields make the impact of thickness worse.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Many cars have traffic avoidance now. Perhaps dual side cameras like the teslas?

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are just an aid. A potentially effective one. Back up cameras are also an aid. One that seems to have given designers an excuse to give less consideration to visibility out of the back window.

Someone was testing a system to displayed what the side cameras saw right on the A pillars. Making them virtually clear to the driver.

9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car--moby-jp website looked at the rear of the C-HR Prologue and sure enough there is a gap for the door. I didn't look close enough on the picts I posted which also shows a gap for a rear door. We're looking at the hybrid (HEV) version because there is no charge door on the passenger side. There also is no door handle, even recessed and although the car--moby-jp website suggests there might be a button by the taillight, my thoughts are it might be a clamshell rear-hinged door (aka suicide door) like those found on the BMW i3 and my Toyota Tacoma Access cab.

Here's the partial translation:
    "Couper look stronger Can you open the rear door at first glance?
    [​IMG]
    Toyota C-HR Prologue
    The C-HR uses a pillar-mounted door handle that is embedded in the pillar for getting into the rear seat. By arranging the door handles so that they are hidden, it creates a stylish coupe -like design, a design method favored by European manufacturers.

At first glance, the C-HR Prologue looks like a 3-door car without a rear door, but if you look closely, you can see the gap between the rear door and the body on the rear fender and C-pillar, and it is a 5- door . I understand. However, while the C-HR had a door handle on the C-pillar, the C-HR Prologue seems to have none.

Since there is a small recess in the corner of the tail lamp, it is thought that a button for opening the door is installed in this, but in any case, the rear seat door handle is even more difficult to understand than the previous C- HR. I'm here."

Apparently they are not a fan of the C-HR rear door handle. :LOL:

I can say this though, if they do use the 2023 Prius drivetrain, they'll probably get about mid 40's in gas mileage for the hybrid and mid 30's AER for the PHEV version. The current European 2.0L Hybrid C-HR weighs about 64.4 kg (142 lbs) more than the current Prius i-AWD, 1,525 kg (3362 lbs) versus 1,461 kg (3220 lbs). The current European 2.0L Hybrid C-HR also stands a littler higher and wider.

トヨタが新型『C-HR』予告!新世代デザイン採用しPHEVも展開、後席ドアどこ? | ページ 2 / 2 | MOBY [モビー]

10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to MotorTrend, 2022 will be the last model year for the C-HR in the US. The hot new 2023 C-HR will be a European model only, so far. The upcoming Corolla Cross Hybrid is supposed to take it's place.

This Is the Toyota C-HR's Final Model Year In the U.S.

There were rumors they may expand the Prius family in the North American market to include a possible Prius v (or is it V) model as a crossover. They were merely mentions in snippets of info here and there. Probably waiting to see what the uptake is on the Corolla Cross Hybrid and the two Prius models before making any moves.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They now have spy shots, but there is some disagreement as to whether it is the new C-HR or the Compact EV. Motor 1 website says it is the new bZ Compact EV but as the Spyder7 website pointed out it has a gas cap and what looks like exhaust port under the right hand side of the bumper. I'd have to agree with the Spyder 7 website that it the new C-HR because why would they camouflage it after they showed the bZ Compact EV off in LA?

Spyder7 article:
    https://spyder7.com/article/2023/01/05/17170.html

Partial translation:
    "The C-HR will be released in 2016 as a global strategic model, and it seems that it is about time for a full model change. In December last year, Toyota's European division unveiled the concept car "C-HR Prologue." It also suggests that hybrid (HEV) and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) will be available.

According to the information until then, the "bZ compact SUV concept" that Toyota unveiled at the Los Angeles Motor Show in November 2022 was seen as the successor model to the C-HR, but the C-HR prologue and the prototype scooped this time is likely to be a model that follows the flow of the "Small SUEV" released in December 2021.

[​IMG]
    There are two prototypes captured this time, both of which are heavily camouflaged. However, the outline of the headlight, which incorporates Toyota's new design "hammerhead", which was also adopted in the new "Prius", is visible. The shape of the upper-mounted LED rear combination lamp also looks good as it is the concept. In addition, the sharp body panels and coupe-like silhouette seen in the C-HR Prologue and small SUEV are still alive, and it seems that it will appear as a crossover SUV that emphasizes a more urban and fairly compact design.

The prototype front mask with the number "1145" has a closed grille reminiscent of the full electric model. On the other hand, the other can be seen with a honeycomb mesh pattern grill that is different from the concept model. Also, you can see something like an exhaust port on the right side of the rear bumper, which suggests that it is an ICE (internal combustion engine).

[​IMG]
    There are no images of the cabin, but a photographer said it had two separate displays. Unlike BMW, which combines dual screens into one unit, and high-end brands such as Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota-like layout is expected."

The Motor 1 website article:
    Toyota Small SU EV Spy Photos Show Production Version Of 2021 Concept

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carscoops has further info on Europe's new C-HR along with spy shots. As can be seen it is almost a fully developed car with some deviation from the current C-HR and Prologue concept.
    2024 Toyota C-HR Reveals More Of Its Edgy Styling And Interior In New Spy Shots | Carscoops

C-HRSpyShot2.jpg

This is a compilation of pre-production on the left compared to the C-HR Prologue concept on the right. It kind of looks like a squished bZ4X from the side with a little Prius look on the front end. The rear doors are clearly defined and have real door handles instead of mounted in the C-pillar like the current C-HR (and Prius). This is a picture of the hybrid and not the PHEV version. It clearly shows the fuel door and the other side shots show no charging door on the passenger side.
    C-HRSpyShot3.jpg

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    World Premiere of the C-HR - for Europe only
    World premiere of the all-new Toyota C-HR

Four "electrified" versions of the C-HR will be available:
    • 1.8L HEV
    • 2.0L HEV
    • 2.0L HEV AWD-i
    • 2.0L PHEV
    Except for the 1.8L, the powertrains read like the 2023 Prius powertrains. Instead of C-HR Prime, Europe gets C-HR PHV. No gas-only version is available. Other than the engine sizes, no other details are available, but chances are it'll mimic the Prius lineup.
    500_chr-pre-launch-shot11-withouttalent.jpg
    And of course they get a yellow, called Sulphur in their High Premiere Edition. It even has the Prius type front end.
    500_chr-pre-launch-shot03.jpg
    High loading deck like the original C-HR.
    500_chr-pre-launch-shot02.jpg
    For perspective and you can see the 4 door handles on the sides better in this color. They are flush mounted (Toyota first) electronic door handles to help with the Safe Exit Assist. You can also see the GR Sport logo just to the right of the front license plate mount on this model. One of their two upper trims including the High Premiere Edition. Looks like a squished bZ4X.
    500_chr-pre-launch-shot39.jpg
    Unlike the Prius, the fixed panoramic roof has no sunshade. Toyota put in low-emissive and infra-red reducing coatings. Probably not compatible with North American glass safety standards. The bumpers are also different in that they are formed from a special new resin that makes them solid colored. Also unlike the Prius it has a standard MID instead of the floating one, so it can offer a true HUD. Instead of the single color blue or red ambient lighting, the C-HR will offer 64 different colors.

14. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    https://newsroom.toyota.eu/download/9ca7710f-0d6e-4519-8fc8-e696f47e2ee3/specificationsheet-toyotac-hrwp.pdf

Specs for the new European only C-HR using the 2.0L engine are the same as the 2023 Prius and Prius Prime. Here's a highlight of comparison European specs for the 2023 C-HR PHV, the European 2023 Prius PHV, and 2023 Prius Prime:
    Vehicle WLTP Combined EV Range - km WLTP Combine EV Range - miles Prime EPA - km Prime EPA - miles
    1 C-HR PHV 66 41 N/A N/A
    2 Prius PHV 17" Wheels 86 53.4 71 44
    3 Prius PHV 19" Wheels 72 44.7 63 39

No weight or cargo space specs yet for the new C-HR or else they'd be compared in the table. Europe also offers a 1.8L version of the FWD C-HR hybrid. Unusual is the 1.8L and 2.0L FWD C-HR hybrid fuel consumption are identical at WLTP Combined 4.6 - 5.0L/100km (51 - 47 mpg). This is even though the press release says the 1.8L is "focused on eco performance". The 1.8L does have marginally better C02 (difference of 4g/km) at the higher fuel economy rating.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s too bad. That would’ve taken the CH-R from worse fuel economy in its class to top of the class if it was sold here. Guess they didn’t want to overlap with the Prius?

hill likes this.
  16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is odd since the C-HR PHV will overlap with the only Prius sold in Europe which is the Prius Prime (or PHV as its known there). Its probably not coming here until it fulfills European requirements for a lifted Prius size PHEV. Since it won't get a tariff like the Prius Prime because it's made in Europe it may end up being cheaper than the Prius Prime and probably too popular to export. First time making a PHEV in Europe might be making Toyota hesitant about selling it world wide just yet. It has always been made in Turkey, so it might end up here yet after Toyota gets some real user and reliability data. Even Japan is griping they won't get the new C-HR.

そ、そんなバカな……新型C-HR国内導入はなし!? ならば乗り換えるならLBXってマジ!? - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

Partial translation:
    " It is quite clear that the new C-HR will not be introduced in Japan. Those who are considering changing trains should be very troubled. Apparently, the new LBX will be a substantial successor model. If so, is the LBX really affordable?!"

17. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    This video is from a spanish reviewer, the new CH-R is basically an SUV 5th gen Prius, same look and same specs, I really like it tbh, if both models were to come to my country I think I would go for the CH-R

Tideland Prius and drash like this.
  18. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the only Prius that is coming to Europe is the Plug-in, Prius PHV, so your decision would be between the C-HR PHV and the Prius PHV. Lucky you, I'd probably go with the C-HR myself.

19. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm from South America, we had here several hybrids at the same time in the past (Prius, Prius C, Corolla Cross, CH-R and Corollas) but still no news about the new gens.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe be a little more specific? At last count - there were what, a dozen countries or so in South America? Things may be different from one country to potentially a couple thousand miles away - yet on the same continent. iduno, maybe not ?