1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

European Anti-Semitism - Alive and Well?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, May 14, 2007.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good find... I wonder if there's a site listing race or religious related hatred - against Blacks, Hispanics, whites, Christians, Muslims, etc... I bet you could pretty easily find as many similar actions against any of these groups. The only difference is the holocaust - everyone's afraid of anti-semitism, which blows those incidents out of proportion.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 16 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]443219[/snapback]</div>
    explain please?

4. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Simple... Someone paints on the wall of a building something derogatory like "go home spics" and people might think thats not very nice, but it doesn't make the news. The next day, someone paints a swastika on the side of another building, and it makes the news, people talking about neo-nazi groups, etc, just because there was a horrible incident in the somewhat recent past of persecution against the Jews in Europe.

you can have two virtually identical incidents of racism or bigotry, and they'll be treated completely differently by the public and the news agencies based solely on something that happened 60+ years ago.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 16 2007, 08:02 AM) [snapback]443331[/snapback]</div>
    Are you dismissing the assembly line industrialized murder of 12 million people, six million of them just happened to be Jewish, as merely "something that happened 60+ years ago"?

I am afraid that you have not learned from the bitter lessons of history.

Never again.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 19 2007, 06:03 PM) [snapback]445864[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't war also industrialezed murder?

7. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 19 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]445945[/snapback]</div>
    I really cannot tell whether this comment is plain ignorant or intended to be offensive.

Let me start by saying that some wars are immoral.

There is no comparison between the deaths of soldiers with the resulting collateral casualties to the civilian population and the targeted, deliberate and intentional mass killing of millions of men and women, young and old, children and adults, teens and babies in gas chambers followed by their cremation in ovens that were burning 24/7.

Please take a look at these Wikipedia® and Jewish Virtual Library articles before responding any further.

8. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 19 2007, 06:03 PM) [snapback]445864[/snapback]</div>
    Eagle's point is still valid. A past wrong, no matter how atrocious (and I don't think he was dismissing it) should not make one group more protected than another. The media and people in general should call out discrimination and violence wherever it happens, to whomever it happens. Anti-Semitism isn't somehow magically more evil than other forms of racism or religious hatred.

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 20 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]446141[/snapback]</div>
    Aren't the civilian targeting such as the fire bombings of Dresden, the rape of Nangking, the atomic destruction of Nagasaki/Hiroshima, the virtual extinction of all native americans, the massacre of million armenians forms of industrialized murder? They aren't the automated factory killings unique to the Holocaust, but industrialized technology has created highly efficient manners of killing within the last couple centuries. And though the examples I cited were during war, the victims certainly weren't soldiers trying to actively kill the adversaries' soldiers.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Click once on the comic strip and then again to zoom the image to a readable size.

<div align="center">[attachmentid=8190]</div>

Attached Files:

11. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ May 21 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]446475[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Tyrin. I didn't in any way mean to dismiss or diminish the Holocaust. It was a huge atrocity, and should be remembered and learned from.

The question is, what lesson are you learning? Are you learning that persecuting Jews based on their faith is bad? Or rather are you learning that persecution based on differences (race, religion, sex, etc) is bad?

All i'm saying is don't treat Jewish hatred and persecution any different than hatred and persecution of other groups, or we might find in the future that, while the Jews are safe, some madman somewhere starts exterminating another group, and we start calling it the second holocaust.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 21 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]446663[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent point. I too am looking forward to the day "the Jews are safe..." save for the extermination part.

I do not think there will be a day in my lifetime where the Jews will be safe from hatred and/or persecution. They[Israel] are a small island surrounded by a sea of hundreds of millions of people who want them washed away and for the most part neglect their own people, their own children [sending them on suicide/homocide bombing missions is child abuse at the lease], their future in this pursuit.

Witness Sderot - Israel gave back the Gaza Strip in 2005 and in the last several weeks hundreds of rockets have been fired into Israel from Gaza - why? And now the usual escalation will happen - now that they hit a school and killed a young woman yesterday. Why do they kidnap Israeli soldiers? Why do they use Mickey Mouse to teach their children hate and to kill the Jews? With BILLIONS of foreign dollars pouring into the PA every year - why cant they build a society dedicated to doing good and living in peace? I cannot recall the last peace initiative from the PA - can you? Arafat turned down a sweet deal for what - an intifada!

So excuse my doubts - i think the world needs to hate the Jews and persecute them/us. what better focal point than a small population of people who have been targeted for the past several thousand years?

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, could you try, for one second, to separate Jews and Israel? I realize that Israel was founded as a Jewish state and all that... But conflicts Israel is involved in do not necissarily mean "the world needs to hate Jews".

As we've shown in this thread, there isn't really any more hatred for Jews in Europe or America than there are for other racial, ethnic, or religious groups. If you want to talk about Israel, do so under a heading of Israel, not a heading of anti-semitism.

the fact is, i don't think anyone on this board is from that particular area. None of u, not even you, can accurately comment on whats going on there, why they feel this way towards each other, etc. All we know is what the media shows us.

14. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a doctor, don't you have doctor friends that could surgically repair the giant chip on your shoulder? Do you really feel persecuted as a Jew in America? As stated by Eagle, if you want to complain about Isreal getting persecuted and threatened by their neighbors, fine. That is a legitimate topic. But that's entirely different than worldwide anti-semitism. Nobody here cares that you are a jew, or that another poster is a mormon, athiest, or (insert religious view here).

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 22 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]447328[/snapback]</div>
    Impossible to separate Jews and Israel since as you so accurately note it was founded by the UN as a Jewish State - how do you separate them? Interestingly enough, our enemies do NOT separate the two. They don't say we need to wipe Israel off the map and we will keep the Jews there to live - do they?

Tell me, why did Europe throw a higher % of Jews into the ovens and gas chambers than any other group? Perhaps you could point to some other nazi artifact that was similar to their Yellow Star of David they forced Jews to wear? Name another religion that had its Holy Book destroyed. Your simple statement about showing on this BB ...... is humorous at best.

And i will not always draw a line between those who hate israel or their policies or positions from anti-semitism because at times they are connected.

tell me - why has the UN spent over 40% of its resolutions directed at Israel when they make up 1% of the worlds population at most?? anti israel bias or anti-semetism or both??

And i am now assuming that you cannot comment on the Iraq war since you do not live there? All we know is what the medica shows us?? Brilliant!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 22 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]447332[/snapback]</div>
    I do not feel persecuted as an American Jew - like Jews in Germany probably felt prior to the 1930's. I realize things could change on a dime - here or anywhere. There are lots of people that would love to do a Holocaust ver 2.0 - even the guy in Iran - like that segway? But he calls for israel's destruction because he hates israel, not Jews - right? he cant be an anti-semite could he??

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Dude, take a moment and chill. realize that you've pretty much lost the argument you were trying to make with this thread, and have instead tried to revive it by taking us in a completely different direction.

Talking about the holocaust in Europe really does absolutely nothing to show the amount of anti-semitism there today... That happened 60 years ago. Yes, it was horrible, and as i've said before i'm not trying to dismiss it, but honestly... The number of people alive today that were around and capable of making decision to help or attack the Jews (lets say people 18+) are pretty small and getting smaller every day. Quit blaming everyone in Europe for something that their parents or grandparents went though.

Those in the middle east going against Israel do, in my opinion, have a somewhat decent reason to feel some level of enmity to those people who, in their eyes, migrated to the area and stole their land, etc. I'm not by any means saying thats what happened or that i support their views, however understand that it is their views. It's entirely possible that when they say stuff against Jews, their intention is Jews in Israel, not the rest of the world... We don't now because we aren't there. It's impossible for us to judge who their feelings are directed against, which was the point of my statement.

Where do you pull this 40% number from? care to share your source? A few google searches show NOTHING similar to that except for a few lists of UN resolutions that Israel hasn't complied with...

Oh wait, isn't that the reason we invaded Iraq? they didn't comply with the UN resolutions and were suspected of having WMDs! Sounds a lot like Israel...

Finally, while we may not be in the area, it is entirely our place to comment and protest a war our country is involved in. If you can't see the difference....

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 22 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]447492[/snapback]</div>
    judge and jury - a truly liberal mind you have.

what UN resolutions did Israel not comply with?

you can protest any way you want to - but since you are not there you by your own admission have no knowledge of what is really going on there - so your protesting is subjective not objective.

last thing - the lebanese are currently blowig to hell a palestinian refugee camp - shelling it, etc. any thoughts or complaints? if that were israel doing the same thing - would you be objecting or perhaps even protesting?

18. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's amazing how your neo-con mind lumps things together... I'm not by any means protesting against Israel... i'm protesting, my dear doctor, against your feeble attempts at an argument. I haven't even heard of this Palestinian refugee camp, so i can't comment on it. sorry to disappoint.

There's a big difference between protesting against actions our troops are taking (which i'm not) and protesting against national policy (which i am). It's true, i don't know the day to day happenings in Iraq. however i do know the stated, faulty reasons we went there, and the consequences. Try to keep things straight instead of blurring the lines between what i am and am not talking about.

as for judge and jury... what are you talking about?

UN resolutions that Israel hasn't complied with: 106, 11, 127, 162, 171, 228, 237, 248, 250, 251, 252, 256, 259, 262, 265, 267, 270, 271, 279, 280, 285, 298, 313, 316, 317, 332, 337, 347, 425, 427, 444, 446, 450, 452, 465,467, 468, 469, 471, 476, 478, 484, 487, 497, 498, 501, 509, 515, 517, 518, 520, 573, 587, 592, 605, 607, 608, 636, 641, 672, 673, 681, 694, 726, 799

And that doesn't even count the proposals that the US vetoed that were aimed against Israel.

19. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How many U.N. resolutions have been passed against the Palestinians?
    I mean they kidnap soldiers, launch missiles randomly into Israel, slaughter their own, blow up pizza joints and night clubs, advocate for the express destruction of Israel and the list goes on...

Where are the U.N. sanctions????

If you can't see the world's express anti-Semitism, and see how much more widespread and virulent it is than the animosity shown to ANY other single race or religion, then the holocaust will happen again and this time it will be nuclear and it will end in the destruction of a major portion of the middle east and probably south-east Asia.

This is 1936, the Jews are once again the canary and those who don’t see this will weep.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 20 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]446490[/snapback]</div>
    Those were all despicable atrocities.

However, the examples you gave, with the possible exception of the Armenian Genocide, were not plans to eradicate an entire ethnic, national, racial or religious community off the face of the Earth. After all, that was the stated aim of Hitler's "Final Solution."

No other group in the annals of history of mankind was the object persecutions and massacres for two millennia, like the Jewish people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 22 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]447492[/snapback]</div>
    How do you think that the slippery slope to the Holocaust got started?

It was with desecrations of Jewish graves and vandalism of Jewish houses of worship. The anti-Semitic mind set of Europe of the twenties and thirties is alive and well in Europe of the twenty-first century. So called cultured and educated Europeans are not immune from engaging in ethnic cleansing. One only has to notice what took place in the former Yugoslavia only a few years ago.

Unless we learn from history, it will repeat itself.