1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

European gen3 Prius failings :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GrumpyCabbie, Oct 6, 2013.

1. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Grumpy, I know one difference right off. My USA version 2010's HV battery is NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride), NOT Li-Ion. You did list that as a difference, but they are tried and tested over the last 10 years or more compared to the Li-ion.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's correct. I thought the only prius cars with lithium were Prius + and plug-in ones.

3. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I knew the USA Plug-in was Li-Ion. I thought the Prius + was just a wheel, suspension and cosmetic package. Perhaps all the European Prii are Li-ion? If so, that was the major difference I was seeing in HV battery problems.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, only the new Prius + (your Prius v), PIP and the Yaris HSD. The Auris and the Prius are still Nimh.

I hate having two threads going on a similar subject but I added the following about the failings of the HV batteries in our cars (mine is beginning to cycle more now and quickly maxes out on downward hills).

I think the following could be significant;

Using a car as a taxi is always a good way to show any weaknesses in the design. What affects a taxi in numbers in the early days will probably start to affect private vehicles later. The question would be whether it's the use (and subsequent heat) or just the miles that's causing the issues.

Will a significant number of gen3's start failing at the 80,000/100,000 mile mark in the next few years, or will the problem be restricted to hard worked vehicles only?

My worry, and I appreciate it's just that, is that Toyota UK only felt able to provide a 5 year/60,000 mile hybrid system warranty to the original batch of gen3's. Why? Why reduce it from 8 year/100,000 miles like provided on the gen2? Know something we don't Toyota? Later with all the who-ha about recalls they increased it to 8 year/100,000 miles for gen3's built AFTER June 2010! Again, why? Is there something affecting the first years production of gen3's that was subsequently improved in 2010? Are the failing vehicles all 2009/early 2010 gen3 Prii or just gen3's?

I always thought it weird that the warranty was increased from June 2010, but not for the couple thousand gen3's already on the road. It didn't make sense other than for some sinister reason - a reason that early, higher mileage users are now finding to their detriment.

Why have a hybrid warranty that goes 8 years/100,000 miles for the period 2002 - July 2009 and then Jun 2010 onwards, leaving owners in that blip with 5 years/60,000? I'm now starting to smell a rat.

Here's the official UK warranty info;
    Toyota Warranty | Insurance & Warranty | Toyota UK

5. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YIKES! I bought my 2010 in June '09. Good points Grumpy!