1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured European plugin sales increase 70% from last year

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Jun 5, 2019.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have VW's criminal behavior, in part, to thank for the great news.

Electric Vehicle Sales Up 70% In Europe | CleanTechnica

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  4. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet the freakin morons in the news here says EV`s aint ever gonna catch on and praises Audi`s new diesel engines theyre gonna put in the new RS6... Propaganda news... They dont share shiz of when VW group cheats on emmisions (which is so often its getting ridiculous). They didnt even update their posts about the article from Mercedes benz that said buying a brand new C-class was better for the enviroment than a buying a model 3, that article was called out as b*llsh*t 1 hour after it was published by daimler, but the media didnt update that... All you see here is "tesla cant afford to give its staff toilet paper" (which is a lie, they took that from an incredibly unreliable source), "Musk`s plan aint going as he hoped", "tesla with autopilot crashed" (which happens once every 3 months cause of an idiot owner, not the cars fault at all) and all sorts of BS... Its gettin so obvious media here is on daimler and VW group`s payroll (maybe VW group will change considering how much money theyve put into the new 2022 VW bus, 2020 VW ID and that new 2021 crossover, but i dont see mercedes doing that)... Mercedes-benz (called, "bertel og steen" in norway) is loosing so much money they have to fire 35 employees every month, and yearly they loose 20 million dollars (200 million NOK) cause noone chooses new mercedes`s over Tesla`s. Media is doing everything they can do to praise the diesels and share crap about EV`s... I actually dont think mercedes will survive until 2025 unless they start making BEV`s, EQC is not enough... Atleast not for us here...
    (and btw, i love ICE vehicles and i love seeing what car manifacturers can do with 100 yr old technology, its just that it aint the future. We have done all we can with ICE, they cant really be perfected any more. Whilst EV`s got alot of room for improvement, no doubt EV`s will be able to not just beat ICE in performance, practicality and maintenance, but will also be able to beat them in range in the very near future. New roadster for example with its 200KWT battery and 1000km+ range and insane performance... And im looking forward to see what Rivian can do, Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk have always been competetive to eachother, so seeing Rivian and Tesla fight for 1st place will benefit us all.)

And just to brag, here is how new-car sales looks like in Norway.

This is how sales looked like here last month (May 2019).
    Bilsalget i mai 2019 – Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

Petrol: 18,4% (last May it was 26%, so its going down and that fast)
    Diesel: 17,2% (last May it was 17,4%)
    Hybrids: 28,9% (Majority of these hybrids are the toyota RAV4 hybrid and corolla Hybrid thats being delivered now in May)
    BEV`s: 35.5% (last may it was 22.5%)

Best month for electric vehicles was in Mars 2019 though.
    Bilsalget i mars 2019 – Opplysningsrådet for veitrafikken

petrol: 12,3%
    diesel: 10,4%
    hybrids: 18,9%
    BEV`s: 58,4% (out of total 18 375 sold that month, 5315 of them was tesla Model 3`s, model 3 set a new record in most cars sold in a month in Norway).

Why do people buy plug in hybrids when they only use em as electric cars anyways? (thats what most people here do). Is it cause of their range anxiety?

bisco likes this.
  5. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is not the case yet. Mazda has some new innovations in their new engines, as just one example. Toyota has increased the efficiency of their Atkinson cycle engine every generation, now above 40%.

6. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But doesnt my point still kinda stand... That EV`s got more room for perfection than what ICE got? Considering we have had ICE engines for 100 years. With batteries we keep having new break through`s (as Maxwell has done now), while we cant really do anything more with the petrol tank of an ICE. My question only is how efficient they can make ICE, like, will they ever reach 2.5L/100km or some crazy like that, that wouldve been an insane breakthrough.

bisco likes this.
  7. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    EV's certainly have room for improvement, but there will never be perfection. In Norway the range problem isn't as much an issue as here in the US (Norway is about as big as the state of Montana, for example). I bought a Prime specifically for the range that no EV can match, and I can buy fuel pretty much everywhere, but can't charge an EV everywhere.

8. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well yea, Norway aint big lol, but still.. Plug in hybrids dont have that great of a range anyways... Cause their petrol tank is half of what it normally is in a normal ICE. IF they made the tanks bigger, and maybe used more effiecient batteries that BEV`s use. They could have range`s over 1000km, perfect for the states. And isnt the Tesla charging system very well built out there? What if you got a model 3 instead for example? or is it a price difference? Here an model 3 costs as much as a prime... Which is why the prime sells so bad here...
    And cant all EV`s charge on Tesla stations? Havent tesla said that its pretty much open for whoever wants to use it? I know Rivian said no though.. But thats only cause of the feud between Musk and Bezos...

bisco likes this.
  9. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And VW is making electric ID.3 what people are pre buying even no one has seen it ready. VW religion is insane here at EU....

10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you fully refuel your Prime at home?

Mike

11. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes in most cases but not everywhere.

Only Tesla's can use the Superchargers as of today.
    First, the charger port is different, physically.
    Second, the Supercharger station ID's the car in order to get billing info.
    Third, no other car maker has negotiated with Tesla and come to an agreement, that we know of.

Mike

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  12. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, with two 5-gallon cans of fuel.

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The US-spec prime has an 11.4 gallon tank, which is typically adequate for over 600 miles of range, on top of the approx 25-30 miles available in the traction battery if fully charged. The EPA-estimated total driving range is 640 miles (1020 km), and this is conservative, as most owners routinely exceed the EPA estimates for fuel economy.

For twice the cost of the Prime, I can get a Model 3 with half the range (310 miles). And in many of the places I travel, there is no available fast charging (or even any charging), so that range is inadequate for me.

#13 jb in NE, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  14. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We could likely say the same for Tesla religion in the US. Tesla sold a lot of Model 3's before they even built one.

15. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see... Here the prime is rated to get 800km of range in total (it gets 600-700 in real life driving, like the regular prius really...)... And the model 3 is pretty much the same price as the prime here which is why i brought it up. Plus there is lots of chargers around here, and cause Norway is only the size of one state in USA lol.

16. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    But, it is a big state...

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    tesla? Religion? hardly, as prior to their cheating software, they were the largest seller in the world. So.... compared to less than 1% of world market tesla? Ok.
    and vw will sell it cheap. About ½ the cost of a comprable Tesla. Must be nice .... to have billions of criminal fines that you have to pay, & you get to use it to try to destroy the competition by taking those funds to build out infrastructure & cars thst they could have produced (& probably don't even want to) over ½ decade ago.

#17 hill, Jun 10, 2019
  18. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A month or so after I got my PIP (summer 2012) I was invited to a market research study where I drove about 6 different EVs/PHEVs and had to answer about 25 questions about each one as I drove through the same several mile course. At the end it was revealed it was VW's research and one of the cars was theirs. My fault: I guess I didn't say I liked it enough.

Mike

19. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm not following you here. VW paid the fines and it up to the states, governments and other entities that received those fines to spend the money. They have quite a bit of latitude on where they spend it.

Perhaps because they know how to mass produce cars and Tesla has not yet figured it out.

US Sales 2018 - VW 354K, Tesla 191K
    Europe Sales 2018 - VW 1.72 M, Tesla 29K
    China sales 2018 - VW 3.13 million, Tesla apparently zero since they aren't listed in carsalesbase.com

#19 jb in NE, Jun 10, 2019
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Perhaps it's just my naivete - states sinking much of their piece of the pie into EV-Go - the very system VW has chosen to use for much of their Quick Charge infrastructure ... & seeing the results of lobby influence ....
    sorry for poor wording - but yes - that states the point much better. Tesla, compared to VW isn't even a blip on the radar compared to VW.