1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured EV and plug-in chart

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 1, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

[​IMG]
    • Prius Prime - appears to be a popular plug-in hybrid even though SouthEast and Midwest Toyota won't sell them! No advertising along with limited availability.
    • Model X/S - are trending upwards but they are 2-4x the cost of a Prius Prime. Not bad for cars like the Prius Prime that are not advertised and can't be 'sold' in some states.
    Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    telmo744 likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... I guess you'll just have to use your imagination about where the Tesla numbers go on that chart... Their numbers don't even fit on the chart. And all signs point to this going on like this for at least a couple more years as all the other car makers are painfully behind...

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There was a time when Prius sales were 2-3x the next best sellers. For a while, I had to use two Y-axis with different scales. But with the changes in Hybridcars.com, we've been hurt by the lack of credible source for monthly sales numbers until now.

Bob Wilson

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember those days... We thought everyone loved Prius so much... But as time went by we learned it was out of necessity, not because Prius design was easy on the eyes.

On the other hand the Model 3 Teslas are so easy on the eyes, I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now there isn't much change to the overall design of the Model 3 body.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am actually a bit concerned about this.
    A small part of me always thought the hybrid market would have grown more if the competition had been more robust.
    I don’t know if the other companies simply weren’t interested, couldn’t do as well because of patents, or something else.
    Obviously, the hybrid market wouldn’t have done better if Toyota had lessened their efforts, but I think all participants would have done better if more manufacturers had raised their game.

In the US market, I don’t see Tesla delivering much more than September’s deliveries in any month. As they produce more, they will be sending more overseas.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Strangely, I have heard prime ads on local sports radio. Odd venue wIth large bubba audience

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same thing happening with bevs outsIdecali, limited completion.

Speaking of which, I wonder if jags q3 loss will affect their new model

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice month for bolt, leaf still struggling

Prime rebates up in November, toy must need carb credits

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a rather loaded comment... since sedans have a shrinking market anyway. Keep the classic sleek look and call it good. Why not focus resources on the style with a stronger sales potential... hence, Model Y. There's growing talk of a pickup offering too.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And yet you were listening to Sport radio and you ain't no bubba... and I listen to sports radio and I ain't no bubba...

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Point being, when you control more market share than other car makers and it's because of the technology not the appearance you can easily drift into making uglier and uglier cars and not realize it until all the other cars finally adopt your technology and your sales numbers fall off a cliff. That's what currently happening to non-plugin Prius. Ever since Gen2 the cars has looked uglier and uglier every year and that didn't hurt sales figures until hybrid tech was offered in most other Toyota cars.

Screaming Red likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In general, when no other factors are at play... which isn't the situation we are witnessing. There's a profound shift to larger, far less efficient vehicles. In other words, if it doesn't look like a SUV, it will be more difficult to sell. Notice how sales of "ordinary' sedans have also fallen? That's not a coincidence.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That may be true where you live & also where I am to an extent in PNW but drive South to California and you see sedans 5 to 1 compared to SUV and growth of smaller car sales keeps accelerating in California for a long time now. .

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The model 3 had a bad month, likely letting the factory workers rest and do normal shifts, likely retooling and tests for the mid-range, along with more vehicles in transit, october sales dropped to 17,750 from 22,250 in September. This was the 3rd highest month though. Bloomberg estimates they are being produced at a rate of 4,669. My guess is around 45,000 model 3s will reach customers in November and December, but some may be in Canada and/or Europe. Let's say 40K which would bring model 3 US sales to around 136,000 for the year.
    I believe they would have upped the percent in 2007-2015, but I doubt hybrids would be selling much better in the US today. If the vw had jumped on the hybrid band wagon perhaps it would have shifted from diesel and hybrid sales would be bigger in europe.

I think in 2020 costs and prices will be down, in 2021 the model Y should be in volume production, along with likely improvements in the model S.

December 2021, my bet is tesla is more than double september 2018 sales in the US, and if the chinese factory is built by then, china will be equal to the US in volume.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prime sales get a boost from discounts and incentives making it the same price or less to the buyer than the standard Prius.
    Diversification of the hybrid market is what is keeping the segment's numbers up. Really need a working truck hybrid for larger growth. The two-mode attempt showed that cost and performance was not at the point of being viable back then. At this point, truck hybrids might just skip the traditional version.

NiMH also isn't a cheap chemistry considering the rarity of its necessary element, and Toyota had the market cornered there. So the others had to branch out to lithium, which also wasn't cheap at the time.

Fuel prices had more to do with it than car appearance. When Prius sales started their main decline, the only other Toyota hybrids available were the Camry, whose MPG gains weren't enough for the price and loss of trunk space to many, and the Highlander that was simply expensive. Honda hybrid reputation was in the toilet then. Leaving Ford as the only other hybrid main option. The Fusion has the same issues as the Camry, and the C-max was more conventional, but still a hatchback in a sedan or crossover market.

Zythryn likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our son is looking at an equinox (iirc) with diesel and start/stop tech, nearly doubles the mpg over gas

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Double of 28 MPG (combined for 2018 Chevrolet Equinox FWD 1.5 L, 4 cyl, Automatic 6-spd, Turbo, Regular Gasoline) is not the 32 MPG (2018 Chevrolet Equinox FWD 1.6 L, 4 cyl, Automatic 6-spd, Turbo, Diesel) rating no matter how you consider it, nor are the city or highway ratings.

The outgoing RAV4 hybrids (to be replaced with a next-gen upgrade in a few months) delivers a 32 MPG rating and it is AWD. There's an expectation for it to get a significant efficiency bump, much like what we just witnessed for Camry hybrid. So, it makes no sense whatsoever to consider diesel (which is a more expensive fuel) as an efficiency choice.

We know that turbulence in the oil market is about to get worse, causing gas prices to drop. That positions Toyota well to phaseout their top model of RAV4 as a traditional guzzler, replacing their high-end offering as a hybrid only. It's an important step forward that should not be overlooked... though, it will be. Toyota tends to make significant moves as subtle as possible.

Think about how effectively that sets the stage for a plug-in hybrid model of RAV4.

#17 john1701a, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he is probably looking at the 28 and 39 highway, definitely not double, but not bad. diesel around here is almost the same as gas for some reason.
    he drives a rav 4 now, not that happy with it. maybe too small.

#18 bisco, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many cars and trucks have start/stop systems now. The Malibu we test drove has it standard, so I imagine all the Equinox trims do too. I wouldn't mind trying a diesel car, but diesel is 80 cents more than regular gas a gallon here. The diesel car would have to be priced the same as the gas version to make it worthwhile.

GM diesels can handle up to B20 if its available.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dealer has a couple on the lot he will let go cheap