1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV and voiding the Factory Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jedddelucia, Mar 31, 2007.

1. jedddelucia

jedddelucia New Member

Will the Costal electronics or other mods to install the EV switch void the factory warranty? I could not find this info in other post so I thought that I'd ask.

Also, are there companies that will do this mod for me? I'm in San Francisco.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might need to search a bit harder. There have been tons of posts/threads on this topic since they first offered it.

You can easily do the mod yourself. I've never taken apart a car before and I found the add-on quite easy to install (except for that stupid orange pin which will take a bit of effort).

As for voiding the warranty, unless the part is found to the CAUSE of the issue, the dealers can't legally void it. I'm sure there are other rules to look based on US law.

oh and welcome to PriusChat!

3. jedddelucia

jedddelucia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 31 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]415818[/snapback]</div>
    thaks for the welcome. I did a search for EV warranty and hit nothing. Likelwise with other similar searches. I just treid again and had no luck.

It was not unitl I spelled out "electric Vehicle" that I got something. it was heaplful.

One question that I do have for others who have done the EV mod and had to use the warranty is did you do the Cruise control mod or the button? is it wiser to do a mod which the dealer can not see? do they care? will they know anyway?

Thanks, this is a great forum.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jedddelucia @ Mar 31 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]415839[/snapback]</div>
    you might wanna try the following:

ev mod
    coastal ev
    ev + warranty

I used the cruise

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jedddelucia @ Mar 31 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]415839[/snapback]</div>
    There are dealers that either don't know, don't care or will install it for you. If you're worried about it being discovered when it's in the shop, the mod where you supply your own button would be the best as you can hide the button.

6. jedddelucia

jedddelucia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 1 2007, 01:35 AM) [snapback]415860[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone know these dealers who will install it for me?

7. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 1 2007, 02:35 AM) [snapback]415860[/snapback]</div>
    Wow there are dealers that would install a mod like this? I'm surprised all the local dealers near me seemed to be ignorant of the EV mode and immediately mentioned voiding the warranty when asked about a mod..I know I asked some interesting questions prior to purchasing the vehicle. :)

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jedddelucia @ Apr 1 2007, 01:53 AM) [snapback]415839[/snapback]</div>
    That's because PriusChat's search engine sucks.

To search PriusChat, try a google search with "site:priuschat.com" at the end of the search string. For example, you would enter "EV warranty site:priuschat.com" into the search text box on Google's web page. This will give you 31 pages of hits within the PriusChat.com site.

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ Apr 6 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]418801[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe one or two in the country. There aren't many, but some have posted that they bought the EV mod and had the dealer install it.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Frankly, if I knew of a dealer who would install a modification that would potentially void the factory warranty, I would not post the name of the dealer on a public forum. Do you think that Toyota doesn't monitor this (and other) forum? Nothing like reducing the population of dealers that are willing to be creative and help an owner extend the value proposition of their car....

11. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ Apr 6 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]418801[/snapback]</div>
    Standard, default response, indicating:
    1. I don't know, I just sell them
    2. What does "EV mode" mean?
    3. Probably not, but I'm not sticking my neck out for you
    4. I don't care what you do after you sign and give me a check

I should, however, confess that my saleman was actually quite knowledgeable about the Prius and another model I was looking at.

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Apr 8 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]419840[/snapback]</div>
    My salesman as well as the service manager were very knowledgeable about the EV mode mod as well as the EV conversion. They mentioned the pros and cons (potential warranty voiding) and said if I wanted to do the mod, they (the service mgr.) would be open to doing the work, but I would have to sign a waiver releasing them of liability if the warranty were to be voided by Toyota.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Costal EV switch is fairly easy to install and is not visible. While some anal dealerships may refuse warranty service, it seems unlikely that an honest dealership would, unless a bungled installation was the cause of the problem. Remember, that the only thing this modification does is to install a switch which is included standard on every Prius sold in Japan and Europe and which implements a control function which Toyota built into your car, merely leaving out the switch that turns it on and off!

If you really feel incapable of performing the installation (reasonable if you have very large hands, as the working space is small) post a notice in the "Local Clubs - CA - San Francisco Bay Area" forum of Prius Chat, and I'll be some Prius Chatter in SF would be willing to do it for you.

I have the Costal EV switch and I love it. Using the c/c stalk puts it right at your middle-finger-tip, allowing you to activate it without taking your hand off the wheel or your eye off the road. The only disadvantages are, you have to hold it for 3 seconds (no big deal) and it's hard to activate it while turning, since the c/c stalk rotates with the steering wheel.

14. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 8 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]419836[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I found that out back in 2005. The agency who installed them started the topic (something like "Am I the only dealer that installs the EV mode?").

I installed it myself, after much debating with myself. I decided to after realizing that the EV mode won't work (or will drop out) if the conditions aren't right.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 8 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]420107[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly! This is a function that Toyota has built into the car. But for whatever reason, they decided not to give North Americans the switch that activates it. So some of us have installed the switch ourselves, making our cars work like the Japanese and European Priuses. And Toyota built in all the safeguards to make sure it won't hurt the car. If the conditions are outside the set parameters, the computer says "No" and the car does not go into EV mode, or if in EV mode, it leaves EV mode.

Inappropriate use can reduce your mpg, however. Examples include accelerating under EV mode, or spending too much time in EV.

16. hooch

hooch New Member

This is Toyota's position on modifications.

25. Does Toyota support the modification of my Prius to be a plug-in Hybrid and run on electric mode only with a switch?

Any such alterations, modifications or tampering with the vehicle voids the warranty and is likely to be counterproductive for air quality and Prius’ durability and safety.

Read it at the following link at the bottom of the page;

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/faq.html

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hooch @ Apr 15 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]423615[/snapback]</div>
    This is completely unrelated as it regards making the Prius into a PHEV by adding extra battery capacity. Such a mod dramatically increases the complexity of the system and goes far outside the safety and design parameters for the Prius. Were they to say that they support such then have someone die in a crash due to improperly secured batteries or something then they could, potentially be liable.

OTOH, the Prius was designed and tested with the EV button and is sold with said button in other markets clearly showing that as a company that they do support that particular mod.

There are a number of reasons the button wasn't included in the US. To date the "most official" answer I've seen is that if used before warm-up is complete it's possible that the Catalytic converter will not reach optimal temperture...if not at optimum temperture some increase in emissions could occur. There was concern that such a situation might make the prius not qualify for the PZEV emissions rating it has in the US. This comes from Atilla Vass's discussion with the Chief Prius Engineer Satoshi Ogiso(reference: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=26599 )

Please note that I was one of the first in the US to install an EV mod...that was in late 2003. It's always been a visible button of some sort. I've demonstrated it for the Prius Tech at my dealership. I've demonstrated it to my salesman. I've demonstrated it to the head service manager at the dealership. No one has ever mentioned any warranty concerns. Some dealers will actually install the EV button or other EV mods for you. No one has ever reported any warranty issues related to any EV mod. Several people have run their Prius to well over 100k miles with an EV mod installed without evidence of premature battery failure.

Thus, I do not believe there is ANY warranty issue related to the EV mod. That said, and I always say this. If you are not comfortable with the possibility of being denied warranty replacement of your $4000 battery pack should it fail prematurely then you should not do the EV mod...there is no significant benefit to having the button to justify it's installation other than very slight possible FE benefit and the fun benefit. Likewise, there is no reason for those concerned about warranty issues to make an issue of it with those who have made a decision to install the mod.