1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ev Appointment - Is there a Doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bigmahma, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

Would like to schedule "interview" with someone who has successsfully installed an EV.

Using ECU #27 Plug - with Sigma Switch.

Please PM me with date/time - and I'll call you - my dime.

Thanks!

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ Jul 29 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]487218[/snapback]</div>
    After Nate's episode, I don't think ANY of us have installed that switch!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 29 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]487226[/snapback]</div>
    While you may be accurate that no one has since his episode, that doesn't mean any of us would be discouraged...or at least not all of us. It is clear to me that Nate's issues were completely unrelated to the EV button and that he set a precedent that they won't be able to get away with a blanket denial of warranty repair just b/c there's an EV mod.

I would guess that the majority of people who have installed an EV mod are or have been active on one of the Prius boards and would, should they encounter a similar issue, come here for help.

I would certainly put an EV button in again and wouldn't discourage someone else for that reason alone...but, as always, nobody should put one in expecting improved FE or any measurable benefit. And nobody should put one in who's not willing to accept the possiblity of having to pay for a new battery, new HV ECU, or new inverter should Toyota dig their heels in if one of those breaks.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 29 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]487245[/snapback]</div>
    I was kidding. And being a bit too obtuse, apparently. ;)

Come on. I'm the guy who drills through the roof to mount my roof racks. And I *gasp* tow a trailer with my Prius. The EV button was one of the nicer things I did to the car. ;) I should get a free pass for having an EV button anyway. Afterall, my MAIN car is nothing but EV, so I obviously know what I'm doing in "EV Mode" after 75,000 miles of trouble-free driving!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 30 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]487328[/snapback]</div>
    I figured that...but didn't want the snowball to get rolling for those unaware of your point of view.

Oh, and you have an EV? I don't remember you mentioning that before!

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I've installed the EV mod (simple momentary button to pin #27) to both our Prii. Completely and utterly satisfied...'cept I get piss-poor range compared to Darreldd!!

But I do have a gas engine that is programmed to charge the battery when my EV mod runs low...just like ALL Prii in the entire world...as well as ALL HSD equipped Toyota vehicles. Some even have this EV mod from the factory...AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT.

It's nice to have a 'backup' gas generator to power me thru those times when 1 mile of EV is just not enough. thanks toyota for a great system...now where's my plug-in???

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 30 2007, 06:36 AM) [snapback]487388[/snapback]</div>
    I know, I know. I hear this complaint all the time, "Gosh Darell, you keep so quiet about the EV stuff, I had no idea! You should really speak up more, and let people know that your family uses an EV as your main vehicle." I'll try to do better, but I'm still a bit shy and reserved about all this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Jul 30 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]487402[/snapback]</div>
    The good news about the 1 mile of sub-34mph EV range, is that it can ONLY get better. :)

OK, now I'm starting to feel bad about derailing the thread... but hey, at least it keeps getting bumped!

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 30 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]487522[/snapback]</div>
    I'd love to be Darell's neighbor. It'd be so sweet to see that Rav4 whiiiiz down the road - or see that awesome array at work!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 30 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]487522[/snapback]</div>
    phhhhhhhhh! It gets bumped and everyone learns your an ev nut! What could be better than that?!

9. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Jul 31 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]487888[/snapback]</div>

I've driven a Rav4 EV on the east coast when we visited my partner's family for the Holidays. It was SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Every time I put the Prius into EV mode (the button is standard here in the UK) I sigh and remember what the RAV4 was like, and every time I get in my own EV I sigh that at 45mph with a 50 mile range it's not anywhere near the coolness and sophistication of the RAV.....