1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV-Auto Mode: Warm-Up Cycle?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, Apr 4, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When you're in EV-Auto mode, does the engine go through a full warm-up cycle the first time the engine fires up, or does it just fire up the engine for a quick acceleration burst and immediately shut it down?

iPhone ? Pro

#1 mr88cet, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the engine always has to go through a warm up cycle when first fired up for pollution reasons, and thereafter, has to keep coming on to maintain minimum temp.
    it probably fires immediately, as in hv mode, so it will be ready for use when needed.

dalcon95, HPrimeAdvanced and FA6 like this.
  3. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From my experience, once the ICE kicks in it will stay running till full warm up cycle is done.

dalcon95 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you wouldn't want to use a cold engine for quick acceleration bursts either. probably would kill it in no time flat.

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, if it's really just for a second once every minute or two, then probably not a big concern.

iPad ? Pro

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe. i'm no expert on cold dry engine wear. but i suppose it has to happen on regular cars.

7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If they turn on the engine to warm it up, it'll run cold for a short time as well.

Either way, the fact that they run the coolant past the catalytic converter should warm it up pretty quickly though.

8. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    I originally thought that I would leave the car in EV-Auto all the time but exactly these issues of ICE warm-up and then premature cooling off have convinced me to manually choose HV from EV mode. For my use the transition is once per trip.

mr88cet and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, that would drive me crazy. and you're in a warmish clime.

mr88cet likes this.
  10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Right answer, best I can tell.

iPhone ? Pro

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since the system spins up the ICE with MG1 to a higher rpm than a traditional starter, i would not worry about engine wear; the oil pump is spinning at the same time.

Warming up the engine means it will be more efficient and cleaner running the next time it is needed.

dalcon95, Nic Steussy and FA6 like this.
  12. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, based upon my Gen-2 experiences, I've always been a bit annoyed that they automatically assume that there will be a "next time." My view is that they should run the engine when and if it's needed. To whatever degree the ICE is needed, then it will warm up and operate more efficiently, but if it's not needed, you won't automatically/presumptuously waste gas warming it up. On my Gen-2, it's pretty nearly a given that you'll need the ICE, but on the P.Prime, that's waaaay far from a given.

iPad ? Pro

NR427 likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In Japan, hybrids and some BEVs came out of the MITI LEV program. The program started back in the 1970s, IIRC, and were aimed at lowering vehicle emissions within cities.

toyota's goal with the Prius and following hybrids was for the lowest emissions possible. Reducing fuel comes second. Not warming up the ICE when first used means more emissions if it needs to fire up again later.

With the exhaust heat recovery and other improvements, the gen3 Prius was warming up in less time than the 3 to 4 minutes of a typical car mentioned in the following article. So the cost in terms of fuel use to reach operating temps is tiny. Then the benefits of a hot start on emissions can still have a positive impact up to 45 minutes after ICE shut off.

http://www.caee.utexas.edu/prof/kockelman/public_html/TRB15coldstarts.pdf
    "Existing literature, as well as analytical tools like the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES), indicate that while total vehicle emissions have dropped significantly in recent years, those associated with cold starts can still constitute up to 80% for some pollutant species. Starting emissions are consistently found to make up a high proportion of total transportation-related methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). After three to four minutes of vehicle operation, both the engine coolant and the catalytic converter have generally warmed, and emissions are significantly lower. This effect lasts roughly 45 minutes after the engine is shut off, though the cooling rate depends greatly on the emission species and ambient temperature.
    Excess emissions attributable to cold starts vary widely by pollutant species, accounting for 10 to 30% of total mobile source emissions in most cases.
    Research in Europe suggests cold start emissions may comprise as much as 50% of urban driving emissions
    According to the EPA (2011), a hot start after a soak period of three minutes results in average increases of less than 10% in CO, HC, and NOx emissions, per mile traveled (as compared to hot running levels). After just 45 minutes, the catalytic converter has cooled significantly, and CO and HC are halfway back to cold-start levels, while NOx has recovered more than 85% of the difference. "

Nic Steussy and mr88cet like this.
  14. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    To the writer and reader of a scientific article, 'significant' means very high likelihood of a non zero difference.

15. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have test driven Sonata and Optima plug ins and one of the things I like most about them is they don't run the ice if power is not needed. I drive a lot of short trips and the warm up penalty drives me crazy!

16. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's the trouble/cost of living in nasty weather. My ICE is slumbering without startups for days. I'm a happy California boy (67+ years old). Our penalty out here is crowds, and much less of that pristine beauty from frequent rains and empty horizons. Everything has it's price.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know, there is more to California than the LA and San Francisco Bay areas. Speaking as an escapee from the Bay Area.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  18. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Which is what makes California so wonderful. It's just that I'm entrenched here in Socal and hence recount my adventures from that vantage point. I'm locked into this area because of family ties, particularly 3 kids and 6 grandkids.
    Most of my original family spread out in France.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

CharlesH likes this.
  19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Started out with a full charge in EV mode. 0.5 miles down the road, switched from to EV-Auto, ICE did not come on. At 1 mile, stopped at a traffic light. ICE did not come on. Therefore, there is no warm up cycle when in EV-auto mode.

#19 MikeDee, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    mr88cet likes this.
  20. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, I gather that means that you didn't need to "punch it" during that trip?

I think I recall two reviewers saying that they typically keep it in EV-Auto mode and get EV operation 65% or so of the time.

From what I've heard though, here and on YouTube, EV Auto mode pretty much only kicks in HV mode when you need high acceleration, and not, for example, for sustained high-speed driving.

I don't immediately imagine myself using EV Auto much, as best I understand how it works, because I don't have many situations where I need bursts of acceleration. I anticipate:
    1. The daily commute: 19ish miles to work in pure EV mode, charged at home. 19 miles back home, also in pure EV mode, charged at work.
    2. On medium-distance trips, such as 80ish-mile trips to and from state parks, or just in general when the EV range is low and I know I have a fair distance yet to go: Pure EV Mode up to 50ish MPH, and HV Mode above 50. Maybe use EV Auto here instead of pure EV Mode.
    3. Long trips, like visiting my mom and sister in Houston (from and back to Austin): Pure HV Mode, keeping the battery mostly charged for use when I get there, or for emergencies (e.g., running out/way low of gas, or engine failure).

iPhone ? Pro